My Arasaka type 99. 7.7x58mm adventure.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: My Arasaka type 99. 7.7x58mm adventure.

Post by GLS_1956 » 13 Feb 2017, 7:41 pm

I have one my father brought back from Japan, he was in the 11th Airborne and was one of the first Americans to land in Japan on Aug 30 1945. He had started t osporterize the gun and I would like to restore it to the military configuration. But that may not ever happen.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by yoshie » 13 Feb 2017, 9:09 pm

Great write up, i went down a similar path with a Thompson Contender in 7mm International Rimmed. They're made from 30-30 cases. I use lee trimmers in a battety drill and i had them make a case length gauge to suit 7mmIntR.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by juststarting » 14 Feb 2017, 12:32 am

Love it. My takeaway from this entire writeup is that I need more guns :)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 14 Feb 2017, 6:35 am

Nice work. Good to see an old gal shooting again.

And you always need more guns.

My problem is I've reached the threshold of safe storage. Need to decide on wether to get a second safe or one really big one. I think a second safe , say a 10-14gun would be more practical to fit.

Nice write up bentaz
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 14 Feb 2017, 7:27 am

bentaz wrote:there was no felt recoil at all with a pissy 12gn of TB and no noise from the clearly sub-sonic load.

Well done mate, always great to hear a successful recycle job :thumbsup: :clap: Just one observation, not that it really matters, but I doubt 12gns of TB under a 180 pil would be subsonic - probably more like the ~1200-1300fps mark I'd say. On that note, that load would probably hit a little harder than you might think!
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 14 Feb 2017, 10:19 am

bentaz,
Can you hacksaw those cases before trimming, mate? I realise that there is a big problem holding them still.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 14 Feb 2017, 10:30 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:bentaz,
Can you hacksaw those cases before trimming, mate? I realise that there is a big problem holding them still.

Or a small, plumbers copper pipe cutter. I bought one for when i eventually start making brass for the 223McShort from 223rem brass.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wes » 14 Feb 2017, 1:41 pm

Great score for $50 :thumbsup:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 14 Feb 2017, 2:05 pm

Gwion wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:bentaz,

Or a small, plumbers copper pipe cutter. I bought one for when i eventually start making brass for the 223McShort from 223rem brass.

Ahh :) The benefit of a proper education :thumbsup:
I studied Agriculture :(
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 14 Feb 2017, 9:13 pm

bentaz wrote:I gave some thought to how i might do it but it was a real pain in the ass hacksawing 50bmg and brass 12ga shells so i didn't even try to hold these.
But after reading the above 2 post at morning tea I've been thinking about it some more and i think ive got a viable plan.
If i drill a hole in a piece of pine 90x35 thats the same size as the case and then cut the wood in half through the hole I should be able to use it to clamp the brass in the vice so i can hacksaw it before running it through the trimmer. Could even do it with multiple holes so i can do a few at a time.

Sounds Good :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles