Lever action as your 'primary' gun

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Lever action as your 'primary' gun

Post by nords » 03 Dec 2013, 12:59 pm

G'day all,

The trusty old bolt action is obviously favourite for everyone.

Is there a reason more people don't have lever guns as their primary or only rifle if they're not big shooters?

I know modern cartridges have the performance edge over the classics like 30-30 or whatever, but now wave things like the Browning BLR or whatever modern lever action which shoots .308 or .243 or whatever you want.

I have both, but I really dig my lever action and am a bit surprised more people don't pick them up.

What do you think?
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Lever action as your 'primary' gun

Post by Hercl » 03 Dec 2013, 3:01 pm

There's a whole lot more to a rifle than cycling the lever or bolt.

Action length set by the cartridge, overall weight, shooting requirements and cartridges which meet that objective, and more...

Like you said, modern cartridges and actions have evolved to have the performance edge.

Speaking in very general terms they're 'better' and this is reflected in what people buy.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Kaine » 04 Dec 2013, 2:05 am

It would really depend what I was doing, what would be my primary firearm.
Levers are great for rapidly bringing down small to medium game (depending on caliber) at close range, but if I wanted to put a bullet into a 50 cent coin at 500m I would be more inclined to use something designed to perform that well.
I am somewhat suspicious people are more interested in the latter than the former these days. But that would likely change if we got invaded by little football sized aliens that hurt when they bite. :P

I am somewhat curious how pump vs. lever would pan out though, they both occupy a similar position on the Speed vs. Power scale, but I know of only one pump-action that uses rifle calibers, and only one lever-action that does the same. Remington 7615/7600 and Browning BLR. Are there others out there? How do they compare?
I have heard mixed reports about the Remington, good for fun at close range, not for much more.
Also I am ignoring the Winchester 1895 for now, as both mentioned above are current production models, made for modern calibers.
Si vis pacem fac bellum
Kaine
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by whert » 04 Dec 2013, 9:57 am

Kaine wrote:Levers are great for rapidly bringing down small to medium game (depending on caliber) at close range, but if I wanted to put a bullet into a 50 cent coin at 500m I would be more inclined to use something designed to perform that well.

300m metres is the 'rule of thumb' max range for a typical lever action if I recall correctly?
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Kaine » 04 Dec 2013, 9:09 pm

whert wrote:300m metres is the 'rule of thumb' max range for a typical lever action if I recall correctly?

I have never heard that before, but I have never really talked to someone who is well informed on the subject before either.
I wouldn't argue with you over it, but I always think of different calibres conflicting with things like that. For instance I would not be aiming to hit a target that small at 300m with the .22 wmr lever I have.
Si vis pacem fac bellum
Kaine
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by whert » 05 Dec 2013, 6:07 am

Kaine wrote:I have never heard that before, but I have never really talked to someone who is well informed on the subject before either.
I wouldn't argue with you over it, but I always think of different calibres conflicting with things like that.

Yes you're right, calibre is everything.

I was more talking about 30-30 and other hunting calibres compared to a similar bolt action.

Like I said, very general 'rule of thumb', not hard science about the 300m max. I more just meant to say that a modern equivalent like a .308 bolt action will comfortable go further than a 30-30 lever.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hucka » 05 Dec 2013, 6:33 am

nords wrote:I have both, but I really dig my lever action and am a bit surprised more people don't pick them up.

I was going to say...

You've got a Browning BLR and an A-Bolt.

Which do you find yourself using more and why? Probably find your answer there.
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Kaine » 05 Dec 2013, 6:37 am

whert wrote:Yes you're right, calibre is everything.

I was more talking about 30-30 and other hunting calibres compared to a similar bolt action.

Like I said, very general 'rule of thumb', not hard science about the 300m max. I more just meant to say that a modern equivalent like a .308 bolt action will comfortable go further than a 30-30 lever.

Whenever I think of lever-action I tend to jump to pistol calibres, so I don't really associate levers with good range.
I have never actually used a lever chambered in a rifle calibre, so that is probably why, though I do plan on a 45-70 gov't, again though, it does not range well.

Does anyone here have a modern lever action that uses conventional rifle rounds (.223 rem, .308 win, etc)?
If so, what kind of ranges or accuracy do you get?
Si vis pacem fac bellum
Kaine
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Aussier » 05 Dec 2013, 7:40 am

Kaine wrote:Does anyone here have a modern lever action that uses conventional rifle rounds (.223 rem, .308 win, etc)?
If so, what kind of ranges or accuracy do you get?

There are a couple of Browning BLR fanboys here who will chime in I'm sure.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by headspace » 07 Dec 2013, 9:35 pm

It comes down to using the right tool for the job. If you want to hunt pigs in close cover like a lignum swap, then a lever is a good choice. It's short and offers a quick second shot if you need it. If you want accuracy at a longer range I'd opt for the bolt every time. You don't see too many military snipers using anything else but a bolt action. I was never much into long range shooting, my preference was always get as close as possible, that way you shouldn't need the second shot.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Seconds » 08 Dec 2013, 6:48 am

headspace wrote:You don't see too many military snipers using anything else but a bolt action.

Ha. I'm picturing some sniper with his massive long range scope on top of a little short barrel marlin lever or something like that :lol:

No hits for him.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by buster » 08 Dec 2013, 12:44 pm

Kaine wrote:It would really depend what I was doing, what would be my primary firearm.

Exactly.

I know a couple of guys who have a problem with pigs and regularly use lever actions as they primary guns.

Purpose is everything.
Mossberg MVP Varmint .223 Rem
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40

Howa 1500 Stainless .308 Win
Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40
buster
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by lole » 08 Dec 2013, 1:24 pm

buster wrote:I know a couple of guys who have a problem with pigs and regularly use lever actions as they primary guns.

30-30 lever action, the choice of pig hunters everywhere.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles