Seeking info on a OMark 44

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Seeking info on a OMark 44

Post by rgehrig » 01 Feb 2017, 5:01 pm

Hi

Just got my first Sportco (OMark) 44 in 7.62x51.
Label.jpg
Label.jpg (639.16 KiB) Viewed 4110 times

Seeking some information on it.
Whose front sight does it have?
Front_Sight.jpg
Front_Sight.jpg (376.2 KiB) Viewed 4110 times

Are inserts available?

Whose stock does it have?
Stock.jpg
Stock.jpg (502.14 KiB) Viewed 4110 times

It has a Central Rear Sight, not sure of its Providence.
Rear_Sight.jpg
Rear_Sight.jpg (1009.08 KiB) Viewed 4110 times

Will have to take stock off again to get photo of trigger.

Any info on mounting stock to action as it was shipped with stock removed from action.

Thanks
rgehrig
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Re: Seeking info on a OMark 44

Post by pomemax » 02 Feb 2017, 12:10 am

may have to ask what brand of barrell and stock it has on a omark action ,
barrell should full float to action only 2 screws think I torqued mine up to about 60 will check at weekend did you buy from aust or us in us a lot were made into Palma rifles i think they were called take a look at this one its a fair looking the stock in front of cheek rest and barrell smooth not fluted
Sportco Omark Model 44 Front Peep Sight $ 50 second hand
central peep sight rear $ 200 second hand about for a good one
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by rgehrig » 02 Feb 2017, 12:50 am

Bought it in Australia. Back in March 2016. Finally made it to me a couple of days ago.
When shipped to USA it disappeared after being unloaded from aircraft on Oct 21 2016.
Our working theory is that it fell down behind a shelf when unloaded from trolley at US Customs.
After filing a stolen gun report with US Post Office and BATFE, we suspect a through search was made at Chicago Airport and it was finally found where it had fallen behind something.

Back to the front sight. Both ends unscrew. The front piece has a lens, the rear piece locks the insert. Any idea if that type was made for the Sportco or an aftermarket type. Where would I measure for the insert size?
rgehrig
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Wm.Traynor » 02 Feb 2017, 1:06 pm

rgehrig,
This site might be of interest to you. http://www.qldrifle.com/shop-q-store
re "inserts" Measure the internal diameter of the tube in millimetres. That will give you the tunnel-size of the fore sight elements.

"mounting the stock"
No idea how your Omark is bedded. One of mine had the rear bolt in front of the trigger but that was a custom job, performed by a 'smith. The action from the trigger back, simply floated. Standard position was in the tang. Often, in custom jobs, the safety was deleted. In others, pillars were added.

Your poor Central is in bad nick. I have never seen rust like that. There should be experts here who can tell you how to proceed but above all, don't wind the knobs in case the rust enters the elevation and windage nuts. In the meantime, hose it with G96 and just let it soak.

Fore sight tunnel
I am wondering how good the tunnel looks through the peep. Does the "knurled edge" of the tube that is screwed in to the tunnel-mount, look precise enough through the peep? In some cases it might be sharp, depending on your eyesight. Mine had a "plain" circumference and was a bit fuzzy but speaking for myself only, I think yours might give me a problem with centreing it in the peep. I keep wondering if the front and rear tubes should be exchanged, one for the other: swapped around, that is :)

If you are not experienced, choosing a fore sight element will be a Herculean task, especially if you need an Eagle Eye and a corrective lens, like I did but Good Luck and let us know how you go.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Sumo » 02 Feb 2017, 1:15 pm

Front sight looks like an Anshutz 18mm. It will be easy to get elements or a modern variable iris to fit.
www.sumosight.com
Sumo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rgehrig » 04 Feb 2017, 12:59 am

Measured the Front sight. The dia of the piece that holds the insert in place is .590" or 15mm which appears to be Parker Hale dimensions. Have ordered a set of inserts.
Does Shooting Industries Australia still repair Central Sights ?
I found another # 4 sight that I had bought some time back. It is in pretty good shape.
Will try to get to the range this coming week after I get the inserts in.
One other item of interest. There is a small lens screwed into the Central sight. Combined with the lens in the Front sight it appears to magnify the target.
rgehrig
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Feb 2017, 9:26 pm

re S I A http://www.shootingindustriesautralia.c ... epairs.php According to that page they fix Centrals.
The tunnel. Never heard of a Commercial lens in a P-H tunnel but I am no expert, so there could be an Eagle Eye in there somewhere. You say that "Combined" with the lens in the rear sight, that the target is magnified. Therefore you tried it Without the rear lens. Is that right? If so, you have a simple telescope. Someone has been Very, Very, Naughty :shock:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by rgehrig » 05 Feb 2017, 12:48 am

I will be sending the # 4 sight to Shooting Industries for refurb. I have a spare # 4 that I acquired a year ago that I will use till I get the one that came with the rifle back. Yes someone has been a naughty person, building a telescope into the sights. It will be interesting to test with and without the lenses in various configurations. But at my age, with my eyes, I need every advantage I can get.
Does any one have any documentation on the rifle (manual) that they could scan and send to me.
I would like to be able to strip and clean the bolt, and adjust the trigger.
Thanks
rgehrig
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by combo12 » 05 Feb 2017, 6:18 am

I am guessing what you have there in your aperture sights is an 'Eagle Eye' enhancer. You can buy these add-ons and many (older?) shooters use them. Legitimate in competition these days? Worth a Google...
combo12
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Feb 2017, 9:35 am

The firing pin, spring and cocking piece can be removed easily after the whole bolt is removed in the cocked condition. Hold the body in your left hand, handle pointing toward you and the cocking piece in the right, with the thumb on the underside. With the right thumb, force the CP in a clockwise direction when viewed from the rear. Doing that will expose a slot in a rear-end part of the firing pin. Fit a drill bit in to the slot carefully while rotating the CP anti CW. The firing pin etc., will unscrew :D
My memory on disassembling the rest is hazy. It is very difficult however. A pin retains the spring, FP etc., which is about 3/32" diameter. I used to force the point of the FP into soft wood while shoving with one hand from the end. You had to "hollow" your shoving hand to allow the rear-end of the FP to travel through the CP. A hole (in the CP?) would expose the pin. Then you push it out with a punch. Much easier said than done.
Having typed all that, I wonder if there is a vid on youtube? :)
Good luck mate :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles