Remington 700 XCR Tactical "thumbhook" ?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Remington 700 XCR Tactical "thumbhook" ?

Post by Hatter » 23 Feb 2017, 10:37 am

I'm looking at the Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range for some target shooting.

This is the one:

Remington-700-XCR-Tactical-Long-Range.jpg
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range
Remington-700-XCR-Tactical-Long-Range.jpg (5.77 KiB) Viewed 1420 times

Haven't found a store with one in stock to get my hands on, but not sure I'm understanding the "thumbhook" they mention on the Remington website.

It's the carved bit at the bottom of the stock there obviously, but I'm not getting how this is useful?

Cheers.
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Remington 700 XCR Tactical "thumbhook" ?

Post by bladeracer » 23 Feb 2017, 11:42 am

Hatter wrote:I'm looking at the Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range for some target shooting.

This is the one:

Remington-700-XCR-Tactical-Long-Range.jpg

Haven't found a store with one in stock to get my hands on, but not sure I'm understanding the "thumbhook" they mention on the Remington website.

It's the carved bit at the bottom of the stock there obviously, but I'm not getting how this is useful?

Cheers.

Just guessing, but sometimes I like to lay my left hand across my right bicep under the stock. Conceivably the thumb hook could allow you to hold some rearward pressure into your shoulder from that position?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 23 Feb 2017, 1:14 pm

"Used for better grip when shooting off bench rest bags.You actually use your secondary hand palm down, sliding your four fingers to the far side of the stock, and your thumb to the near side, and the indent of the hook cradles in the web of your hand. Some shooters use this hand to steer the gun." source: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/ ... utt-51127/
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sako308 » 23 Feb 2017, 2:39 pm

Its more commonly referred to as a butt hook, it gives a solid reference point for a rear bag to lock into, aiding in control of NPA and height. Without a rear bag it allows the hand to firmly support the stock without slipping, again a consistent reference point.

Hope that helps.
Sako308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles