Question Re Swiveling Sling Stud

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Question Re Swiveling Sling Stud

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Mar 2017, 3:22 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Not trying to be a smartar$e, but aren't 1/4" and 6mm roughly the same diameter?

Granted,,,, BUT, the 6mm nyloc nuts are much smaller outer overall diameter than their 1/4" cousins.

I never say or do things like this unless there is a good reason behind it.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Mar 2017, 3:35 pm

The one that I intended to take the pics of with the nyloc nut used, is not with me at the moment, it's at the g/smith.

So, instead I took a couple pics of the very 1st one that I did.
It's on my old .303 and the timber wasn't thick enough to allow a nyloc nut.

Instead I used an ordinary nut, and then ground it concave so not to interfere with the barrel, then applied locrite.

No where near as neat or pretty as the Howa with the nyloc nut,,,,, but the same general principle applies.
So you can see the method.
100_4162.JPG
100_4162.JPG (261.58 KiB) Viewed 3854 times
100_4168.JPG
100_4168.JPG (283.75 KiB) Viewed 3854 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 11 Mar 2017, 1:52 pm

Thanks for the photos / tips Die J. much appreciated. So I had some great success myself:

IMG_5548.JPG
IMG_5548.JPG (1.71 MiB) Viewed 3847 times

IMG_5549.JPG
IMG_5549.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 3847 times

After many failed attempts I ended up using a longer coupling nut cut down to around 15-20mm. I then drilled near the end of the nut for the swivel clip. This meant the integrity of the bolt of was not compromised (i.e. plenty of solid thread below the clip hole for the bolt). Loctited it on, Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt! Very happy with with the result, thanks to all for contributions :drinks:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles