What cleaning product do you use for long arms

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

What cleaning product do you use for long arms

Post by 1sikxt » 11 Feb 2017, 4:21 pm

Hey guys just wondering what product people are using to clean copper and carbon build up in rifles I've just ordered some wipe out patch out + accelerator has any one had much to do with this product also like to hear what everyone else is using
Howa 204 varmint
Anschütz 1530 222
Savage 12 223
Weatherby 22-250
Savage custom 10 243
Savage 10 308
Savage 12 308
Savage 110 338 lap fcp
Lithgow 22
Brno 1 22
Webley and scott 12g
1sikxt
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: What cleaning product do you use for long arms

Post by bladeracer » 11 Feb 2017, 4:50 pm

1sikxt wrote:Hey guys just wondering what product people are using to clean copper and carbon build up in rifles I've just ordered some wipe out patch out + accelerator has any one had much to do with this product also like to hear what everyone else is using

I bought some Outers Nitro Solvent Gun Cleaner specifically to clean the bore of my father-in-law's Remington 510 - he was certain it was fouled up from never having been cleaned.

It works as well as I could expect any bore cleaner to so I've stayed with it for all my firearms, except blackpowder. Rarely do I need to use a brush to clean the bores, less than ten patches is usually sufficient.
For blackpowder I'm using Hornady's One Shot Muzzle Loader Cleaner.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Barnard » 11 Feb 2017, 6:15 pm

carbon = KG1
copper = KG12
polishing new barrel throats = KG2
general purpose barrel cleaner = Butch's Bore Shine.
Barnard
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 11 Feb 2017, 6:31 pm

Hoppes 9
Hoppes Copper

Old school.

You guys are shooting further than me, though, with more accurate rifles. that being said, I have some professional experience in that area, and the people that do not clean until the rounds start walking tend to shoot better than the people that clean no matter what and fire some fouling shots. Your mileage may vary. Or kilometerage. Is that a word? :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Mick280 » 11 Feb 2017, 7:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:
1sikxt wrote:Hey guys just wondering what product people are using to clean copper and carbon build up in rifles I've just ordered some wipe out patch out + accelerator has any one had much to do with this product also like to hear what everyone else is using

I bought some Outers Nitro Solvent Gun Cleaner specifically to clean the bore of my father-in-law's Remington 510 - he was certain it was fouled up from never having been cleaned.

It works as well as I could expect any bore cleaner to so I've stayed with it for all my firearms, except blackpowder. Rarely do I need to use a brush to clean the bores, less than ten patches is usually sufficient.
For blackpowder I'm using Hornady's One Shot Muzzle Loader Cleaner.

I'm looking at having a crack at some BP loads for some of my guns,I have a mate that shoots only BP with his Single Action shooting and was telling me he only ever uses baby wipes to clean up his guns!!
He says it works a treat,Have any of you guys heard of this or do the same?
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 11 Feb 2017, 7:49 pm

1sikxt
Congratulations on being able to get Wipeout :o Never been able to get it myself. Patch out with carbon remover until they come out pretty clean. Squirt carbon cleaner/solvent on a bronze brush and stroke the bore, one stroke for every shot fired. Patch out. Apply copper solvent to the bore to remove jacket fouling and brass from the bronze brush. Do not use a brass jag. Squirt the solvent into the bore with a syringe and rubber hose. A tight bristle brush is OK :)

Any brand you like. I forget what I use :lol: 8-)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by 1sikxt » 11 Feb 2017, 8:07 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:1sikxt
Congratulations on being able to get Wipeout :o Never been able to get it myself. Patch out with carbon remover until they come out pretty clean. Squirt carbon cleaner/solvent on a bronze brush and stroke the bore, one stroke for every shot fired. Patch out. Apply copper solvent to the bore to remove jacket fouling and brass from the bronze brush. Do not use a brass jag. Squirt the solvent into the bore with a syringe and rubber hose. A tight bristle brush is OK :)

Any brand you like. I forget what I use :lol: 8-)

I'm keen to give it a go I haven't read a bad thing yet I'll see how it works and then I'll stock up if it does work my old mans got a 30-06 that he's never cleaned only ever ran a oil patch threw it and now it won't group so it could be a good candidate
Howa 204 varmint
Anschütz 1530 222
Savage 12 223
Weatherby 22-250
Savage custom 10 243
Savage 10 308
Savage 12 308
Savage 110 338 lap fcp
Lithgow 22
Brno 1 22
Webley and scott 12g
1sikxt
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Feb 2017, 11:03 am

Ive used wipe out patch out, sweets, bortech, hoppes, G96 - they all work and hard to say if 1 works better than the others without the use of a bore scope to help work it out.

I use innox or lanox or G96 or sewing machine oil to help protect them from rust.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mitch » 12 Feb 2017, 11:09 am

Kleen bore foaming bore cleaner, then g96 to preserve
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles