Yugoslav M48A 8mm - Worth it

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Yugoslav M48A 8mm - Worth it

Post by Skitz » 22 Apr 2017, 8:59 pm

Hey guys, looking to buy my first rifle! I have been looking for a Mauser for quite a while now and finally found one that i'd like to kick start my future rifle collection. :D

As per the Subject it's a Yugoslav M48A 8mm Mauser (Excellent Bore / Condition) with original sling, bayonet with matching scabbard, 11 stripper clips, Lee dies and casings for reloading. Also all serial numbers matching.

Price $1200 and not willing to move... Is it worth it? Im a freshy and would like a little advise on what I should do or if the price is good.

Cheers guys and an advanced thanks to all who reply. :drinks:
Skitz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Yugoslav M48A 8mm - Worth it

Post by No1Mk3 » 24 Apr 2017, 2:14 am

G'day Skitz,
The price is top retail. The extras add up to about $300, making the rifle itself valued at $900. As these rifles have gone up quite a bit since they were first on the market here, they seem to be selling between $7-900 2nd hand and the last lot of "in the grease" that Lawrance had were priced at around $1400. They are a good rifle to shoot,and the whole Yugo/Serbian Mauser series would make a very interesting collection. One of the best books on these rifles would be "Serbian and Yugoslav Mausers" by Branko Bogdanovic, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 24 Apr 2017, 9:35 am

Bottom line, they don't make these anymore and are only going to increase in value. You may spend $100-$200 more than you could have. In the long run it doesn't matter. The rifle is yours and it's unlikely you would lose money if you sold it on.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 24 Apr 2017, 10:19 am

Putting a scope on one will not be as straightforward as scoping a modern sporter.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 24 Apr 2017, 11:43 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:Putting a scope on one will not be as straightforward as scoping a modern sporter.

Would i be correct in thinking that scoping it would also probably drop it's collector value???
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Supaduke » 24 Apr 2017, 12:13 pm

Drilling and tapping will kill its resale. There are however clamp on scope mounts available for most Milsurps that work quite well.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 24 Apr 2017, 1:03 pm

G,day Wm.Traynor,
Why would you think that? The overwhelming majority of the worlds sporting rifles are based on the Mauser 98 design, as is the M48, though on the Vz24's intermediate length action rather than the K98k's long action. The first Yugoslav sniper was built on this model using a local made copy of the Russian PU scope and side mount. It was replaced in 1969 by a rifle based on the Zastava LK-70 long action, a closer K98 copy. During the Homeland War many M48 were unofficially fitted with ZRAK scopes and mounts, particularly by Bosnian fighters. As Superduke said, though, to drill and tap would wipe the rifles value even if it was to build and M52 Sniper replica, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 24 Apr 2017, 10:10 pm

Gwion wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:Putting a scope on one will not be as straightforward as scoping a modern sporter.

Would i be correct in thinking that scoping it would also probably drop it's collector value???

Agreed - taking a virgin one and drilling and tapping it for Weaver bases and a cheap scope (non-authentic) will turn it from an original into a Bubba'd thing.

If it's original, leave it so.

That's as a collector - do not reblue it, do not replace the clips with waterpipe clamps, and so on - you may re-add bits that were lost if the numbers don't matter, but that's it really. As a collector, you are a curator - a keeper of the article for the next person. It's an interesting mindset.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Skitz » 25 Apr 2017, 6:16 am

Hey guys, I just want to say thank you for all the replies! Great community here.

Just a small mention on scope mounts, you can actually get a non permanent scope mount thats solid as anything with a piccatinny rail like system. Fair coin though $110 US. Look up this site for more info and theres vids on youtube. https://brassstacker.com/MAUSER/

Spoke to a couple of mates and they recommended that I take a miss, supposedly I should start with something I can A: afford to shoot and B: practical use.
not saying that the Mauser Dose not have practical uses, more just cost wise and the fact that im buying my first gun i should be able to punish it, not nurture it.

Recommended first guns are, Ruger American 22lr and Adler 12g Tactical.

opinions?
Skitz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 25 Apr 2017, 9:08 am

Agree with your mates that 'collecting' can probably wait.
Definitely a 22lr of some description is a good place to start.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bridgy » 25 Apr 2017, 1:22 pm

You could always pick up one of the Norinco K98 .22 replicas and kill two birds with one stone!
Bridgy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Skitz » 25 Apr 2017, 3:08 pm

Cheers boys, enjoy Anzac day with your family. Lest we forget...
Skitz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles