6.5 Creedmoor

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Oct 2019, 6:33 am

Lol you asked why 308 was better. That's all i can come up with.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Oct 2019, 7:06 am

No worries, I thought you were being a 308 fan boi in a thread about the Creedmoor.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Oct 2019, 9:12 am

With the now current bullet selection, I’d suggest the 6.5 is superior to the 308 in many areas...
Case almost holds exact same powder.
Faster and flatter is to the 6.5 and after 300 yards, the difference becomes quite large as 308 falls away...and recoil is less.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by killerkoala » 29 Nov 2021, 12:36 pm

I have a Tikka T3x 6.5CM LA & am having issues with case & case neck length The books give a SAAMI spec but as a long action can't get enough seat depth into case using Nosler Custom Comp. 140gn Antone have a LA model
killerkoala
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by killerkoala » 01 Dec 2021, 8:07 am

forgot to add , case length in book is 1.91" / is it the same for a long action Tikka T3x CM
killerkoala
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 01 Dec 2021, 9:39 am

Not sure I understand what you are trying to do .

are you trying to seat cartridge overall length to maximum magazine length or is it you can't load a projectile one enough to touch the lands.

Cheers
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Dec 2021, 2:28 pm

killerkoala wrote:forgot to add , case length in book is 1.91" / is it the same for a long action Tikka T3x CM

Case length won't change.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Dec 2021, 2:39 pm

killerkoala wrote:I have a Tikka T3x 6.5CM LA & am having issues with case & case neck length The books give a SAAMI spec but as a long action can't get enough seat depth into case using Nosler Custom Comp. 140gn Antone have a LA model

I'm guessing you might be trying to seat a bullet long enough to touch the lands?
Action length doesn't change the throat length, but a manufacturer has the option to cut a longer throat in an action that allows longer than standard cartridge length.

Have you actually measured the overall length to the lands already? Easiest is with a flat-ended rod down the muzzle. Rest it against the bolt face and mark the rod at the muzzle with a piece of tape, then put a bullet (not cartridge) in the throat, press it lightly against the lands, place the rod against the tip of the bullet and mark the rod again. Measure between the two marks on the rod for your maximum overall length with that bullet. This is at least as accurate as any other method, to less than .001", and well within the manufacturing variation in bullet lengths.

Personally, I would ignore the lands entirely, but if you can seat the bullet as long as possible, you maximise combustion chamber volume and minimize pressure, achieving higher velocities than if you seat long bullets to standard cartridge length.

Or, is your issue that you can't push a long bullet deep enough into the case to get down to the standard cartridge length because you have too much powder in there?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles