Developing a California legal AR lower (In WA)

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Developing a California legal AR lower (In WA)

Post by sebrule » 07 Feb 2017, 12:07 pm

Hello all.

I'm looking at developing a California legal AR lower.

My basic concept is to have a lower and upper that has a quick release, disengaging the action without removing the Take down pin.

I have been in touch with WA state firearm licence department. (I have say was the nicest conversation I have had in a long time).

We come to the conclusion that I'm allowed to develop blueprints.

My next problem would be finding a local manufacturer that can built the proposed upper and lower. I do not repeat do not want to build the full firearm.

It would need to be tested for fitments. If the concept works without problems I would like to patent the lower and sell it off the USA.

I have been told that in WA that I can't have manufacture cat d parts for civilian use to export on an ongoing basis to the USA. Plus Americans probably wouldn't buy Australian made AR parts

My reason for not going straight to a US manufacturer is I have been stung with an idea before.
sebrule
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Developing a California legal AR lower (In WA)

Post by wrenchman » 07 Feb 2017, 2:11 pm

we would not care if they were made there you have a country with a history of great rifle men
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 07 Feb 2017, 3:58 pm

sebrule wrote:My next problem would be finding a local manufacturer that can built the proposed upper and lower. I do not repeat do not want to build the full firearm.

Surely you would need to build at least a few complete rifles to be able to test it in the field before you could consider going into production?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sebrule » 07 Feb 2017, 5:10 pm

Unfortunately I can't do it in Western Australia, I'll have a guest the the rest of Australia is the same.

From what firearm licencing could inform me is that to build and test a cat d it needs to get approval.
Now that has an either civilian or military option.
Civilian needs a lot of government red tape. Was told he doesn't see it getting through for this idea.
Military well that's a very different thing and I wouldn't know where to start/look

Now there might be ways to legally do it. Eg why I have asked the question.

If I can't do it here, that's the most likely case I'll have the patent it here then get someone in the US or NZ to do it for me.

Sorry if my reply looks rushed just on the phone replying on break
sebrule
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by pete1 » 07 Feb 2017, 5:19 pm

sebrule wrote:Unfortunately I can't do it in Western Australia, I'll have a guest the the rest of Australia is the same.

From what firearm licencing could inform me is that to build and test a cat d it needs to get approval.
Now that has an either civilian or military option.
Civilian needs a lot of government red tape. Was told he doesn't see it getting through for this idea.
Military well that's a very different thing and I wouldn't know where to start/look

Now there might be ways to legally do it. Eg why I have asked the question.

If I can't do it here, that's the most likely case I'll have the patent it here then get someone in the US or NZ to do it for me.

Sorry if my reply looks rushed just on the phone replying on break

New Zealand probably not a bad bet as its only few hours away. I think the SSAA have firearm law consultants, don't know what it costs or if you have to be a member but may be able to give some handy advice. I have heard in VIC if you have a dealer licence you can practically manufacture a firearm and register it, don't know how true and to what extent.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 07 Feb 2017, 10:21 pm

I'm sorry, but for some reason I can't tell if your Cali AR would be intended for the US market or Aussie market. I assume the US market. Yes, I know, no semis in OZ, I am reminded every day even though I have been on the forum for years. I just can't tell what you intend to do.

ARs are like water here. Dirt cheap. including Cali ARs. You can buy or build an AR for $450 or even less, although what I have cost more. Lower receivers can cost $40. And all of it is piled up all over gun stores and warehouses because everybody that wants one already has five and everybody that doesn't has one. I would be cautious about trying to get into this business. Cali ARs are a very limited market. BTW, I think Cali just passed (proposed?) further restrictions on ARs (because they are so close to North Korea and the damn commie Chinese) and there is no telling what they will do next. So the market could be timid with things fluctuating there. Fortunately, most of the US is headed in the opposite direction. Hey, maybe that means they'll break off and fall into the ocean! :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by sebrule » 07 Feb 2017, 11:41 pm

Title_ll do you have a link to any further legislation?

Yes my target is the Californian market.

Yeah it's a chance game with cali. Brown is really taken the game play from our own Johnnie Howard (though I believe brown was elected into his first term in the 80's)
sebrule
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 07 Feb 2017, 11:53 pm

I don't pay very close attention to what happens out there, I've just seen some bitching and articles. I would do the same as you and use a web search.

Also, we have a ban on many types of imports unless they have a "sporting purpose" exception. I don't know all the details of that, either, perhaps you already do. But it might suggest where your rifle should be made depending upon the details. I believe it's under 922(r)

By the way, Calguns.net is a very active firearms forum with the latest information about Cali as well as many industry and legal experts.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Centerfire rifles