Sighting in with a vice question

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Sighting in with a vice question

Post by Adlippy » 05 Feb 2017, 1:08 pm

G'day
Was talking to some of the lads the other night around a fire and esky, dangerous mix those two, and once we got away from the shooting bunnies from 5 kms away with a 22 bull, the subject of sighting in a rifle with a vice ( the work bench variety) came up. I totally get how they do it but my question is wouldn't it damage the rifle? , I mean on the recoil side of things , obviously you would only tighten the vice so the rifle is snug, but that rearward pressure has to go somewhere doesn't it, something would have to give. I did ask the lads but by that stage they were starting to speak a rare African language and we're only interested in solving world peace :drinks:
Sako Finn Fire II 22lr, Nikon pro staff 3x9x40
Sako Finn fire II 17HMR, Meopta Meopro 3x12x50
Tikka Hunter 22-250 Meopta Meopro 6x18x50
Stoeger condor 12g
Adlippy
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Sighting in with a vice question

Post by bladeracer » 05 Feb 2017, 1:23 pm

Adlippy wrote:G'day
Was talking to some of the lads the other night around a fire and esky, dangerous mix those two, and once we got away from the shooting bunnies from 5 kms away with a 22 bull, the subject of sighting in a rifle with a vice ( the work bench variety) came up. I totally get how they do it but my question is wouldn't it damage the rifle? , I mean on the recoil side of things , obviously you would only tighten the vice so the rifle is snug, but that rearward pressure has to go somewhere doesn't it, something would have to give. I did ask the lads but by that stage they were starting to speak a rare African language and we're only interested in solving world peace :drinks:

I can't see any value at all in trying to sight anything in from a vice, unless you will have that vice with you in the field or at the range every time you shoot.

It can be useful to determine accuracy potential, but I doubt any better than simply shooting well off a bench.

Sight a rifle in under the same conditions you plan to use it.
If you normally use a bipod off a shooting mat then zero under those conditions.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Feb 2017, 4:15 pm

Agree with Adlippy. The recoil would do damage. Don't let those blokes tinker with your rifle :shock:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Hadoku » 14 Feb 2017, 2:32 pm

Adlippy wrote:I totally get how they do it but my question is wouldn't it damage the rifle?

People have split stocks doing it, yes.

Videos about of it happening if you Google.
Hadoku
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles