Best Apps for Target Shooting and Hunting

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Best Apps for Target Shooting and Hunting

Post by Yipikaye » 25 Apr 2017, 9:10 am

Hi All,

Are there any good apps you would recommend for target shooting and hunting? There is no point searching the app store you just find a heap of terrible games and online I've not found many good reviews of apps.

There are a few apps that I use but they don't seem to be right for me. They all have one or 2 things that annoy me. If you could suggest any I'm missing that would be good. e.g. are there any good range finding apps (I can mark it on google maps and it calculates the distance?)

Target Shooting:
    Sako Ballistics
    Norma Ballistics
    Strelok
    Lapua Ballistics

Hunting:
    Map My Walk
    Above apps
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Best Apps for Target Shooting and Hunting

Post by Gwion » 25 Apr 2017, 9:15 am

Google maps/earth is only good on flat terrain and then only roughly accurate. It covers map distance (a-b on ground surface), not straight line distance needed to range a shot.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusTac » 25 Apr 2017, 10:25 am

I've got a folder on my phone with " unit converter ", applied ballistics and hawke's own ballistics app, only used it to " simulate " shots at this stage but seems legit
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by p3seven » 25 Apr 2017, 6:15 pm

General:
"Reloaders Workshop" ($15 I think) for my laptop

Target
"OnTarget PC" I photo the targets with my phone and upload them to the program when home
"Range Buddy" on my Tablet and Phone (useful for on the spot results)

Bush work
"Hema Explorer" for Nav work
"Google earth" to find the clearings etc.
I carry an old GPS and a compass for backup.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Yipikaye » 25 Apr 2017, 7:18 pm

awesome tips / apps.

Thanks guys.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lokvo » 26 Apr 2017, 12:25 pm

I use strelok. It's been bang on for the most part so far.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Archie » 26 Apr 2017, 12:52 pm

I use ballistics advanced edition for looking at trajectories. I'm not a target shooter so I am no expert on this stuff, but in terms of understanding trajectories and comparing rounds it works well for me and to the extent that I've compared practical results to the output tables across different factory loads across varying ranges, the bullets go where they are supposed to. However may well be better options. And it's definitely overpriced.

For state forest trips in NSW I use the DPI google maps overlay for permitted zones, with a couple of provisos. I actually usually download the apps for my GPS and my phone/tablet, because I find that the visibility of the map overlays is much better on the phone. On my GPS the shading is not particularly clear, especially in bright sunlight. And for use on planning where to go, phone/laptop/tablet infinitely better. But, when you are out there, the phone chews battery like crazy - especially if you are tracking your path - which the GPS does not. Also prior experience has taught me the GPS does a much better job of still working after I've gone ass-first down a gully into a full creek.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jun 2017, 12:50 am

I just found a free app called "mapmywalk".

It looks interesting. It displays/tracks where you have been walking on Google Maps.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Yipikaye » 07 Jun 2017, 7:17 am

I've used map my walo a few times hiking. It is good but seems to need data to be accurate. Otherwise you get long lines where it doesn't have waypoints.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by YoungBuck » 09 Jun 2017, 4:08 pm

I've got Strelok Pro, ($16 on google apps store).
Has anyone had success with Strelok with a .22? I've punched in the values for supers and subsonics and when looking at the crosshair image on the app, it does not come close to getting the aim right for the bullet drop...
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jun 2017, 6:36 pm

YoungBuck wrote:I've got Strelok Pro, ($16 on google apps store).
Has anyone had success with Strelok with a .22? I've punched in the values for supers and subsonics and when looking at the crosshair image on the app, it does not come close to getting the aim right for the bullet drop...

I don't use any apps, but with .22LR I've found that when you can actually find a BC from the manufacturer it still doesn't always follow the correct trajectory. Best to simply shoot them at several distances and calculate the BC yourself.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Yelp » 15 Jun 2017, 3:31 pm

Gwion wrote:Google maps/earth is only good on flat terrain and then only roughly accurate. It covers map distance (a-b on ground surface), not straight line distance needed to range a shot.

They're adding topography lines to maps now which is making it pretty good :thumbsup:

And more of it is getting 3d
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 06 Jul 2017, 3:19 pm

bladeracer wrote:
YoungBuck wrote:I've got Strelok Pro, ($16 on google apps store).

I don't use any apps, but with .22LR I've found that when you can actually find a BC from the manufacturer it still doesn't always follow the correct trajectory. Best to simply shoot them at several distances and calculate the BC yourself.

Just wanted to update on this - you were pretty spot on. Original BC was set to .115 (or somewhere close to that), have since toned it way back to .08 and am now hitting the frying pan I've got 124m down range according to the app. I'll work out exact BC next time (the app can help with that), not sure where the .115 came from but seems like it was way off.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Kipper » 18 Jul 2017, 10:40 am

Lokvo wrote:I use strelok. It's been bang on for the most part so far.

Same, I've found it to be good.
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Centerfire rifles