Ruger American Ranch rifle in 223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Ruger American Ranch rifle in 223

Post by vmaxaust » 09 Apr 2017, 9:14 am

Anyone have one of these?
I intend buying one mainly for target shooting or pests. I would fit a Holosun red dot and not a scope.
Mainly want any owners to comment on operation of bolt and rotary magazine. I'm not after the ideal target rifle, just a lightweight, easy to carry, short barrel bolt action for all round fun use. Looked at Ruger Scout but the long heavy magazine and price frankly puts me off.
The Ranch rifle seems like it ticks all the boxes for me.

The main thing I want is fast reliable operation of bolt and magazine.

Don't need other recommendations, already have a CZ527 carbine in 223 and Remington 7615 pump 223 but I want shorter than CZ in a bolt rifle with 223 calibre.

Sam
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Ruger American Ranch rifle in 223

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2017, 12:40 pm

vmaxaust wrote:Anyone have one of these?
I intend buying one mainly for target shooting or pests. I would fit a Holosun red dot and not a scope.
Mainly want any owners to comment on operation of bolt and rotary magazine. I'm not after the ideal target rifle, just a lightweight, easy to carry, short barrel bolt action for all round fun use. Looked at Ruger Scout but the long heavy magazine and price frankly puts me off.
The Ranch rifle seems like it ticks all the boxes for me.

The main thing I want is fast reliable operation of bolt and magazine.

Don't need other recommendations, already have a CZ527 carbine in 223 and Remington 7615 pump 223 but I want shorter than CZ in a bolt rifle with 223 calibre.

Sam

I have four Americans so far (.204 Predator, two .243 Predators, 7mm-08 Standard), but no Ranch Rifles yet.
The mag can be problematical, but if it is Ruger should replace it for you.
Lucky13 are doing a replacement non-rotary mag for the American soon, but it's $140.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 09 Apr 2017, 2:04 pm

If the centrefire is anything like the rimfire I have, it should be a sturdy, robust little rifle. Check out Ozzie's review of the American in .223, and while not the ranch rifle, he does have positive things to say about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lurfn3QQsEc&t=1s
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by vmaxaust » 09 Apr 2017, 3:26 pm

I have four Americans so far (.204 Predator, two .243 Predators, 7mm-08 Standard), but no Ranch Rifles yet.
The mag can be problematical, but if it is Ruger should replace it for you.
Lucky13 are doing a replacement non-rotary mag for the American soon, but it's $140.[/quote]

Appreciate the reply. They are asking $90.00 for the stock magazine. Even though we are lashed here for mags at least there is an option aside from factory Ruger.

Sam
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by vmaxaust » 09 Apr 2017, 3:27 pm

Gun-nut wrote:If the centrefire is anything like the rimfire I have, it should be a sturdy, robust little rifle. Check out Ozzie's review of the American in .223, and while not the ranch rifle, he does have positive things to say about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lurfn3QQsEc&t=1s

Thanks Gun Nut.
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2017, 3:59 pm

vmaxaust wrote:Appreciate the reply. They are asking $90.00 for the stock magazine. Even though we are lashed here for mags at least there is an option aside from factory Ruger.

Sam

Cheaper through Brownells.
https://www.brownells.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=21300&product_id=61120

Mine are in MDT LSS chassis using Accuracy International Chassis System 10rd mags.
I want a .223 Ranch Rifle to put in a chassis as well.

The American Compact 18" barrel is actually marginally lighter than the 16" Ranch and only 20mm longer due to the shorter length of pull.
Putting the Ranch into a Compact stock would give you a .223 only 34.75" long - 32mm shorter than the Ranch Rifle. But the Compact muzzle is unthreaded.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by vmaxaust » 09 Apr 2017, 5:09 pm

Cheaper through Brownells.
https://www.brownells.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=21300&product_id=61120

Mine are in MDT LSS chassis using Accuracy International Chassis System 10rd mags.
I want a .223 Ranch Rifle to put in a chassis as well.

The American Compact 18" barrel is actually marginally lighter than the 16" Ranch and only 20mm longer due to the shorter length of pull.
Putting the Ranch into a Compact stock would give you a .223 only 34.75" long - 32mm shorter than the Ranch Rifle. But the Compact muzzle is unthreaded.[/quote]

The chassis is a great idea actually. Worth a look. The shorter length of pull on the Compact is not ideal for me. Weight difference is almost nothing and the 16" barrel is really what I want.

Sam
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Apr 2017, 8:24 am

Duck, 16" barrel will be loud!
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 10 Apr 2017, 8:31 am

It's an interesting idea - similar to the Remington 700 SPS 16.5". I'd love to see how the Ruger Ranch in 300 blk groups.
Last edited by in2anity on 10 Apr 2017, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Apr 2017, 8:37 am

in2anity wrote:It's an interesting idea - similar to Remington 700 SPS 16.5". I'd love to see how the Ruger Ranch in 308w groups.

.223, 300BLK and .450 Bushmaster only so far.
http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/models.html
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 10 Apr 2017, 8:38 am

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:It's an interesting idea - similar to Remington 700 SPS 16.5". I'd love to see how the Ruger Ranch in 308w groups.

Yeah was just reading that - my mistake, actually I just updated my comment.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Apr 2017, 8:45 am

in2anity wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yeah was just reading that - my mistake, actually I just updated my comment.

From what I've read the BLK can shoot MoA or better out to 200yds.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 10 Apr 2017, 9:03 am

bladeracer wrote:From what I've read the BLK can shoot MoA or better out to 200yds.

Yeah they could be good - would you buy a Ruger Ranch over a Remington 700 Gwion? I've heard the quality of the Remingtons isn't great, and from what I've handled, the 700s feel pretty poxy tbh. My LGS can do the 308 SPS 16.5" for $1450; pricy :o Ranch would be cheaper right?

I guess I just like the (idea of the) scaleability of the 308w vs the 300blk, not to mention the cost of reloading 308w is gonna be cheaper that 300blk
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Mitch » 10 Apr 2017, 10:43 am

in2anity wrote:
bladeracer wrote:From what I've read the BLK can shoot MoA or better out to 200yds.

Yeah they could be good - would you buy a Ruger Ranch over a Remington 700 Gwion? I've heard the quality of the Remingtons isn't great, and from what I've handled, the 700s feel pretty poxy tbh. My LGS can do the 308 SPS 16.5" for $1450; pricy :o Ranch would be cheaper right?

I guess I just like the (idea of the) scaleability of the 308w vs the 300blk, not to mention the cost of reloading 308w is gonna be cheaper that 300blk

Ruger in 300BLK is heaps cheaper - ~$800

308W is NOT cheaper to reload. Im loading 300BLK cheaper than 223!
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 10 Apr 2017, 10:57 am

Mitch wrote:308W is NOT cheaper to reload. Im loading 300BLK cheaper than 223!

If you shoot full loads yes, but I hardly ever shoot full power loads (I don't shoot long-range and I use my 30/30 for hunting), so 308w is gonna be cheaper (based on prevalence of wasted 308w brass, which I raid for free from the bins at the range). Not to mention reloading gear is cheaper for 308w.

In terms of powder, projectiles, reduced TB loads are gonna be same price for both (provided you cook the same load).
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Apr 2017, 3:58 pm

in2anity wrote:
Mitch wrote:308W is NOT cheaper to reload. Im loading 300BLK cheaper than 223!

If you shoot full loads yes, but I hardly ever shoot full power loads (I don't shoot long-range and I use my 30/30 for hunting), so 308w is gonna be cheaper (based on prevalence of wasted 308w brass, which I raid for free from the bins at the range). Not to mention reloading gear is cheaper for 308w.

In terms of powder, projectiles, reduced TB loads are gonna be same price for both (provided you cook the same load).

The BLK brass is likely to be more expensive than .308, but how often are you going to buy brass?
If you want to use the maximum potential of the BLK then the heavy 220gn+ bullets will probably cost more than the lighter .308 bullets.
But you will likely use at least twice as much powder running the .308.
BLK pushes 168gn at 1750fps off 17gn of 2205. .308 pushes 168gn at 2700fps off 43gn of various powders.

I don't think cost of running is likely to be a big deal in making a choice.
If you want to shoot very heavy bullets at near-subsonic velocities from short barrels, then BLK is the go. You can cut down a long .308 barrel to whatever length you want, but it's harder or more expensive to find a BLK barrel longer than about 18" or so.
I'm inclined to go with .308 and load down to what I need, but still have the potential for much greater performance (even from a 16" barrel) by simply carrying some full-power loads in a pocket.

My brother and I were shooting 75gn .243 factory ammo (he doesn't load his own yet) last week. And then I pulled out the 7mm-08 and we sent some 145gn 1150fps loads down range, without hearing protection. Accuracy was the same but they shoot a lot lower than full-power loads of course. No noise, no blast, no recoil, and less expense for more fun.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 10 Apr 2017, 4:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:The BLK brass is likely to be more expensive than .308, but how often are you going to buy brass?

It's more to do with cost of acquisition - I don't particular want to fork out for a couple of hundred bucks of new brass when I can get it free (in the case of 308w).

bladeracer wrote:If you want to use the maximum potential of the BLK then the heavy 220gn+ bullets will probably cost more than the lighter .308 bullets.
But you will likely use at least twice as much powder running the .308.
BLK pushes 168gn at 1750fps off 17gn of 2205. .308 pushes 168gn at 2700fps off 43gn of various powders.
I don't think cost of running is likely to be a big deal in making a choice.
If you want to shoot very heavy bullets at near-subsonic velocities from short barrels, then BLK is the go. You can cut down a long .308 barrel to whatever length you want, but it's harder or more expensive to find a BLK barrel longer than about 18" or so.

For me the appeal of the blk is not really the 220gr projectiles, rather the fact that I can shoot pretty much any 30cal projectiles through it, including gas-checked cast lead. And the short action means the overall weight should be lower. Combine this with a short heavy barrel and you've got yourself a light, stiff little plinker that should (theoretically) handle long strings of shots without turning into a soldering iron; my thought is that with a bit of tuning it could be a good target rifle. Same could be said about the SPS, but the Ranch ticks these boxes and is almost half the price.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Apr 2017, 5:03 pm

in2anity wrote:For me the appeal of the blk is not really the 220gr projectiles, rather the fact that I can shoot pretty much any 30cal projectiles through it, including gas-checked cast lead. And the short action means the overall weight should be lower. Combine this with a short heavy barrel and you've got yourself a light, stiff little plinker that should (theoretically) handle long strings of shots without turning into a soldering iron; my thought is that with a bit of tuning it could be a good target rifle. Same could be said about the SPS, but the Ranch ticks these boxes and is almost half the price.

Why can't you shoot lead in a .308?
BLK and .308 are both short action, no difference there.
.308 full-power loads will run hotter for sure, but loaded down closer to BLK velocities I would think they'd run at similar temps.
For comparison of the Ruger American Ranch and Compact:
Ranch in 300BLK 16.12" barrel, 7" twist, 5.9lb, 36" length and 13.75" LoP, one-piece rail, threaded muzzle.
Compact in .308 18" barrel, 10" twist, 6lb, 36.75", 12.5" LoP, two-piece rail. RRP is US$40 less than the Ranch.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 10 Apr 2017, 5:06 pm

bladeracer wrote:Why can't you shoot lead in a .308?
BLK and .308 are both short action, no difference there.
.308 full-power loads will run hotter for sure, but loaded down closer to BLK velocities I would think they'd run at similar temps.
For comparison of the Ruger American Ranch and Compact:
Ranch in 300BLK 16.12" barrel, 7" twist, 5.9lb, 36" length and 13.75" LoP, one-piece rail, threaded muzzle.
Compact in .308 18" barrel, 10" twist, 6lb, 36.75", 12.5" LoP, two-piece rail. RRP is US$40 less than the Ranch.

I can, and I potentially will, just looking for the right rifle, with the heaviest barrel possible... What's the crown diameter on the Compact? (vs the Ranch)
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 10 Apr 2017, 7:25 pm

From what I can gather the Ruger Ranch has a muzzle diameter of around 0.7", slightly narrower at the tip due to the thread. The 700 SPS 16.5" is a bit fatter at around 0.85", again slightly narrower at the thread. As a comparison, the Howa HB Mini Action in 7.62x39 is 0.75"
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Apr 2017, 7:46 pm

in2anity wrote:From what I can gather the Ruger Ranch has a muzzle diameter of around 0.7", slightly narrower at the tip due to the thread. The 700 SPS 16.5" is a bit fatter at around 0.85", again slightly narrower at the thread. As a comparison, the Howa HB Mini Action in 7.62x39 is 0.75"

I can tell you that the Standard 7mm-08 is 0.57" at the 22" muzzle, 0.63" at 18", and 0.65" at 16" - I would expect this to be the same as the Standard .308.
The Predator .243 is 0.73" from the muzzle back a full 14" to the last 8" of the chamber end.

The muzzles are threaded 5/8"-24TPI for .243 to .308 barrels. .204/.223 is 1/2"-28, 450 Bushmaster is 11/16"-24.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mitch » 10 Apr 2017, 9:11 pm

Brass for 300blk is under $50/100 brand new ADI.

Costs should be no more then approx $0.70/shot including the cost of brass.
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Apr 2017, 11:04 am

vmaxaust wrote:The main thing I want is fast reliable operation of bolt and magazine.

I was just clearing some stuff off my phone and found a video that reminded me of your question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiX4Z9N_9k8
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 11 Apr 2017, 12:54 pm

Mitch wrote:Brass for 300blk is under $50/100 brand new ADI.

Costs should be no more then approx $0.70/shot including the cost of brass.

Gas-checked cast lead over Trail Boss is going to be a helluva lot cheaper than that, irrespective of whether it's blk or 308. Move into medium burns towards 2000fps for a little more performance but still a fraction of the cost.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Apr 2017, 4:23 pm

in2anity wrote:Gas-checked cast lead over Trail Boss is going to be a helluva lot cheaper than that, irrespective of whether it's blk or 308. Move into medium burns towards 2000fps for a little more performance but still a fraction of the cost.

Yep, lead is awesome.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles