CZ455 Thumbhole Fluted vs Thumbhole Standard Varmint

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

CZ455 Thumbhole Fluted vs Thumbhole Standard Varmint

Post by merlin33 » 19 Apr 2017, 2:00 pm

Hi
Thought this might interest some. I bought myself a CZ 455 Thumbhole, a couple of years ago when they first came out....mine was in the first batch to Aust, i simply love it, it fits me, i like the look of it, i shoot really well with it. My lad recently turned 12 so i decided he needed one too and ordered a fluted varmint imported from the US. Interesting to note the diff's between one imported specifically for Australia and the American market intended one. The Fluted (US import) had a trigger spring that was so stiff i nearly couldnt make it go off...i assume American litigation habits....i fixed it, by putting a new spring it in. The American market one also came with a pile of preservative on it, took an hour and countless patches to get the crud out of the barrel. Both work just beautifully both are superbly accurate, in fact i like my sons fluted model even more than mine, it isnt as heavy....sadly again in the CZ shop online in America the fluted varmint barrels can be purchased, but Winchester apparently cant and doesnt import them to Aust. Pitty that. I do wish i could understand the vagaries of import and distribution decisions. :)
merlin33
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: CZ455 Thumbhole Fluted vs Thumbhole Standard Varmint

Post by Lokvo » 20 Apr 2017, 7:31 am

I completely agree with the heavy trigger on the US model. I haven't done the spring job yet though. My trigger finger has so much muscle now from that heavy pull - kidding lol.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 20 Apr 2017, 4:24 pm

merlin33 wrote:I do wish i could understand the vagaries of import and distribution decisions. :)

Put in a B709 and import the barrel yourself?
http://www.border.gov.au/Busi/cargo-support-trade-and-goods/importing-goods/prohibited-and-restricted
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by merlin33 » 21 Apr 2017, 10:08 am

mate i would but i gather a barrel needs an export licence from the US it doesnt fit low value ITAR exemption like other stuff...(i'd be delighted if someone could correct me or prove it wrong) so a $150 barrel could cost me as much to import as an entire rifle
merlin33
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles