223 Rifle Options

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

223 Rifle Options

Post by EV85 » 16 Feb 2017, 8:03 pm

Hi All,

Racking my brain on options for my next long rifle in 223 Remington with set requirements, and hoping someone can recommend options that I may not of considered with the below requirements.

The rifle will be used Target 50% Hunting 50% approx.

Bolt action
Smooth action
1/8 twist or similar
10 shot magazine (standard or factory option)
timber/laminate stock preferred
Stainless Barrel/action preferred, not imperative.
Ghost sights or open sights (if I can get it, not imperative)

Rifles I have considered:
Ruger 77 Scout
Steyer pro hunter
Howa mini action
Remington 700

Appreciate everyone's help in advance.
Evan
EV85
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: 223 Rifle Options

Post by Pythonkeeper » 16 Feb 2017, 8:20 pm

Pro hunter is a superb rifle, very accurate, doesn't tick some of your boxes but I don't think you'd be disappointed.......I reckon the Lithgow LA102 would be very nice also and probably ticks all your boxes except for open sights, Tikka T3x, Sako 85...
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Feb 2017, 8:32 pm

EV85 wrote:Hi All,

Racking my brain on options for my next long rifle in 223 Remington with set requirements, and hoping someone can recommend options that I may not of considered with the below requirements.

The rifle will be used Target 50% Hunting 50% approx.

Bolt action
Smooth action
1/8 twist or similar
10 shot magazine (standard or factory option)
timber/laminate stock preferred
Stainless Barrel/action preferred, not imperative.
Ghost sights or open sights (if I can get it, not imperative)

Rifles I have considered:
Ruger 77 Scout
Steyer pro hunter
Howa mini action
Remington 700

Appreciate everyone's help in advance.
Evan

Steyr and Remington are 9" twist aren't they?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mitch » 16 Feb 2017, 8:35 pm

Tikka
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gun-nut » 16 Feb 2017, 8:38 pm

For a nice light weight gun, take a look into the cz 527, ticks a lot of your criteria. Not sure how good it would be as a dedicated target rifle, but if the accuracy is good as all cz's are, then it should do fine. Though I expect it would perform superbly as a hunting rifle.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by EV85 » 16 Feb 2017, 9:00 pm

Gun-nut wrote:For a nice light weight gun, take a look into the cz 527, ticks a lot of your criteria. Not sure how good it would be as a dedicated target rifle, but if the accuracy is good as all cz's are, then it should do fine. Though I expect it would perform superbly as a hunting rifle.

They look gorgeous, if I can find 10 shot mag for them?, like Anschutz 1771 I would buy in a heartbeat.

Mitch wrote:Tikka

yeah, except no 10 shot for 223 only 260 and 308. Cheers

Pythonkeeper wrote:Pro hunter is a superb rifle, very accurate, doesn't tick some of your boxes but I don't think you'd be disappointed.......I reckon the Lithgow LA102 would be very nice also and probably ticks all your boxes except for open sights, Tikka T3x, Sako 85...

Yeah I'll check out the 85 thank you, lithgow is out because of the magazine and also that I own two, one in 308w, and sweet jesus I need a 10 shot mag, can't wait for the Tikka arctic, almost a perfect 308 in my opinion.
EV85
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 16 Feb 2017, 9:06 pm

First up. What sort of Target Shooting..?? If it's for 50% of the intended use then that is important, as is how many rounds are required to be fired in what sort of time limit.

Why 10 rounds.

Last I knew a CZ527 was only 1:12 Twist unless it was the Varmint Laminate which is 1:9 Twist. Well, mine is. Very accurate BUT... it's a Mini Mauser Action and it is a fair way from being what I would call a Smooth Action...it's rather clunky and tight. It is not actually a True Varmint Barrel but more like in between a true varmint weight and a hunter weight. Not bad to carry around for a skinny old bloke like me.

A Tikka T3 is smooth but for a .223R it's a long action compared to some others.

Isn't a Ruger Scout a short barrel rifle, don't know. Never owned one nor do I want to.

Steyer, never owned one and don't know other than not all reports are good.

Remington 700, quality control issues. I do own a Remington 700 but it is very, very customised (trued Action) built as a purpose Target Rifle with an expensive Benchrest Trigger. It's accurate with a custom barrel but ends up over three times the price of a factory rifle.

My pick of a Varmint / Target Rifle that I use for competition target shooting and varminting is a Sako 85 Stainless Laminate Varmint that I wanted specifically for it's extra weight in .243W. Lightened trigger. Fully bedded and it's a "Switch Barrel" with two Tikka T3 Barrels I have, one being a rather used barrel that goes varminting. The .223R version in 1:8 Twist could be a good option but a little expensive. Still not a 10 shot mag but they are easily top fed.

When you talk 50% Target 50% Hunting it really complicates things and makes it very hard to do either job properly for a reasonable price.

I did some Load Development for a Forum Member who had a customised Howa 1500 .223R 1:8 Twist and for the money it was very impressive. Very accurate with lighter bullets but a little less impressive with heavier weight target grade bullets. It seems like a good place to start until you go with dedicated rifles for each use. It needed a better scope for target use.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Pythonkeeper » 16 Feb 2017, 9:23 pm

Can't get a 10 shot for the pro hunter either. You can get 10 shot lucky 13 for the Lithgow 223.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mitch » 17 Feb 2017, 4:55 am

Last edited by Mitch on 17 Feb 2017, 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mitch » 17 Feb 2017, 4:55 am

Can buy 10 shot lucky 13 mag for 223 tikka
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 17 Feb 2017, 5:53 am

Ruger gunsite. :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 17 Feb 2017, 12:27 pm

Also, if you wanted open sights couldn't you just get it dovetailed and pick yourself up a weaver-style rear aperture? Or how about a 2moa red-dot - they'd be suitable for target work with the ergonomics of irons.

Then again, if you're going to the effort of getting it smithed, why not get it drilled and tapped on the side to take an Olympic or Redfield sight? Heaps of options if you get it smithed....
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by EV85 » 17 Feb 2017, 9:35 pm

Apollo wrote:First up. What sort of Target Shooting..?? If it's for 50% of the intended use then that is important, as is how many rounds are required to be fired in what sort of time limit.

Why 10 rounds.

Last I knew a CZ527 was only 1:12 Twist unless it was the Varmint Laminate which is 1:9 Twist. Well, mine is. Very accurate BUT... it's a Mini Mauser Action and it is a fair way from being what I would call a Smooth Action...it's rather clunky and tight. It is not actually a True Varmint Barrel but more like in between a true varmint weight and a hunter weight. Not bad to carry around for a skinny old bloke like me.

A Tikka T3 is smooth but for a .223R it's a long action compared to some others.

Isn't a Ruger Scout a short barrel rifle, don't know. Never owned one nor do I want to.

Steyer, never owned one and don't know other than not all reports are good.

Remington 700, quality control issues. I do own a Remington 700 but it is very, very customised (trued Action) built as a purpose Target Rifle with an expensive Benchrest Trigger. It's accurate with a custom barrel but ends up over three times the price of a factory rifle.

My pick of a Varmint / Target Rifle that I use for competition target shooting and varminting is a Sako 85 Stainless Laminate Varmint that I wanted specifically for it's extra weight in .243W. Lightened trigger. Fully bedded and it's a "Switch Barrel" with two Tikka T3 Barrels I have, one being a rather used barrel that goes varminting. The .223R version in 1:8 Twist could be a good option but a little expensive. Still not a 10 shot mag but they are easily top fed.

When you talk 50% Target 50% Hunting it really complicates things and makes it very hard to do either job properly for a reasonable price.

I did some Load Development for a Forum Member who had a customised Howa 1500 .223R 1:8 Twist and for the money it was very impressive. Very accurate with lighter bullets but a little less impressive with heavier weight target grade bullets. It seems like a good place to start until you go with dedicated rifles for each use. It needed a better scope for target use.

The type of target shooting is just non-competitive paper plinking 50/100/200M

10 round magazine, and a good mind you because of the level of frustration I get from only having a 3 shot center fire when hunting, I find it annoying having to reload more often than I have two and missing game because of it.

Hmmm, lot's to think over thank you.
EV85
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 17 Feb 2017, 11:36 pm

I have a Tikka 223 1/8 boring gun on targets (not to many hole in them ) I have a few 10 round mags for it action too smooth like silk
Rugger hawkeye 77 223 1/9 good in the scrub tend to find it a bit heavy good on targets too 4 in the box action so long as its clean and oiled lightly ok
Omarrk 44 in 223 just for long range target ss heavy as it can be for target action it is what it is for now
if your looking for timber with sights and able to take a 10 shot mag (lucky 13)have a look at a http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-battue
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Miniaction » 18 Feb 2017, 6:05 am

Have you thought about a Remington 7615 police? Ghost rings and10 round magazine out if the box. Have heard of people getting moa accuracy and they are customisable as hell so no doubt you could probably get a timber stock (maybe off the 870)
Miniaction
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 18 Feb 2017, 6:53 am

Hi all.....

Recently brought a mini Howa in 223. Heavy barrel stainless, 1 in 9. 10 shot mag. Needed something short for the cabin of the ute, and a bit of social target shooting And it shoots like a bloody laser beam out of the box.....get one.....trust me.!!!!!!

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Feb 2017, 9:17 am

COLLECTOR 1 wrote:Hi all.....

Recently brought a mini Howa in 223. Heavy barrel stainless, 1 in 9. 10 shot mag. Needed something short for the cabin of the ute, and a bit of social target shooting And it shoots like a bloody laser beam out of the box.....get one.....trust me.!!!!!!

Collector 1

Bout time ya woke up to how good the Howso's go! :D Tell me do you have any issues with the mag accidentally being dropped out or is it ok? I hear stories about them dropping mags because the mag release lever is too long (easy enough to fix I'd say with a trim of the lever or put a stiffer spring in would also work I'd say) anyway glad you are happy with the Howso, can't fault any of mine and so far they shoot better than the New Tikkler out of the box but I'm sure I can get that shooting fine once I do some reloads for it (hope so anyway or it may just end up out the door and I buy another Howa with the $$. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 18 Feb 2017, 11:55 am

FWIW my pick would also be the Howa mini HB - ima list the reasons why (in order of importance):

1. PRICE - it's a whole lotta gun for a bloody competitive price. Price also factors in that already ships with a 10-shot detachable mag, and the 2-stage trigger is pretty darn good out of the box too. No extra tweaking/$ required - so more money left over for optics!
2. BARREL WEIGHT - ships with a heavy .725" barrel, meaning it'll shoot a variety of ammo well. It will also handle long strings of shots better at the range without turning into a soldering-iron (and throwing flyers)
3. OVERALL WEIGHT: short action, short barrel means less overall weight with the performance of a varmint rifle. At 2.99kg it's still reasonable for hunting purposes.
4. TRIGGER: excellent two-stage trigger out of the box - no need for aftermarket $$
5. 10+1 MAGAZINE: out of the box, detachable - no need for for aftermarket $$
Last edited by in2anity on 18 Feb 2017, 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Feb 2017, 12:21 pm

If I hadn't found my cheap second hand Remington 700 .223 I would have got myself a Remington 700 VLS .223
unnamed.png
unnamed.png (104.93 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by la101 » 18 Feb 2017, 7:04 pm

Proud owner of the older tikka t3 lite .223 and absolutely think you should check the newer one out.
la101
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 20 Feb 2017, 11:23 am

Haven't had an issue witth the mag release yet, but looking at it I could imagine some people accidentally hitting it and a full mag falling out. Easy and best way to alleviate the problem would be to shorten it a tad, it is definitely to long.

But on the flip side...the riffle in this configuration is a.....cheap laser beam (lol) ....Torqued the action screws,.... sighted it in...puts 5 into a 10 cent piece at 100!!!!!!!....and that was with grotty hand loads for one of my other rifles, just to see how the Howa went. Wait till the load development happens, I'm betting one hole stuff.....never in all my days have I seen an outta the box cheaper ranged rifle shoot so well...cannot recommend them highly enough for those wanting a great little rig.

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Feb 2017, 6:24 am

COLLECTOR 1 wrote:Haven't had an issue witth the mag release yet, but looking at it I could imagine some people accidentally hitting it and a full mag falling out. Easy and best way to alleviate the problem would be to shorten it a tad, it is definitely to long.

But on the flip side...the riffle in this configuration is a.....cheap laser beam (lol) ....Torqued the action screws,.... sighted it in...puts 5 into a 10 cent piece at 100!!!!!!!....and that was with grotty hand loads for one of my other rifles, just to see how the Howa went. Wait till the load development happens, I'm betting one hole stuff.....never in all my days have I seen an outta the box cheaper ranged rifle shoot so well...cannot recommend them highly enough for those wanting a great little rig.

Collector 1

Thanks for that Collector, sounds like your results are the same as mine re Howa's and how they can shoot. :thumbsup: My mate works at a gun shop and helped sight in one for a customer of his and his results were the same as yours (factory ammo) - he was most impressed and surprised at how well they go for the $$
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lokvo » 21 Feb 2017, 8:34 am

Nice! just got a Howa myself so that brings warm feelings to my heart lol.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles