Burn marks on shoulder of 223 brass

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Burn marks on shoulder of 223 brass

Post by Dylan.m » 28 Nov 2013, 9:39 am

Im looking at buying a match grade rifle off a friend.

It shoots really good, got a 97% at 300m with it. The only problem is there are burn mark around where the shoulder is on the cases, it looks like a burn ring that goes all the way around the case.

I'm wondering what that is... Every one at the range was stumped why it was happening.
Dylan.m
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Burn marks on shoulder of 223 brass

Post by Aster » 28 Nov 2013, 10:17 am

When you say "was" happening?

It just happened a few times on a few cartridges?

Or it's still happening and every brass has burn marks on the shoulder?
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Dylan.m » 28 Nov 2013, 12:00 pm

Aster wrote:When you say "was" happening?

It just happened a few times on a few cartridges?

Or it's still happening and every brass has burn marks on the shoulder?

my dad and i rang a friend who's a gun smith who build high end match grade rifles and he said don't touch it gass's are leaking from the actual chamber all the way past the neck of the case all the way to the shoulder so if it doing that it a real problem now this guy has his cases matched to this rifle they where really tight getting in there and it still leaking. so it sounds to me this rifle is really buggered and he want to get rid of it.
Dylan.m
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gregg » 28 Nov 2013, 1:25 pm

Dylan.m wrote:he said don't touch it gass's are leaking from the actual chamber all the way past the neck of the case all the way to the shoulder so if it doing that it a real problem

Yep, sounds like it's flooding the chamber with burning powder.

It won't last long like that and definitely isn't something I'd be interesting in having my face resting on.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Dylan.m » 28 Nov 2013, 1:40 pm

Gregg wrote:
Dylan.m wrote:he said don't touch it gass's are leaking from the actual chamber all the way past the neck of the case all the way to the shoulder so if it doing that it a real problem

Yep, sounds like it's flooding the chamber with burning powder.

It won't last long like that and definitely isn't something I'd be interesting in having my face resting on.

yeah that my thoughts exactly i don't think it was a problem if we used his brass because it sized for his chamber as soon as i stick mine through though i think any thing can happen.

Im pretty sure he knows what going on with this rifle too this guy know way to much about guns and reloading to miss some thing like that.
Dylan.m
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 28 Nov 2013, 1:51 pm

Sounds like he might have a head space issue? His brass has probably just expanded enough to fill the void while your correctly sized brass still has a gap which is letting the burning gas in.

If you can, it would be worth measuring his brass vs a new brass and see if/what the difference is around the shoulder.

I suspect you will find your answer there.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Dylan.m » 28 Nov 2013, 2:17 pm

Vati wrote:Sounds like he might have a head space issue? His brass has probably just expanded enough to fill the void while your correctly sized brass still has a gap which is letting the burning gas in.

If you can, it would be worth measuring his brass vs a new brass and see if/what the difference is around the shoulder.

I suspect you will find your answer there.

i think chamber has been drilled incorrectly so that what happening i think im going to stay far away from that rifle.
Dylan.m
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 28 Nov 2013, 3:51 pm

Dylan.m wrote:i think im going to stay far away from that rifle.

Good call.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles