Project.....

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Project.....

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 Apr 2017, 5:27 pm

Soooooo I'd like to call it the latest project, but it's been (literally) collecting dust for a couple of years...

and I don't post many pics of rifles, in fact none apart from the Lithy some time back...this is really in response to that young fella 'juststarting' and his recent commentary, that danged whippa snappa.... :lol:

So I picked up a somesuch a few year back..... I wont identify it, consider this an exercise of nationalism or something..... for you fellas to take a gander at first;

I disassemble it with the view to giving it the once over..even the twice over... it was cruddy...... and having a backup for the range or whatever else, actually at the time i wasnt shooting ANY ... of its relevant chambering at all.... still dont shoot much of it, only the young-uns do really...

But I really like this rifle for a particularly interesting quirk or detail....

Anyway, I took it to pieces-ville, and some are here, some are there... I know then Action is in a safe somewhere.....I saw the bolt the other week.... the stock I'll need to locate....

I'll comment further, but before any cleaning or anything, here are a few assorted pieces;

What is it?

Here's the challenge, first to name it, and the year (within 5 years) will win THE INTERNETS......

and anyone else can have a shoot.....

:thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Re: Project.....

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 26 Apr 2017, 6:52 pm

Stab in the dark, and their not my speciality.

No 1, mk 1, commonly referred to as a long tom 303 Brit... I'd say about 1900 build or there abouts, been a range rifle going by that rear central site, and probably is fitted with a "motty barrel

Close..???????

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 26 Apr 2017, 7:00 pm

---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 Apr 2017, 11:49 am

COLLECTOR 1 wrote:Stab in the dark, and their not my speciality.

No 1, mk 1, commonly referred to as a long tom 303 Brit... I'd say about 1900 build or there abouts, been a range rifle going by that rear central site, and probably is fitted with a "motty barrel

Close..???????

Collector 1

Champion....Birmingham, 1902.

No Motty.... original barrel, worn to metford spec (hahaha not really.... yet...)

What I find interesting, is that it has Victorian, Edwardian and Georgian Cyphers!!

Now to find the wood.....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 27 Apr 2017, 5:42 pm

Lee Metford, apparently the tang on the butt stock and the notch on the top of the trigger is sign, Circa 1884-1896 and the precursor to the Lee Enfield.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 Apr 2017, 9:07 pm

brett1868 wrote:Lee Metford, apparently the tang on the butt stock and the notch on the top of the trigger is sign, Circa 1884-1896 and the precursor to the Lee Enfield.

Interesting... I thought the butt plate was MLE, as I dont have an MLM to compare.... but the action is marked 1902 V, even though V expired the year before.... so I assume it was in stock, but dated when it eventually left the arsenal....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 29 Apr 2017, 1:39 pm

Found the wood... is marked 04, and the butt has some extra screw holes so it might have an older plate attached...

other stamps is a commonwealth of Aus - Victoria stamp

I love the volley sights.... very nostalgic to think of the way they 'did war' back then, order volley fire, and rain lead out yonder, this is set to 2800yds, so imagine the inclination of the barrel with the rear post raised...and aligned with the bead on the end of the arm...

In the 'parts bin' picture above you can see a few interesting things, the 'piling swivel' attached to the bayo lug piece, as well as the magazine retaining loop....I dont have the corresponding attachment to the mag, but the primary (of 2? carried) magazine was attached at this point.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Return to Centerfire rifles