Disposing of unwanted cartridges ?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Disposing of unwanted cartridges ?

Post by colinbentley » 19 Apr 2017, 1:01 pm

I have a plastic bag containing numerous cartridges, cases with live primers all for some reason faulty and cannot be used. How do I dispose of them I can't just throw them in the garbage. What do I do ........bury them ? Obviously some are still dangerous.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Disposing of unwanted cartridges ?

Post by p3seven » 19 Apr 2017, 1:08 pm

Most rifle ranges have an arrangement with their police or State explosives dept to collect missfires etc. and dispose of them. You should check with your local range.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by colinbentley » 19 Apr 2017, 3:34 pm

Thank you p3sweven. You are correct I can surrender them to my local police station for destruction.Obvious really isn't it? (sorry got your name wrong.......p3seven)
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SomeoneElse » 19 Apr 2017, 4:51 pm

I asked this when sitting the test. After a joking/sarcastic "throw them in a campfire" comment, they then suggested to put them in a container of oil "for a while" to allow the oil to seep in and neutralise any powder.

Handy suggestion, as I came across an old dodgy-looking 14 gauge cartridge (according to the print on it) a few years later when buying a house. I put it in oil for a few years, and the rest is history. I don't know how well it would work on brass cases, but it did the trick in my situation.

Someone Else.
SomeoneElse
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by juststarting » 19 Apr 2017, 5:00 pm

Decap and send to Bentaz. He'll appreciate it, with his new keyring making hobby. Or just drop it off at a police station. Or drown in WD40 and bin them.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Apr 2017, 6:04 pm

Pull em, shoot em, burn em.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Apr 2017, 6:46 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Pull em, shoot em, burn em.

Well,, actually, the police take them away and they are disposed of in a controlled burn. Along with a heap of other "munitions".

Take to the local cop shop.

PS. The oil soaking thing is not reliable.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SomeoneElse » 19 Apr 2017, 6:59 pm

Oldbloke wrote:PS. The oil soaking thing is not reliable.

Good to know. I suppose I got lucky with the one I handled. The crimped end may have let the oil get to the powder more easily than other types.

S.E.
SomeoneElse
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Tiger650 » 19 Apr 2017, 8:14 pm

Surely Kryptonite !!!

Any cartridge without a barrel / chamber is quiet harmless, in the bin with other rubbish.

I like my local coppers otherwise i would ask them to come around to collect a .22 short rd I found on my nature strip, gun fear is irrational.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 19 Apr 2017, 8:17 pm

I've butchered quite a few rounds here or there of every caliber i own in my need to know how things function and whats in them, i usually deconstruct them, fire off the primer into some blankets and have a small ceremonial burning of the power or cordite ( old .303 ) then its no harm no foul to anyone, keep bin, butcher whatever you like, with these city cops i'm never handing in ammo though don't want any more attention lol
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Return to Centerfire rifles