New shooter - Finally got my A/B license

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New shooter - Finally got my A/B license

Post by Jacobandrew » 16 Apr 2017, 3:18 pm

Hey guys
First time poster, I've been reading over this forum for a long time now and a few months ago I decided I would get my Cat A/B long arm license. After weeks of paperwork and waiting I finally received my license and permit to purchase, I bought my 5 gun safe and later on went and bought my first rifle. I ended up with a Savage Mark II F .22 and am very pleased with my purchase.
Next up is buying a suitable scope, are there any recomendations for the certain magnification brand? I am looking to start hunting for rabbits, as well as spending some time at the range.
I've also convinced a friend to apply for a license, unfortunately he is renting so he will be unable to have a safe at his place, is it legal for him to store his guns in my safe?
Am looking forward to spending many hours lost in a forest struggling to find anything! :lol:
Jacobandrew
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: New shooter - Finally got my A/B license

Post by Gun-nut » 17 Apr 2017, 3:52 pm

It should be perfectly legal for him to store his firearms in your safe, however this may vary state to state. I believe its fine in Vic, double check though. If its legal then you will have to notify weapons licencing branch if he is to store his firearms at your place. I can't recommend much in regards to a scope, but my advice would be to keep it on the small side in regards to magnification. You don't need to have a scope with extremely powerful magnification if your shooting at 150-200m tops. Good luck and welcome to the forum. :)
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by albat » 17 Apr 2017, 4:01 pm

Nice one mate welcome to the forum and shooting you will be broke for years to come! Scope - .22lr target and rabbits 3-9x or 4-12x try save up a bit and buy quality if you can afford it leupold is a good place to start with scopes or anything for that matter cheap aint good and good aint cheap storing firesrms for your mate shouldnt be a problem as long as its on his paperwork is there any reason why heccant have a safe in the rental?
Last edited by albat on 17 Apr 2017, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 17 Apr 2017, 4:07 pm

Jacobandrew wrote:Hey guys
First time poster, I've been reading over this forum for a long time now and a few months ago I decided I would get my Cat A/B long arm license. After weeks of paperwork and waiting I finally received my license and permit to purchase, I bought my 5 gun safe and later on went and bought my first rifle. I ended up with a Savage Mark II F .22 and am very pleased with my purchase.
Next up is buying a suitable scope, are there any recomendations for the certain magnification brand? I am looking to start hunting for rabbits, as well as spending some time at the range.
I've also convinced a friend to apply for a license, unfortunately he is renting so he will be unable to have a safe at his place, is it legal for him to store his guns in my safe?
Am looking forward to spending many hours lost in a forest struggling to find anything! :lol:

Yes, you can permanently store your firearms at somebody else's house provided Firearms know the storage address. If that person is unlicenced then they can't have access to them.
Renting shouldn't make any difference, just patch up any holes when you leave.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jacobandrew » 17 Apr 2017, 5:06 pm

My mate told me he spoke to the owner and he just flat out said no, not exactly sure why!
I don't mind having his guns in my safe as long as its legal!
Jacobandrew
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by burek » 17 Apr 2017, 6:13 pm

There is an option for different storage address when applying online. Well, QLD anyway. I'm in the same boat as your friend, separate storage address.
burek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Yipikaye » 17 Apr 2017, 8:05 pm

Welcome and congratulations!

Have you been out shooting it yet?

You're ahead of me. How did you find the whole process? Any tips for someone about to start? I'm yet to do my safety course and apply.

How did you fix your safe? To concrete? I want to attach mine to a wooden beam in the roof. Yet to figure out how that will work ;)
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jacobandrew » 17 Apr 2017, 9:28 pm

Yipikaye wrote:Welcome and congratulations!

Have you been out shooting it yet?

You're ahead of me. How did you find the whole process? Any tips for someone about to start? I'm yet to do my safety course and apply.

How did you fix your safe? To concrete? I want to attach mine to a wooden beam in the roof. Yet to figure out how that will work ;)

Yeah mate I took it out the day I got it, shoots really nicely! Just need a scope now. I would recommend reading some of the posts on this forum, they really helped me! Also have a hold of a few of the guns in the shop when you go to buy one to see which one feels the most comfortable! The hardest part is waiting, so get ready for that.
My safe is bolted into the ground but am going to also put some through the wall soon, I'm pretty useless with this kind of stuff so my mums boyfriend helped me out!
Once all the paper work is done and you go to pick up your first gun it's a very exciting feeling, especially if your like me and have never owned a gun before! :)
Jacobandrew
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 17 Apr 2017, 10:01 pm

Welcome
Scope wise grab yourself a vortex scope some people bash them they are a great bit of gear and the warranty is on point. I personally run a 4-12 on both my la101 22lr and my marlin 17hmr.

You will have plenty of friends on here probably be a great idea to drag a few of your friends in to the hobby too.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 17 Apr 2017, 10:20 pm

Welcome to the community mate, savage make a decent rifle, i'm a big fan or vortex, burris and hawke scopes, something in a 3-9 or 4-12 power i find is good for a .22.

Your mate should just put a safe in, better upsetting a landlord than breaking the law ( if he wanted to store his firearm on the property ) or get a big heavy over 150 kg safe but he can toss them in with yours anyway thats legal.

And yeah forests generally suck, the animals are hunted and as such are pretty switched on about getting torn apart from predtors let alone being shot, but good luck there is stuff out there :)
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Yipikaye » 17 Apr 2017, 10:27 pm

I forgot to ask, how do you find the .22 as a first rifle? I've fired a lot of .308 overseas and was thinking of getting one but .308 is a lot of fire power and I probably will want to fire off 100+ rounds at a time to get practice aiming. I was always going to get a cheap .22 but now I'm thinking I should get a better one and wait on the .308.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bushie » 17 Apr 2017, 10:32 pm

Bushnell Trohy XLT 3-9x scope is a perfect beginners scope can pick them up for under 200
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jacobandrew » 17 Apr 2017, 10:38 pm

Yipikaye wrote:I forgot to ask, how do you find the .22 as a first rifle? I've fired a lot of .308 overseas and was thinking of getting one but .308 is a lot of fire power and I probably will want to fire off 100+ rounds at a time to get practice aiming. I was always going to get a cheap .22 but now I'm thinking I should get a better one and wait on the .308.

The .22 is beautiful, easy to shoot and ammo is cheap as chips!
Jacobandrew
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Jacobandrew » 17 Apr 2017, 10:40 pm

What is the lowest I should pay for a decent scope? I was looking at spending around $250-$300, I can't really afford more than that as I'm currently at uni and will need to save a little bit to buy it!
Jacobandrew
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Jacobandrew » 17 Apr 2017, 10:41 pm

Bushie wrote:Bushnell Trohy XLT 3-9x scope is a perfect beginners scope can pick them up for under 200

I'll have a look, thats around the amount I am looking to spend. Thanks!
Jacobandrew
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 18 Apr 2017, 1:48 am

I shoot my 22s more than I shoot anything else, carry guns come in second.. When it comes to the scopes I have Bushnells and Tascos on the guns, with them being either fixed 4X or 3X to 9X variables.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Lokvo » 18 Apr 2017, 7:56 am

Congrats OP! welcome to the beginning of the end lol kidding. New shooter, new A/B license, 5 gun safe, first rifle is a .22...your story is the exact same as mine :) you're gonna love it. Now get out to range and shoot.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bushie » 18 Apr 2017, 7:26 pm

Just spotted one for sale on Facebook, it's not the same model I was talking about but same zoom, saw and it reminded me of this post

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Hunting ... 0726627462
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jacobandrew » 19 Apr 2017, 12:03 am

Bushie wrote:Just spotted one for sale on Facebook, it's not the same model I was talking about but same zoom, saw and it reminded me of this post

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Hunting ... 0726627462

I'll have to send him a message, he's located in the same town as me as well! Thanks for that mate! :D
Jacobandrew
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles