Suggestions for a 7.62x39 in pump action.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Suggestions for a 7.62x39 in pump action.

Post by Conallin24 » 14 Apr 2017, 7:56 pm

Hi there, I was hoping someone could help me with finding a 7.62x39 in pump action. I'm a fan of pump actions and although I've never tried one I'm all but certain that the 7.62x39 cartridge is the one for me. I have searched on some of the Australian gun sale websites and all I've found are zavasta bolt actions and AK clone SKK cat d which I cannot get. Any help would be appreciated.
Conallin24
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Suggestions for a 7.62x39 in pump action.

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 12:34 pm

Conallin24 wrote:Hi there, I was hoping someone could help me with finding a 7.62x39 in pump action. I'm a fan of pump actions and although I've never tried one I'm all but certain that the 7.62x39 cartridge is the one for me. I have searched on some of the Australian gun sale websites and all I've found are zavasta bolt actions and AK clone SKK cat d which I cannot get. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not a fan of pump rifles but pump shotguns work very well. 7.62x39mm is not a common cartridge in Oz as we don't have tons of surplus ammo like the US, and being a .311" bullet instead of standard .308 further limits its usefulness.
Is there a reason you want 7.62x39mm specifically? Have you looked at 300BLK? Similar ballistics but with .308 bullets.
Or you could get one of the box-mag pump rifles in .308 (like the Remington 7600) and simply load it back to 7.62x39mm ballistics if you desperately want to.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 15 Apr 2017, 12:44 pm

You would probably have to rebarrel a rem 7600. Would not be cheap and offers no advantage over an out of the box .308. But hey , it's your money
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 1:14 pm

Supaduke wrote:You would probably have to rebarrel a rem 7600. Would not be cheap and offers no advantage over an out of the box .308. But hey , it's your money

Probably just rechamber the .308 barrel as I think the .311's shoot fine in the tighter bore.
Still a waste of money though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Conallin24 » 15 Apr 2017, 2:26 pm

The reason I want one is my dad had a SKK about 35/40 years ago I think. Since I can't get the same one he has because it was D class and really bolt actions bore me I don't mind having some but I can't go past a pump or lever. Also I love having something different.
Conallin24
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Apr 2017, 2:46 pm

Conallin24 wrote:The reason I want one is my dad had a SKK about 35/40 years ago I think. Since I can't get the same one he has because it was D class and really bolt actions bore me I don't mind having some but I can't go past a pump or lever. Also I love having something different.

Like many milsurp semi-auto's, SKS rifles were cheap in the eighties, but they didn't have much of a reputation for accuracy.
I know several hundred thousand SKS came into Oz, I wonder where they all are nowadays?

The Howa Mini comes in 7.62x39mm if you absolutely must have that cartridge.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 15 Apr 2017, 3:15 pm

Like others have said, there isn't much options for a 7.62 x 39 pump action rifle. But if you really want a 7.62x39 rifle, check out the cz 527 carbine.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by WatchyShooter » 16 Apr 2017, 1:10 am

Jumping into this thread to tag along on the pump action rifle train, looking for anything other the the 7600, Think the Wedgetail Pump is going to costs kidneys, so other then those 2, are there really any options ?
Firearm-less LAFO!
New shooter, guns to come soon!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Tripod » 16 Apr 2017, 7:47 am

There is always the option of rebarreling a lever action like a Marlin as long as you don't mind running flat points, Pity that you would end up with ballistics similar to a 30-30.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Supaduke » 16 Apr 2017, 10:22 am

Bottom line, getting sentimental will end up with a rifle that is nothing like an SKS and will cost a fair bit of coin for no real benefit.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 16 Apr 2017, 12:17 pm

Kalashnikov is suppose to be releasing a pump action rifle this year dont know what it would be chambered in though. I've used the 7.62x39 semi auto and full auto in the Czech Republic lots of fun. I dont think it would be good for long distance target shooting, but it does rip through steel pretty easy just depends what you want it for.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Apr 2017, 4:39 pm

G'day Conallin24,
No one has ever made a pump in the Russian cartridge. To achieve anything close to what you want will require heaps of dough. A Rem 7600 is one place to start but a Sommer & Ockenfuss Shorty would get you closer to SKS size and appearance. As these are now obsolete, and were bloody expensive even when they were around, to buy and rebarrel would cost upwards of $3500+. What you would end up with though would be a very nice short range medium game rifle, think goats.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Conallin24 » 17 Apr 2017, 6:06 pm

Maybe I'll just get something else
Conallin24
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by superdave » 17 Apr 2017, 6:13 pm

The closest thing I can think of to your proposed pump 7.62x39 is a lever action 30/30.

I seem to remember that the 30/30 is close(ish) to 7.62x39 in overall performance.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Wobble » 19 Apr 2017, 1:26 pm

Close isn't really a pump, when it's a lever is it :mrgreen:

:friends:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by superdave » 19 Apr 2017, 4:36 pm

Wobble wrote:Close isn't really a pump, when it's a lever is it :mrgreen:

:friends:

True,can't argue, but still quicker than a bolt gun and much the same effect downrange.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Conallin24 » 19 Apr 2017, 9:40 pm

Speed isn't the biggest thing I want in it though, it's the feel and look too. And the brilliant calibre
Conallin24
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 19 Apr 2017, 11:42 pm

When has "Cause I want one" not been reason enough to justify a firearm no matter how impractical or expensive it may seem to others :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Dogger » 21 Apr 2017, 10:03 am

Hi I'm new to all this so forgive any etiquette slips. Im 53yo and i can remember that 7.62x39 M43 soviet cal pump rifles use to be sold in Adelaide. I want to say they were made by Saiga a Russian firearms manufacturer. I reckon they had 10 shot AK style ribbed mags. With chrome bores, i use to look at them in the Adelaide Gun Shop.
Dogger
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 21 Apr 2017, 4:25 pm

Dogger wrote:Hi I'm new to all this so forgive any etiquette slips. Im 53yo and i can remember that 7.62x39 M43 soviet cal pump rifles use to be sold in Adelaide. I want to say they were made by Saiga a Russian firearms manufacturer. I reckon they had 10 shot AK style ribbed mags. With chrome bores, i use to look at them in the Adelaide Gun Shop.

Very interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UmHMgiNQPU
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by WatchyShooter » 21 Apr 2017, 4:35 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Dogger wrote:Hi I'm new to all this so forgive any etiquette slips. Im 53yo and i can remember that 7.62x39 M43 soviet cal pump rifles use to be sold in Adelaide. I want to say they were made by Saiga a Russian firearms manufacturer. I reckon they had 10 shot AK style ribbed mags. With chrome bores, i use to look at them in the Adelaide Gun Shop.

Very interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UmHMgiNQPU

I feel like I'm going to go broke looking for one of those and then paying an arm for one :lol:
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by WatchyShooter » 21 Apr 2017, 4:37 pm

Looks like a new version could be interesting http://modernfirearms.net/civil/rus/ksz223-e.html

Also found this

PAR-1
https://youtu.be/8UbMD8JBWXY
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Cryptic » 21 Apr 2017, 5:54 pm

WatchyShooter wrote:Looks like a new version could be interesting http://modernfirearms.net/civil/rus/ksz223-e.html

Also found this

PAR-1
https://youtu.be/8UbMD8JBWXY

Supposedly made to hit the market in Feb of this year for competition shooting.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/02/13/kalashnikov-make-pump-action-ak-rifle/

*Edit update*
12 hours ago this was put up

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/04/20/kalashnikov-officially-releases-pump-action-ksz-223-rifle/
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 21 Apr 2017, 6:50 pm

As nice as it seems, being based on a semi auto, it will probably run into the same issues as the Troy PAR. Great looking rifle, I would be very pleasantly surprised if it actually made it to our shores.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 21 Apr 2017, 7:04 pm

Supaduke wrote:As nice as it seems, being based on a semi auto, it will probably run into the same issues as the Troy PAR. Great looking rifle, I would be very pleasantly surprised if it actually made it to our shores.

Feel the same especially being Russian too and how little we can get of their stuff here anyhow.
Nice rifle not really my cup of tea but another option out there if it will make it over the hurdle to get allowed here on a slim chance.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Dogger » 21 Apr 2017, 10:10 pm

I had a look at that AK pump, upper and lower receiver complete with combined select safe and fire lever right hand side, just like standard AK and akm families. Timber forearm similar to fn fal, as we're front sight and barrel. The cops would never allow that into Australia. Interesting concept.
Dogger
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by WatchyShooter » 22 Apr 2017, 3:30 pm

It is confirmed that this rifle was developed for the needs of competition shooters (manual rifle division).

Looks like it could be on the right track, staying clear of the terms that usually stop these from being imported or exported.

it would be a real test of "military appearance" for sure, and I've seen on some videos that the pump is somewhat a pull and release type, which is different to our laws definition of "pump action" which is required operation backwards and forwards
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 30 Apr 2017, 1:30 pm

http://www.buyusedguns.com.au/762x39-pu ... -5831.html
bet you will jump when you get to price i did.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by WatchyShooter » 30 Apr 2017, 3:07 pm

God that pricetag, but I mean that's the closest we will get to AK pump action.

I like the mod to accept AK SKK mags, that's nice
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 06 May 2017, 9:28 pm

bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles