New addition to the growing collection

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New addition to the growing collection

Post by Bent Arrow » 19 Apr 2017, 6:41 pm

Just picked up another addition, a much loved and slightly abused anschutz model 1450 in 22lr. This girl has had a few boxes pushed down her throat but still shows plenty of potential. It's in desperate need of a new magazine due to feeding issues that would be intolerable if not fixed. For the time being at least I am intending to stay with the open sights. The first sequenced step on the rear sight is pretty much dead on at 35, but the front bead covers a lot of the target beyond that. Maybe I need to go to a hold under sight picture? I haven't shot with open sights for years........
Attachments
_20170419_180058.JPG
_20170419_180058.JPG (713.32 KiB) Viewed 4799 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Re: New addition to the growing collection

Post by in2anity » 19 Apr 2017, 6:58 pm

A 6 o'clock hold is pretty standard for target work - imo you can be a little more precise using this technique
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Peeds13 » 19 Apr 2017, 9:35 pm

What a beauty
Peeds13
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by sungazer » 20 Apr 2017, 8:19 am

A feeding problem or an ejection problem. I have had 2 still have 1 1710 and the ejection is pretty week and if I am too quick or just unlucky I catch the last round still sitting in the action. Its been a long time since I have used open sights but I was taught to shoot with them and it was always place the target on top of the filled sight. A lot of the kids learning with me at the time used to get this wrong and it accounted for a lot of misses.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by in2anity » 20 Apr 2017, 8:41 am

sungazer wrote:Its been a long time since I have used open sights but I was taught to shoot with them and it was always place the target on top of the filled sight. A lot of the kids learning with me at the time used to get this wrong and it accounted for a lot of misses.

Center of mass hold works fine for closer ranges (i.e. 22lr territory); but at longer distances (like the 300m targets during MRCA matches), the blade completely masks out the target. A 6-o'clock hold means you can still center on the target even when it appears smaller than the blade.

In any case, when it's not against the rules I always replace front blades for front globes; that's what I was trained on, and you can be bloody precise with it with a peep and a globe; just about as precise as a scope on a nicely contrasting round target. Heck I even use globes when I'm hunting. I'd be experimenting with a globe sight if precision is what you're chasing - good new is a replacement front sight is usually fairly reasonably priced (compared to optics).
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 20 Apr 2017, 4:37 pm

bentaz wrote:I find if i rest the mag on my hand, the weight of the rifle holds the mag in properly. I know i explained that poorly im sorry.

That makes sense, tried it but doesn't help much, also not a natural hold position for me
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 20 Apr 2017, 4:43 pm

sungazer wrote:A feeding problem or an ejection problem. I have had 2 still have 1 1710 and the ejection is pretty week and if I am too quick or just unlucky I catch the last round still sitting in the action. Its been a long time since I have used open sights but I was taught to shoot with them and it was always place the target on top of the filled sight. A lot of the kids learning with me at the time used to get this wrong and it accounted for a lot of misses.

It's a feed problem. Eject is fine. There are two problems occurring. 1) projectile end of the round tends to sit high in the magazine and then catches on the throat of the chamber, (2) with the magazine in, if it's not sitting right, sometimes the bolt face hangs up at the rear edge of the mag, this doesn't happen as much as the first fault. With the mag out the bolt cycles flawlessly.

There are some tool marks on the lips of the magazine which tells me someone fiddled with it before.......
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 20 Apr 2017, 4:47 pm

in2anity wrote:
sungazer wrote:Its been a long time since I have used open sights but I was taught to shoot with them and it was always place the target on top of the filled sight. A lot of the kids learning with me at the time used to get this wrong and it accounted for a lot of misses.

Center of mass hold works fine for closer ranges (i.e. 22lr territory); but at longer distances (like the 300m targets during MRCA matches), the blade completely masks out the target. A 6-o'clock hold means you can still center on the target even when it appears smaller than the blade.

In any case, when it's not against the rules I always replace front blades for front globes; that's what I was trained on, and you can be bloody precise with it with a peep and a globe; just about as precise as a scope on a nicely contrasting round target. Heck I even use globes when I'm hunting. I'd be experimenting with a globe sight if precision is what you're chasing - good new is a replacement front sight is usually fairly reasonably priced (compared to optics).

Im not necessarily after what I'd call precision. I really bought it for plinking and bunnies plus something for the kids to learn on as the next step up from the .177 air rifle. I might have the occasional play at metallic silhouette but would struggle to find the time to take competition very seriously.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 20 Apr 2017, 5:07 pm

A few pics, you can see in the first couple that the mag has been fiddled with. The second d to last photo shows the top round sitting flush in the magazine. The other photos show the top round sitting high.
Attachments
_20170420_162910.JPG
_20170420_162910.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 4636 times
_20170420_162931.JPG
_20170420_162931.JPG (885.68 KiB) Viewed 4636 times
_20170420_163005.JPG
_20170420_163005.JPG (799.31 KiB) Viewed 4636 times
_20170420_163032.JPG
_20170420_163032.JPG (705.85 KiB) Viewed 4636 times
_20170420_163056.JPG
Mag feed
_20170420_163056.JPG (730.13 KiB) Viewed 4636 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 20 Apr 2017, 7:08 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:I might have the occasional play at metallic silhouette but would struggle to find the time to take competition very seriously.

Thoroughly recommend this - I do a bit of rimfire silhouette myself and it's SO much fun! The targets are bloody small though - I think the chickens are about 2.5" across at 40m, and they're among the easiest. So much more exciting than the olde ISSF style prone. Outside of the scoped rifles, we use a BSA 12/15 with Parker Hales and we are very grateful of that front globe.

Getting back to your feed issue, so the rounds hit above the chamber? Have you tried bending the magazine follower slightly to get em to point down a bit? Had a similar problem my Lithy.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 21 Apr 2017, 12:17 am

Yes, when the round is sticking up it gets pushed forward too high and connects above the chamber. I haven't tried to fix it just yet. I'm hoping the LGS where I bought the rifle will come to the party.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Apr 2017, 11:38 am

Definitely been "bubba'd" by an "expert".
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 21 Apr 2017, 11:45 am

Gamerancher wrote:Definitely been "bubba'd" by an "expert".

:lol: had to google that - totally gonna steal that one!
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 Apr 2017, 4:33 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:A few pics, you can see in the first couple that the mag has been fiddled with. The second d to last photo shows the top round sitting flush in the magazine. The other photos show the top round sitting high.

Have you tried a few different bullet shapes?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 22 Apr 2017, 8:45 am

Not yet, I think the root of the problem is at that back of the case, not the front of the projectile.....
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 01 May 2017, 6:00 pm

So...... Still waiting for the LGS....... meanwhile I went for a plinking yesterday arvo and found if I cycle the bolt with a bit of gusto, particularly if I keep the rifle shouldered the rounds cycle fine. Just not really a viable option long term.....

Damn good fun this open sights caper. Makes one realise just how crap their eyesight is getting.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 24 Jun 2017, 5:00 pm

Went into the LGS yesterday and grabbed some rings and put a 4x32 Nikon on the old girl. Went for a play. She seems to like federal high velocity solids. Reasonably tight groups for 50m off of a bipod....a few clicks to bring it down and bang on..
Attachments
_20170624_162013.JPG
_20170624_162013.JPG (781.21 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
_20170624_162048.JPG
_20170624_162048.JPG (734.03 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jun 2017, 8:33 am

Nice, my Brno isn't that good.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SHV » 25 Jun 2017, 10:35 pm

nice
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 27 Jun 2017, 8:48 am

you guys seem to get better looking 22s seems like every 22 is a semi auto with a stock built for a kid
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Centerfire rifles