84th Melbourne Arms & Militaria Fair

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

84th Melbourne Arms & Militaria Fair

Post by bradleyjohno » 03 Apr 2017, 5:39 pm

Did anybody go to this event and if so what did you buy? I buyout a Barret 50. cal bullet, and got ripped off, overall had lots of fun.
bradleyjohno
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: 84th Melbourne Arms & Militaria Fair

Post by Gun-nut » 03 Apr 2017, 8:54 pm

Yep I was there, brought a friend too. Looks like I got him interested in the sport. :)
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 03 Apr 2017, 9:25 pm

I bought an old gun, an ammo box, a Mountain Dew and I met Santa

Then proceeded to listen to a lot of blokes speak a lot of sheet to other blokes who knew even less. I don't claim to know everything about guns, far from it. But it sure can be amusing listening to some fella just pretty much making it up as he goes along.

Some weird dudes in trench coats.
A lot of dudes trying a bit too hard to look 'outdoorsy'. A lot of dudes in general, my missus wouldn't come in a fit.

Good selection of guns on offer this trip, more than usual.

Rest of the usual stuff was there. Overall a good day.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 03 Apr 2017, 9:57 pm

Supaduke wrote:
A lot of dudes trying a bit too hard to look 'outdoorsy'.

:lol: just brace youself for the shot show mate, all the bogans and " precision " shooters are draging out every peice of firearm branded clothing they own
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Tiger650 » 03 Apr 2017, 10:16 pm

200 rds of factory 158gn .357 at very reasonable cost and a new .50 cal ammo box.

Struck up an interesting conversation with a really older Gentleman [I am 61 and he must have been late '70s] from South Australia re .38 and .357.

Whilst paying $15 for 48 rds of .38 reloads he was asked "do you have a firearms licence" he looked at the woman most innocently and said "yes". LOL

You would have had to have been there to appreciate the dry humour.

Wish I could have spent some more time with him but the place was like a cattle race, I did OK but for the $25.oo entry fee which I reckon was well spent to look at the bizarre s#it on sale and check out the zoo.

Notable that armed private security were present and the VicPol Firearms Branch was not.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 03 Apr 2017, 10:45 pm

bradleyjohno wrote:Did anybody go to this event and if so what did you buy? I buyout a Barret 50. cal bullet, and got ripped off, overall had lots of fun.

What's a Barrett 50 Cal bullet?
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bradleyjohno » 04 Apr 2017, 1:56 am

brett1868 wrote:
bradleyjohno wrote:Did anybody go to this event and if so what did you buy? I buyout a Barret 50. cal bullet, and got ripped off, overall had lots of fun.

What's a Barrett 50 Cal bullet?

I'm new to the shooting community, I may be getting it wrong but ask an experienced person.

Replying to everyone else, I had a lot of fun, it was my first time, was gonna buy a 50. cal bullet box as well but never did and regret it so much, I didn't dress up with gun brand clothing, very proud of myself and I also held a replica AK-47, but I'll just tell my mates its a real, haha. Also I held the Barret 50. cal I think by the front entry to the right when you walk in. Everyone was so nice, I found it funny that I found a Nazi jacket as well, I don't know why though!
bradleyjohno
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 04 Apr 2017, 5:58 am

G'day Tiger650,
LRD are no longer permitted to attend the show due to budgetary restraints. Also it seems they don't want to associate with gun owners. Security have been at every show, as the premises must be secured at night and for general security during the day. As for purchases, a Bodeo Officers Model revolver, 3 more bayonets, another No4 Mk1 303, and some odd obsolete cartridges as well as some 310 Cadet ammo. A better day than working! Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wobble » 04 Apr 2017, 3:47 pm

bradleyjohno wrote:I'm new to the shooting community, I may be getting it wrong but ask an experienced person.

You'll find Brett is one of those expert people (or close to) when it comes to the .50 cal and other big cartridges ;) He's just poking fun at your terms.

Barrett is a brand name and firearms manufacturer.

The cartridge (correct term) you held, assuming it was the whole thing, brass case with the bullet seated in it, is a .50 BMG cartridge which is made by several companies.

Bullet means just the bullet and nothing else (which you obviously know :))
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bradleyjohno » 05 Apr 2017, 1:45 am

Wobble wrote:
bradleyjohno wrote:I'm new to the shooting community, I may be getting it wrong but ask an experienced person.

You'll find Brett is one of those expert people (or close to) when it comes to the .50 cal and other big cartridges ;) He's just poking fun at your terms.

Barrett is a brand name and firearms manufacturer.

The cartridge (correct term) you held, assuming it was the whole thing, brass case with the bullet seated in it, is a .50 BMG cartridge which is made by several companies.

Bullet means just the bullet and nothing else (which you obviously know :))

Expert? Being smart, same thing. :)
bradleyjohno
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles