223 vs 243 vs 270

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

223 vs 243 vs 270

Post by petemacsydney » 03 Dec 2013, 7:59 am

Anybody got advice on 223 vs 243 vs 270?

I'm after target, but more so game (vermin) at goat or medium boar size...

Cheers and happy shooting!!

P
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: 223 vs 243 vs 270

Post by banoob » 03 Dec 2013, 8:40 am

I'd be staying away from the .223 if you're after boar.
Ruger Magnum Hunter 300 Win Mag
Meopta 6-18x50
banoob
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Zilla » 03 Dec 2013, 8:50 am

I'd say stay away from the .223 too. Not enough juice to handle a boars skin/bone.

.270 will obviously do it all, but will probably be overkill on everything except decent size bore.

Of the 3 I would give my vote to .243 Win as well. It's a good, fast, flat shooting calibre and with 90+ grain pills it packs a punch.
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 03 Dec 2013, 8:59 am

Zilla wrote:It's a good, fast, flat shooting calibre and with 90+ grain pills it packs a punch.

I usually shoot 95gr Ballistic Tips in my .243

Has never failed to put down medium size game cold inside 200m.

Much easier on the recoil than a .270 too for days at the range.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by petemacsydney » 03 Dec 2013, 9:04 am

thanks for the advice guys! cheers p
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 03 Dec 2013, 9:22 am

.223 definitely won't be enough for boar. You'll be bouncing off bone and hide all over the place.

Do you ever imagine you'll want to hunt anything larger? Deer?

If you expect to get into this in the future .270 will do this for you also.

.243 is fine for small breeds of deer, but not enough for large Sambar or similar.

If you're not looking to get into that though, or are happy to buy a second rifle down the road, I'd also say the .243 for now.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by petemacsydney » 03 Dec 2013, 5:09 pm

Thanks Norton. Been talking to a few mates who are shooters and looking around the threads. i'm actually thinking maybe i should go for 2 rifles. maybe start with a 223 for small game and then when I've got more experience step up to a 271 or 308 for larger stuff. i saw a few posts on various websites saying that if i use a 243 on bunnies that there may not be much left of the bunny and i'll be carrying it out in a plastic bag..
do you guys share the view that a 243 will shred a bunny to pieces? i guess it also depends on rounds?
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Tonit » 03 Dec 2013, 5:32 pm

Heavy .243 loads will definitely turn a bunny to mush. If you're wanting them for food and not just doing pest control it won't be idea.

If you can afford two rifles that would be ideal.

.223 will take care of bunnies without turning them to paste and work for all your varmints.

.308 or whatever you get will do the job for everything else.
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by petemacsydney » 03 Dec 2013, 5:53 pm

thx mate. I don't think i'll be doing a lot of eating. Maybe the occasional bunny on toast or a fox curry, but i also wasn't sure of the etiquette on leaving a pile of mush behind in the bush or indeed on someone's property (who has allowed me to help with their pest problem). i presumed most hunters would tow out kills - i cant imagine a farmer would be pleased with dead mush attracting potentially other pests?
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 03 Dec 2013, 8:06 pm

petemacsydney wrote:I also wasn't sure of the etiquette on leaving a pile of mush behind in the bush or indeed on someone's property (who has allowed me to help with their pest problem). i presumed most hunters would tow out kills - i cant imagine a farmer would be pleased with dead mush attracting potentially other pests?

Meh, in will just break down over time or more likely be eaten by something else within a night.

I wouldn't worry about attracting more pests. Killing one is going to be more of a loss to their numbers than feeding another.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Nov 2016, 2:48 pm

Norton wrote:.223 definitely won't be enough for boar. You'll be bouncing off bone and hide all over the place.

Do you ever imagine you'll want to hunt anything larger? Deer?

If you expect to get into this in the future .270 will do this for you also.

.243 is fine for small breeds of deer, but not enough for large Sambar or similar.

If you're not looking to get into that though, or are happy to buy a second rifle down the road, I'd also say the .243 for now.

That's my thought, buy a deer calibre. 270,.308, 3006. Can always load it light on for pigs.
I have 22LR, 223 and 3006, covers almost everything. Peter, don't you have a 308 or 7/08 both will do the job.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by albat » 12 Nov 2016, 3:30 pm

Dont underestimate the .243 with the right bullets it will kill anything inside 200m roaming around here get a 17hmr for little stuff great little cartridge zero recoil
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Browning » 12 Nov 2016, 3:31 pm

Get a 22 (or 17hmr) and a 243..........and a 308....... and a shotty..........and.........
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Trekken » 12 Nov 2016, 3:32 pm

243 very versatile for your needs , i use mine on everything from fox to pigs , plenty of ammo options with buĺlet weights. In reality you will struggle to stop at one gun , get 223 for range and varmints, then get something bigger. Two cents
Marlin 22 , Savage 243 , u/o 28ga
Can't put brains in a statue
Trekken
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 12 Nov 2016, 4:35 pm

AusC wrote:
petemacsydney wrote:I also wasn't sure of the etiquette on leaving a pile of mush behind in the bush or indeed on someone's property (who has allowed me to help with their pest problem). i presumed most hunters would tow out kills - i cant imagine a farmer would be pleased with dead mush attracting potentially other pests?

Meh, in will just break down over time or more likely be eaten by something else within a night.

I wouldn't worry about attracting more pests. Killing one is going to be more of a loss to their numbers than feeding another.

This is an old thread but this statement is very ill informed.
Leaving rotting flesh in grazing land can lead to issues for the grazier. Most obviously is the attraction of carcasses to scavenging predators like cats, dogs and foxes. A regular free feed for cats will encourage them to breed near by and increase the chances of a toxo issue within breed stock. Free feeds for dogs make them stronger, bolder and more territorial; more likely to successfully kill live stock. Same with foxes, they will more successfully raise young with free feeds.

The other less known issues involve the pathogens that can develop in ground that has rotting flesh left behind. These pathogens can linger long after the carcass has rotted and affect livestock.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Nov 2016, 4:59 pm

:lol: :unknown: what happened tbere. Three year old thread and was at the top of the active thread page? :lol: :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Browning » 12 Nov 2016, 6:46 pm

We do roo and pig culling all the time and neither the farmer or us has any inclination to clean up "carcasses".....
I guess it all depends on the owner but everywhere we go, as long as they ain't left on a track, no problems...
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 12 Nov 2016, 9:34 pm

And threads crossing....
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 13 Nov 2016, 7:18 am

Browning wrote:We do roo and pig culling all the time and neither the farmer or us has any inclination to clean up "carcasses".....
I guess it all depends on the owner but everywhere we go, as long as they ain't left on a track, no problems...

Just because it's done does not make it good practice.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by duncan61 » 13 Nov 2016, 9:04 pm

I am fortunate where I shoot as there is a small area that I call Mirkwood cos its dark and overgrown and wet all year,Good for ducks but any unwanted carcasses go in their off the property,Its actually Crown land but not accessible from any side but the two adjoining farms.And guess where the pigs are showing up
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Nov 2016, 9:20 pm

petemacsydney wrote:Thanks Norton. Been talking to a few mates who are shooters and looking around the threads. i'm actually thinking maybe i should go for 2 rifles. maybe start with a 223 for small game and then when I've got more experience step up to a 271 or 308 for larger stuff. i saw a few posts on various websites saying that if i use a 243 on bunnies that there may not be much left of the bunny and i'll be carrying it out in a plastic bag..
do you guys share the view that a 243 will shred a bunny to pieces? i guess it also depends on rounds?

The rabbits will be fine with a 243 if you shoot them in the head, it will probably bruise the front legs but no great loss as theres SFA meat there anyway, I normally only bother taking the back legs and maybe the backstraps out of them anyway. You could get away with just the 243 I reckon for everything you've mentioned if you really only wanted the one cal as it has a good range of projectile weights from 55gn up to near 100gn if memory serves me correctly :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Nov 2016, 9:23 pm

petemacsydney wrote:thx mate. I don't think i'll be doing a lot of eating. Maybe the occasional bunny on toast or a fox curry, but i also wasn't sure of the etiquette on leaving a pile of mush behind in the bush or indeed on someone's property (who has allowed me to help with their pest problem). i presumed most hunters would tow out kills - i cant imagine a farmer would be pleased with dead mush attracting potentially other pests?

Pete just ask them what they want done with the carcasses mate, some are happy to let them lay, others have a kill pile they want them dumped in, just ask and they will let you know where you stand regarding that. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Nov 2016, 9:29 pm

Gwion wrote:
AusC wrote:

Leaving rotting flesh in grazing land can lead to issues for the grazier. Most obviously is the attraction of carcasses to scavenging predators like cats, dogs and foxes. A regular free feed for cats will encourage them to breed near by and increase the chances of a toxo issue within breed stock. Free feeds for dogs make them stronger, bolder and more territorial; more likely to successfully kill live stock. Same with foxes, they will more successfully raise young with free feeds.

The other less known issues involve the pathogens that can develop in ground that has rotting flesh left behind. These pathogens can linger long after the carcass has rotted and affect livestock.

I'd say written by someone who doesn't come off the land :D all the farms I visit have dead stock on them at one time or another, none get buried or anything special done to them, they are just left there to rot, same with pests, they lay where they fall 99% of the time or get dragged to kill piles where they rot. :thumbsup:

A wannabe farmer from the city well they'd probably hold a funeral service for the pet chook or lamb I guess. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 13 Nov 2016, 10:07 pm

If the paddock gets mowed for baling old bones go flying and cause problems so it pays to move any carcasses
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Nov 2016, 10:37 pm

duncan61 wrote:If the paddock gets mowed for baling old bones go flying and cause problems so it pays to move any carcasses

Yep common sense really isn't it. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 13 Nov 2016, 11:05 pm

Ive never shot a 270 but I have shot the 30/06.The ballistics are nearly at 7mm rem so Its got some go
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 14 Nov 2016, 9:09 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Gwion wrote:
AusC wrote:

I'd say written by someone who doesn't come off the land :D all the farms I visit have dead stock on them at one time or another, none get buried or anything special done to them, they are just left there to rot, same with pests, they lay where they fall 99% of the time or get dragged to kill piles where they rot. :thumbsup:

A wannabe farmer from the city well they'd probably hold a funeral service for the pet chook or lamb I guess. :D

Every farmer I know has a designated area where they put dead animals. Usually either a pit or a pile, where they will periodically burn the remains. The dead are not left to rot in the paddock.

Personally, I have a gully with Devils in it, so they get a free feed every now and then.

Leaving dead to rot is poor practice.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Nov 2016, 2:10 pm

Gwion wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Gwion wrote:
AusC wrote:

Every farmer I know has a designated area where they put dead animals. Usually either a pit or a pile, where they will periodically burn the remains. The dead are not left to rot in the paddock.

Personally, I have a gully with Devils in it, so they get a free feed every now and then.

Leaving dead to rot is poor practice.

Each to their own, around here they don't tend to worry about where things die much and I'll be buggered if I want to try and carry out 100kg pigs from down the steep gullies either, same with bloody dogs or foxes ain't interested in dragging them for miles either, they get shot and stay where they drop :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 14 Nov 2016, 9:29 pm

Speaking as someone who grew up on a largish (3000acre) working property near Dunedoo, most dead stuff out in the paddocks stays where it falls. If its in a inconvenient position like close to a dam or somewhere where you would smell it regularly, then we used to drag it away to an out-of-the-way gully. Same goes for large cattle stations (which I've also worked on) - you only move em if they may compromise the water. I've never known any real farmer to do anything different to this - and when it comes to cropping and pasture (which you may bail) it doesn't really matter if there's a few bones mixed in, nobody ever even thought about that from memory. You don't run stock on crops or bailing pasture though so no dead sheep or cattle. I suppose you wouldn't wanna drop a deer a week before wind rowing / bailing, that's a very specific scenario though... I don't know any hobby farmers personally, so I can't comment on their perhaps extreme attitudes...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Nov 2016, 7:47 am

in2anity wrote:Speaking as someone who grew up on a largish (3000acre) working property near Dunedoo, most dead stuff out in the paddocks stays where it falls. If its in a inconvenient position like close to a dam or somewhere where you would smell it regularly, then we used to drag it away to an out-of-the-way gully. Same goes for large cattle stations (which I've also worked on) - you only move em if they may compromise the water. I've never known any real farmer to do anything different to this - and when it comes to cropping and pasture (which you may bail) it doesn't really matter if there's a few bones mixed in, nobody ever even thought about that from memory. You don't run stock on crops or bailing pasture though so no dead sheep or cattle. I suppose you wouldn't wanna drop a deer a week before wind rowing / bailing, that's a very specific scenario though... I don't know any hobby farmers personally, so I can't comment on their perhaps extreme attitudes...

:clap: you get it - all the farms I've ever been on operate the same way, pretty much common sense I reckon, if it's in ya way move it, if not leave it where it lays.

All I can say to anyone who hunts on diff properties, ask the owner what the rules are so to speak, they will soon tell you how they want it to work and more than likely will tell you if they want carcasses disposed of in any particular way anyway but always good to clarify the rules before you start.

Lots of farmers don't like foxes hanging of fences, some are fine with it so I just clarify how they want things to work before I get started, same with spotlighting too, I find out if they are ok or not with it any restrictions etc, same goes for paddocks that have crops in them or are about too, I ask if I can or can't drive on them etc, some are fine some say no, ya just got to ask questions to avoid problems and you should be fine. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles