243 Barrel Length

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

243 Barrel Length

Post by straightsilver » 23 Apr 2017, 9:24 pm

Hi All

I am looking to get a 243 Rifle for general hunting. Turning rabbits into mist, taking down smaller dear that sought of thing.

I thing I am finding though is a lot of rifles seem to be either 22" or 24" inch and I am struggling to decide what length to go for.

As I understand it from my reading 22" barrels are lighter which is good for carrying around all day.
While 24" barrels are good for longer range.

Is there much of an accuracy penalty going for a 22" over a 24"?
straightsilver
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Re: 243 Barrel Length

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Apr 2017, 9:34 pm

Yes, if a relatively slow burning power is use the longer barrel will achieve slightly higher velocity. All my barrels at 22". I doubt the average user would notice the difference though. Better accuracy, not sure.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 23 Apr 2017, 11:26 pm

Barrel twist is more important.The manufacturers make .222 in 1.12 or 1.14 yet .223 comes in 1.8 to 1.12 as they need to stabilize heavier bullets.243 comes in 1.10 to 1.12 and 22 inch and 24 inch barrels.I walk around hunting with my 7mm Sendero which has a heavy 26 inch barrel and have no issues.A light weight 22 inch barrel in .243 should shoot accurate enough for general hunting and will head shoot rabbits and leave meat for the pot
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 24 Apr 2017, 11:21 am

straightsilver wrote:Hi All

I am looking to get a 243 Rifle for general hunting. Turning rabbits into mist, taking down smaller dear that sought of thing.

I thing I am finding though is a lot of rifles seem to be either 22" or 24" inch and I am struggling to decide what length to go for.

As I understand it from my reading 22" barrels are lighter which is good for carrying around all day.
While 24" barrels are good for longer range.

Is there much of an accuracy penalty going for a 22" over a 24"?

I doubt there'd be any difference in accuracy due to barrel length.
Slightly greater velocity from the extra two-inches, but nothing you'd notice in a hunting rifle.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 24 Apr 2017, 11:33 am

You will lose somewhere between 10-50fps per inch of barrel, depending on cartridge and original barrel length, etc, etc.: http://rifleshooter.com/2016/04/243-win ... -velocity/

As for accuracy:
** In a light sporter barrel with optics fitted you will actually have slightly better precision (not accuracy, but repeatable shot placement potential) in a shorter barrel as a shorter cylinder is stiffer than a longer one. So, a barrel of the same profile that is 2" shorter will be more rigid than a longer barrel of the same profile and less susceptible to the effects of barrel heating in regard to wandering point of impact.
** On a rifle with open/iron/mechanical sights fitted to a shorter barrel, you will have slightly less accuracy than a longer barrel because of a reduced sight radius and increased parallax.

30fps is not going to effect your accuracy or precision in any truly measurable way.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RoginaJack » 24 Apr 2017, 3:38 pm

A 22" barrel would be slightly quicker to handle in the bush and "bring to the shoulder position" but the rabbits, foxes and dogs etc won't notice the difference, so whatever you feel comfortable with.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Apr 2017, 5:36 pm

RoginaJack wrote:A 22" barrel would be slightly quicker to handle in the bush and "bring to the shoulder position" but the rabbits, foxes and dogs etc won't notice the difference, so whatever you feel comfortable with.

+1
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 24 Apr 2017, 10:16 pm

Ballistically, the difference isn't really worth worrying about. But in the thick stuff, you WILL notice the extra two inches. (At least I tell my wife so)

But it's really all good and gives you an opportunity for a bush rifle and a mountain rifle.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by straightshooter » 25 Apr 2017, 7:49 am

The intrinsic accuracy of a barrel isn't determined by it's length. Internal dimensions and finish, uniformity and chambering are what determine accuracy.
Contrary to what some have stated, a light profile 24 inch barrel (eg Parker Hale or Winchester Featherweight) will handle better than a heavier 22 inch barrel so it's not that simple.
If you don't wear hearing protection then a 24 inch barrel will have slightly less perceived muzzle blast. But that's not to suggest you don't wear hearing protection.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by straightsilver » 25 Apr 2017, 8:36 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! I am going to go with a rifle with a 22" barrel most likely.
straightsilver
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Centerfire rifles