Need a hand choosing a .308

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Need a hand choosing a .308

Post by dipper » 11 Apr 2017, 11:10 am

Hi guys,

First time, long time.

I'm a little stuck at the moment and wouldn't mind some assistance as I'm currently at an impasse. I've been searching around for a lightweight hunting rifle in .308 and I've finally narrowed my search down to a Sako 85 (either a synthetic stainless or a black bear) and a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather. Now new the Sako's are ~$2600 and the Winchester around ~$1800 but I've just seen both used and cheaper (the winny with a scope I wouldn't use), a Sako black bear with 50 rounds put through it and the Winny with 5 so basically new.

I have no idea what to do! I've handled both rifles and can't really pick between them, does anyone have any experience with either of the two to help push me over the edge?
dipper
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Need a hand choosing a .308

Post by Supaduke » 11 Apr 2017, 6:44 pm

Sako's are good quality, can't go wrong there. But on a side note, you can't seriously believe someone puts 5 rounds only through a firearm. A quarter of a box..... who does that?

Bang , bang, bang , bang , bang. Ok I'm done let's sell it.

Right up there with all the second hand cars only driven to the shops by little old ladies.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by taffy4x4 » 11 Apr 2017, 7:01 pm

Do yourself a favour, save some cash and buy a Tikka T3
Life is not a test drive
taffy4x4
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 11 Apr 2017, 7:08 pm

I Really like my M70 :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 11 Apr 2017, 7:38 pm

The M70 action is a nice one. No experience with the Sako but I'll bet they're nice Also. I like controlled feed actions but that's just preference. I'd keep the extra money and buy the M70 and spend the extra on a nice scope and mounts.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 11 Apr 2017, 8:04 pm

If the list is set in stone, then Sako. But if you want to take a look at a couple more, than Tikka and Browning x-bolt is also worth a look, as lite reliable rugged hunting rifles. And with leftover cash - good scope.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 11 Apr 2017, 10:31 pm

Supaduke wrote:Sako's are good quality, can't go wrong there. But on a side note, you can't seriously believe someone puts 5 rounds only through a firearm. A quarter of a box..... who does that... .

Someone with little experience with firearms that bought one and discovered that a 308 kicks a bit more than a .22?

My money would be on that sako.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Supaduke » 12 Apr 2017, 7:23 am

Bent Arrow wrote:
Supaduke wrote:Sako's are good quality, can't go wrong there. But on a side note, you can't seriously believe someone puts 5 rounds only through a firearm. A quarter of a box..... who does that... .

Someone with little experience with firearms that bought one and discovered that a 308 kicks a bit more than a .22?

My money would be on that sako.

I still find it hard to believe anyone can give up on something that quickly.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 12 Apr 2017, 8:31 am

Go the Sako. If you have the cash, why the hell not!?!

Are you going to shoot it with open sights?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sungazer » 12 Apr 2017, 8:50 am

Just don't go a really short barrel if you are going to hunt. I used a friends once I had a deer lined up and it had to be the last shot of the day as it was neigh on dark. I let the sent the shot the recoil from the gun was huge and a blast flash from the barrel seen in the scope flash blinded me for quite a while. The good news was the deer was down, however it did need a follow up shot. A longer heavier barrel really does soak up a lot of the recoil, bang and flash, so that is also a compromise you should consider.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by dipper » 12 Apr 2017, 10:25 am

Thanks for the replies all.

The "only 5 rounds fired" did make me think twice but maybe they didn't like the recoil as Bent Arrow said? I made the mistake of letting a friend shoot my .30-30 as the first gun he's ever shot and was put off by the recoil, not that there's a heap, and now won't try anything else so it can happen.

I have a Leupold VX-R lined up for it from another rifle so I'm good for optics, I like the open sights on the black bear and would probably use them as a backup but would mostly use the scope.

I own a T3 Varmint in .223 and I really like it, it's heavy but accurate. What I like about the two rifles I've narrowed down to are the smaller action sizes and lighter weight as well as the quality of the stocks and just build in general. In my search I looked at Rem 700's, Steyr's, Tikka T3x's, Lithgow's (goddamn are these heavy!) and Browning's but the Sako and Winchester just fit me better and felt better plus I'm happy to spend a bit more for them. I've always been interested in the Browning Maral though but straight-pull rifles are a whole other rabbit hole.

As for the short barrel, I shoot my .30-30 pretty frequently and it has a 20" barrel and I've never had an issue with muzzle flash or recoil. Plus the long, heavy barrel kinda defeats the purpose of a lightweight mountain rifle and isn't really needed for a .308.
dipper
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 12 Apr 2017, 9:09 pm

The sako looks the goods, and would be my choice out of the two rifles.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 13 Apr 2017, 6:42 am

flip a coin, say heads for the sako ,,when you flip it and it comes up heads or tails, and you think "best out of three" you have your choice :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 13 Apr 2017, 8:45 am

sungazer wrote:Just don't go a really short barrel if you are going to hunt. I used a friends once I had a deer lined up and it had to be the last shot of the day as it was neigh on dark. I let the sent the shot the recoil from the gun was huge and a blast flash from the barrel seen in the scope flash blinded me for quite a while. The good news was the deer was down, however it did need a follow up shot. A longer heavier barrel really does soak up a lot of the recoil, bang and flash, so that is also a compromise you should consider.

There's truth to this if you shoot certain factory or cook em hot, but if you're only taking shots inside 200yds, you can get away with ~2000fps hand loads. Reduced loads a) reduce muzzle flash b) reduce recoil. Such loads means a short heavy barrel is absolutely ideal for hunting; light, compact yet deadly accurate, even for long strings of shots. Catch is, you've really gotta be on top of your trajectories for those longer shots, ignoring that unethical energy drop off.
Last edited by in2anity on 13 Apr 2017, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 13 Apr 2017, 10:03 am

Not wrong on the barrel I have a 20" barrel on my Mauser .308 and have never noticed muzzle flash or blast any more than on my 24" Howa .308
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 13 Apr 2017, 12:41 pm

If you have a look on usedguns, there is a Sako 75 on there at the moment that I reckon is good value. I have one of those in 6.5 x 55 and it is a cracker of a rifle.( despite the synthetic stock.) :sarcasm:
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=100296
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles