Annie Oakley.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Annie Oakley.

Post by colinbentley » 17 Apr 2017, 9:07 am

Since taking up shooting it has made me marvel at the talent of Annie Oakley. With a high powered scope I have trouble hitting a garbage tin at a 100 meters. But Annie Oakley, no scope, could shoot a cigarette out of the mouth of Frank Butler at 30 paces , which I think is about 40 metres. How did this girl/woman achieve such incredible feats of accuracy ? She could shoot better than me while on horseback and no scope. Incredible hardly seems an adequate description. Is there anyone who has even come close to matching her talent,.?
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Annie Oakley.

Post by Supaduke » 17 Apr 2017, 9:45 am

Me

Or check out Tom Knapp
https://youtu.be/Z5uHt4AwYb4

P.s.

A fun drinking game, every time he says 'Benneli shotgun' have a shot
You'll probably be wasted by the 3 minute mark
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by p3seven » 17 Apr 2017, 10:02 am

There are several each generation. l can't name them (blame my old timers disease) with the talent which is a freakish ccordination of hand and eye plus, hours and hours of practice. The trick shooting phase, seemed to last from the 1880's to the 2nd World War. My elders would speak of them, the marksmen and women, with reverence.

Can you imagine the beauracacy and insurance allowing such public demonstrations (Annie Oakley could fill football stadiums) of prowess in this day and age.

At present time Australia has world champions in many shooting diciplines. Do we hear their prases sung as we did in the 50's when we watched the radio to hear the latest results from the Queen's shoot at Bisley?
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 17 Apr 2017, 10:19 am

australia has many fine shooters that come here to compeat in many forms.
last year end of trail was won buy a man from australia thats our largest cowboy action shoot.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 17 Apr 2017, 12:21 pm

colinbentley wrote:Since taking up shooting it has made me marvel at the talent of Annie Oakley. With a high powered scope I have trouble hitting a garbage tin at a 100 meters. But Annie Oakley, no scope, could shoot a cigarette out of the mouth of Frank Butler at 30 paces , which I think is about 40 metres. How did this girl/woman achieve such incredible feats of accuracy ? She could shoot better than me while on horseback and no scope. Incredible hardly seems an adequate description. Is there anyone who has even come close to matching her talent,.?

There are some bloody mind-bogglingly fast cowboy action shooters in the US.
And check out 22Plinkster and Miculek on Youtube.
There's also a pair of brothers that tour around the US doing trick shotgun shooting.
Last edited by bladeracer on 17 Apr 2017, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 17 Apr 2017, 12:58 pm

Practice makes perfect!
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by colinbentley » 17 Apr 2017, 2:11 pm

The thing which amazes me with these people is that they don't seem to follow the rules of shooting the rest of us mere mortals have to follow. Such as , very relaxed breathing, squeezing the trigger very slowly or to the real experts shooting between heartbeats. They do it at almost lightning speed.t is remarkable I suppose to see an expert apply his or her talent in any field. I know as an amateur drummer when I see videos of a jazz drummer called Buddy Rich I want to burn my drumkit. I suppose "freak" is not a Nice word but to exceptionally talented individuals it certainly comes close.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Apr 2017, 2:23 pm

A lot of the trick shooting was done using shot instead of bullets. Shooting balloons, plates etc from a "galloping" horse usually involved this method. A lot safer for the crowds also. :D
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Apr 2017, 2:27 pm

Gamerancher wrote:A lot of the trick shooting was done using shot instead of bullets. Shooting balloons, plates etc from a "galloping" horse usually involved this method. A lot safer for the crowds also. :D

I'm sure a lot of it was done with blanks as well, and the assistance of a gallery rifle tucked away out of sight somewhere.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Apr 2017, 2:44 pm

Don't get me wrong, Annie Oakley was one hell of a shot, extremely fast and accurate. Performing in basically a "circus" in crowded arenas however, required a bit of showmanship and a degree of safety for the audience.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by colinbentley » 17 Apr 2017, 7:37 pm

Something else which impresses me are armed forces snipers. Often these guys have a couple of seconds to make the shot. Even on the bench it takes me about 15 to 20 seconds. How the hell do they do it ?I think I have a way to go !
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 17 Apr 2017, 8:42 pm

colinbentley wrote:Something else which impresses me are armed forces snipers. Often these guys have a couple of seconds to make the shot. Even on the bench it takes me about 15 to 20 seconds. How the hell do they do it ?I think I have a way to go !

They practice a lot - like A LOT. Literally hundreds of rounds a day - so they know their rifles and trajectories like the back of their hand. Most people would be able to get almost if not as good as these guys with the same amount of drill. It just becomes like second nature - not much thinking involved, especially for close range urban warfare like you see in the Middle East. Don't get me wrong, they're skilled, but their variables are kept to a minimum, and they have flat shooting rounds and l lots of gadgets these days to help them with those longer engagements (where you generally have more time).

Soldiers who had the real raw talent IMO were the original unofficial snipers before it was even recognized. Those guys literally made it up as they went along, often relying on scavagend ammo and gear, often using the oppositions weaponry. Or how about the old 18 hundreds US Army soldiers shooting rainbow 50-70 and 45-70 l? - so many variables to estimate for long range engagements.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 18 Apr 2017, 11:02 am

in2anity wrote:Practice makes perfect!

Practice just reinforces habit.

Perfect practice makes perfect.....

Check out a modern Annie Oakley in YouTube:

https://m.youtube.com/user/KirstenJoyWeiss
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 18 Apr 2017, 11:27 am

Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by in2anity » 18 Apr 2017, 1:42 pm

Gwion wrote:
in2anity wrote:Practice makes perfect!

Practice just reinforces habit.

Perfect practice makes perfect.....

Lucky we practice perfectly ;)
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 18 Apr 2017, 2:56 pm

Gwion wrote:Here's on for Noisy:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RXmn8aavCwM

Old Lady Noisy out new Lady Noisy in - I'm in LURVE!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 18 Apr 2017, 3:36 pm

Hehe.... Thought you might like that one...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Apr 2017, 4:21 pm

colinbentley wrote:Since taking up shooting it has made me marvel at the talent of Annie Oakley. With a high powered scope I have trouble hitting a garbage tin at a 100 meters. But Annie Oakley, no scope, could shoot a cigarette out of the mouth of Frank Butler at 30 paces , which I think is about 40 metres. How did this girl/woman achieve such incredible feats of accuracy ? She could shoot better than me while on horseback and no scope. Incredible hardly seems an adequate description. Is there anyone who has even come close to matching her talent,.?

WTF? try doing it with ya eyes open! :lol: ;)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by colinbentley » 18 Apr 2017, 8:00 pm

I tried that but when I saw what was out there I closed them again.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Apr 2017, 8:48 pm

colinbentley wrote:I tried that but when I saw what was out there I closed them again.

:lol: :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wrenchman » 19 Apr 2017, 7:04 am

looks like the patch might be to thick it should not be that hard to seat the ball
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Centerfire rifles