I suddenly need a military appearance firearm.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

I suddenly need a military appearance firearm.

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Feb 2017, 7:48 am

I heard that some government bureaucrats have decided that "military appearance" = more danger to the general public therefore us highly regulated, carefully vetted law abiding firearm owner types shouldn't be able to own them . :unknown:

So I checked my gun safe and it looks like I'm missing something all of a sudden.
There is no :military appearance" tactical taticool tacitool inside.

I'm so glad that our helpful friends from the government have got my attention on this issue.

You can guess what I'll be filling out a PTA for next ... it might be something like a new Ruger Precision like this. At $2000 it seems to be reasonably priced.
models-top.jpg
WARNING Military appearance !
models-top.jpg (69.24 KiB) Viewed 5112 times

Whatever I get, hopefully it's some kind of game changing, military sniper, multy clip, rapid fire, high powered, high capacity military appearance bang stick.

What are your thoughts?
What tatical chassis style rifle would you recommend or like to have ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: I suddenly need a military appearance firearm.

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Feb 2017, 8:17 am

Military appearance is a slippery slope.....many apparent militant/para military types have their safes full of military looking mausers, enfields....

Then theres the military rounds.... the list covers most of what we normally use....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by pete1 » 13 Feb 2017, 9:16 am

Stupid thing is saying military appearance is more dangerous is like saying cause of someones skin colour there more dangerous, Its stupid. the Ruger Precision is nice gun never got to have a good play around but got a quick go, but dont think id buy one cause it doesn't fit my stile of shooting.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 9:21 am

The whole looks like thing is crap - f*** I drive a car but ain't no racing car driver, also cook but ain't no Master Chef FFS - seriously there are some f***ed up units running this place now, bloody over the turds.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Supaduke » 13 Feb 2017, 9:58 am

I wouldn't mind an RPR in 6.5mm CM.
Nice looking unit, would be fun to shoot I would think. And at $2K, they seem like good value. Haven't got a chassis mounted rifle, it's on my list.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 13 Feb 2017, 10:57 am

Supaduke wrote:I wouldn't mind an RPR in 6.5mm CM.
Nice looking unit, would be fun to shoot I would think. And at $2K, they seem like good value. Haven't got a chassis mounted rifle, it's on my list.

I'd rather have one in 260R
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 13 Feb 2017, 11:20 am

Ha, this thread... Just as I am considering black scary new chassis for my already black Tikka CTR. But being a stickler for cleaning and oiling I just can't bring myself to buy anything with a barrel shroud because I won't be able to wipe the barrel easily :/ First world problems.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Feb 2017, 11:22 am

I'll repost these here, because we should not forget the utter bullshittery of the appearance crap, THOSE driving this particular agenda/crusade.... and the fact that 'we' collectively put up with the stupidity, that would NOT be accepted in OTHER industry or sport or directed at any other 'class' of person.....

These relate to the infamous Steve 'Hanna' Fontana 3AW appearance where he 'show and tell'd' a confiscated rifle that as far as he was concerned was "some kind of automatic" rifle....and still handed it around the studio.... the pic of the presenter is evidence that HE was handling an (unregistered) "automatic" rifle without a licence....under the eye of the VICPOL Assistant Commissioner!

Yes, its a Savage Model 10BA bolt action (yes really! cat B)....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Feb 2017, 3:04 pm

juststarting wrote:Ha, this thread... Just as I am considering black scary new chassis for my already black Tikka CTR. But being a stickler for cleaning and oiling I just can't bring myself to buy anything with a barrel shroud because I won't be able to wipe the barrel easily :/ First world problems.

Cerakote :thumbsup:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Noisydad » 13 Feb 2017, 3:15 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Military appearance is a slippery slope.....many apparent militant/para military types have their safes full of military looking mausers, enfields....

Then theres the military rounds.... the list covers most of what we normally use....

Yes! How far can such a vague description go? FN Mausers and .303s that actually are military in origin perhaps? We could go further back to Martini' Henry's, Remington rolling blocks and .58 cal P58 Enfield's - they're all of "military appearance"!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Feb 2017, 3:26 pm

bigfellascott wrote:The whole looks like thing is crap - f*** I drive a car but ain't no racing car driver, also cook but ain't no Master Chef FFS - seriously there are some f***ed up units running this place now, bloody over the turds.

Are you sure it's not a racing car?
Dose it have racing strips, spoilers or mag wheels?
It could have racing appearance 8-)
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 13 Feb 2017, 4:19 pm

Only 1 ??? Get several :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Feb 2017, 6:39 pm

Noisydad wrote:
Military appearance is a slippery slope.....many apparent militant/para military types have their safes full of military looking mausers, enfields....

Yes! How far can such a vague description go? FN Mausers and .303s that actually are military in origin perhaps? We could go further back to Martini' Henry's, Remington rolling blocks and .58 cal P58 Enfield's - they're all of "military appearance"!

Yep, if the popo catch on to this 'military' thing..... they'll find.... a few in my safe, although they are not "of military or tactical appearance"....black is white, up is down, right is wrong...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 13 Feb 2017, 7:44 pm

EBR the bane of the world. EBR= Evil Black Rifle. POPPY COCK.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Barnard » 14 Feb 2017, 6:20 am

on_one_wheel,
i do a lot of target shooting,.....and a lot of hunting, and here's a few things i've found with some (not all) of these chassis rifles.

my experience with these this is they're ok for prone shooting in a field somewhere with a fitted bipod, but limiting and impractical in several other areas.
no nice flat bottom on the for-end to ride sand bags nicely.
rifle ranges dont like them coz the bolt isn't easily removed for safety on the range etc and most ranges don't like muzzle breaks.
the shape of them digs into everything including yourself when shooting from a vehicle (spotlighting?)
and all the lumps bumps sharp edges dig in to your back when carrying them on a sling on the hunts.

not that i'm against them,......i'm not.
it's just that most of these end up on the second hand market again, unless they're a safe queen.
i guess it comes down to what people intend to use them on etc.
but,.......each to their own.
Barnard
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Supaduke » 14 Feb 2017, 8:05 am

They don't strike me as the sort of rifle I would want to lug around. Strictly a bench plinker.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 14 Feb 2017, 8:38 am

What would Crocodile Dundee say?

"That's not military appearance..."

:D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Dogger » 23 Apr 2017, 8:09 am

I owned a Chinese type 64 semi auto in 7.62x39 m43, using AK mags. I paided my money registered it, some idiot changed it to full auto complete with 70+ round drum. This was on tv for the benefit of safety, now i can understand why he did this, the type 64 was a chinese military select fire rifle. They should have been examined more closely before being allowed in Australia.custom officers came to my home and informed me it's now an illegal import. No compensation was paided to me, this was before Howard's ban. The point what they allow today, they will ban tomorrow.
Dogger
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Dogger » 23 Apr 2017, 8:09 am

I owned a Chinese type 64 semi auto in 7.62x39 m43, using AK mags. I paided my money registered it, some idiot changed it to full auto complete with 70+ round drum. This was on tv for the benefit of safety, now i can understand why he did this, the type 64 was a chinese military select fire rifle. They should have been examined more closely before being allowed in Australia.custom officers came to my home and informed me it's now an illegal import. No compensation was paided to me, this was before Howard's ban. The point what they allow today, they will ban tomorrow.
Dogger
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Dogger » 23 Apr 2017, 9:31 am

Dogger
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles