CZ and Custom Chassis to suit SA mauser

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

CZ and Custom Chassis to suit SA mauser

Post by PoorShot300 » 28 Apr 2017, 7:02 pm

Hi all.... looking to build a tactical(?) platform on a CZ 527 in .223cal.

Have tried to find other than timber/laminate/plastic chassis/stock to suit this SA mauser, and it seems i always read 'suits Rem 700, or Sako/Tikka, or even Savage, yet i never read of these little rifles being suited to the custom rigs.

Just wondering if anyone has used a smithy/chassis maker (like Wombat Ord. for eg) to built a tactical platform?

If so please provide details, or if you have links for makers.....with Thanks :thumbsup:

PoorShot300
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: CZ and Custom Chassis to suit SA mauser

Post by bladeracer » 28 Apr 2017, 9:33 pm

PoorShot300 wrote:Hi all.... looking to build a tactical(?) platform on a CZ 527 in .223cal.

Have tried to find other than timber/laminate/plastic chassis/stock to suit this SA mauser, and it seems i always read 'suits Rem 700, or Sako/Tikka, or even Savage, yet i never read of these little rifles being suited to the custom rigs.

Just wondering if anyone has used a smithy/chassis maker (like Wombat Ord. for eg) to built a tactical platform?

If so please provide details, or if you have links for makers.....with Thanks :thumbsup:

PoorShot300

I built my own bullpup chassis for my Ruger Americans. I know it's legal in Victoria but it's illegal in NSW/ACT and probably most other states.
Designing similar for my milsurps as well.
Attachments
270420161353.jpg
270420161353.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 8309 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 28 Apr 2017, 10:17 pm

sungazer wrote:Just today on used guns Remingyon 783 in .243 in a MDT LSS stock $1499. I think I did see a CZ in a similar setup

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=101022

Thanks, but that would make it a long action...the .223 is really a 'mini' mauser...

Cheers
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 28 Apr 2017, 10:18 pm

bladeracer wrote:I built my own bullpup chassis for my Ruger Americans. I know it's legal in Victoria but it's illegal in NSW/ACT and probably most other states.
Designing similar for my milsurps as well.

Kudos for the work there, but bullpup not quite what i had in mind either, sorry.

I can appreciate the work you put into it though.. :thumbsup:

Gypsy
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Apr 2017, 10:21 pm

PoorShot300 wrote:
sungazer wrote:Just today on used guns Remingyon 783 in .243 in a MDT LSS stock $1499. I think I did see a CZ in a similar setup

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=101022

Thanks, but that would make it a long action...the .223 is really a 'mini' mauser...

Cheers

Not sure what you mean, but all my MDT LSS chassis are short action Ruger Americans.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Apr 2017, 4:11 am

PoorShot300 wrote:Kudos for the work there, but bullpup not quite what i had in mind either, sorry.

I can appreciate the work you put into it though.. :thumbsup:

Gypsy

I wasn't actually suggesting it :-)
Just putting it out there that you could simply make exactly what you want rather than wait for somebody else to make something that's close enough.
There was surprisingly little effort involved. I banged it together pretty quickly as a proof of concept rather than put a ton of work into building something that didn't actually work very well, and was very impressed with it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 29 Apr 2017, 2:41 pm

bladeracer wrote:I wasn't actually suggesting it :-)
Just putting it out there that you could simply make exactly what you want rather than wait for somebody else to make something that's close enough.
There was surprisingly little effort involved. I banged it together pretty quickly as a proof of concept rather than put a ton of work into building something that didn't actually work very well, and was very impressed with it.

:oops: ...You got me first time out to bat bladeracer... :D
I made the mistake of seeing the .243 reference without looking at the site for the chassis company, which, in hindsight is what sungazer was alluding for me to do.

As noted, my current 'hands-on' has only been with my lever rifles, and no 'DIY' or 'smithing' required.... i purposely bought those for exactly what they are... regarding doing it myself, i am not equipped, in either tools, workshop/room, or ability, to DIY...that's why i was hoping there may have been some drop-in 'commercial' platforms available for the mini-mauser.... assembly i can manage, manufacture is beyond me. :mrgreen:

I'm not overly familiar with the Ruger, as i got to the CZ from looking at the M03 and European forums (CZ & Bruno well mentioned where 'budget' 5.56 is concerned)... being the budget alternative for a 'Mauser' CRF that it is, and got confused as to just what sungazer was suggesting. I also chose the CZ as it is rated to take 5.56 ammo whereas US SAAMI for .223 are not (Ruger, Winchester for eg.). 8-)

Looking at the MDT site and chassis alluded to, and going by what your suggesting, it could possibly work,...i do see i would still have to do 'some tweaking' anyway, due to the adjustable two stage (set?) trigger apparently, and i'll have to try and find a schematic diagram for the two (CZ vs Ruger) for things like bottom mounts and action bed screw locations to allow for any feed inlet variations. They mention AI mags, and i've not read the CZ & AI in conjunction?.

I am unsure as to how to equate..."Mounting holes are spaced for Magpul style L5 (11 slots) and L3 (7 slots) rails (1.600” / 3.200”) to be used on the bottom of the forend up to 6.5" in length.".....to the CZ???

Any ideas where i can access the diagrams, as the Manufacturers sites rarely appear to provide them?...

Just my luck, i quite like the HS3, but Ruger not supported either..

Local gun store here in the bush only stocks farm type arms (and mostly push feeds), and few manufacturer's/importers for his stock. Anything from left curve and i'm looking at a deer staring in headlights..."Customs ya say?,...you goin shooting overseas then?" (ie; no idea). :lol: :lol: :lol:

And there's only 3x Bench guys locally he could name, but due to his lack of enthusiasm, and the lack of a Bench club, (Shotguns yes) i wasn't inclined to inquire further...someone else gets my $$$ :wtf:

All good and fine for a niche business model in order to survive, just makes it harder for me to get a tactile understanding of the variables... :violin: ........More research before i decide.. :thumbsup:

sungazer..it appears i didn't give your post it's due ...( :allegedly: :lol: ), and for that i do apologize.. :oops:
Thanks for your input also....
:drinks:

Are you aware if there are any in Aus that brings those in, and besides Wombat Ordnance (i haven't contacted yet), who make custom chassis in Aus that might be recommended or worth trying?

Regards,
Gypsy
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Apr 2017, 4:44 pm

PoorShot300 wrote: :oops: ...You got me first time out to bat bladeracer... :D
I made the mistake of seeing the .243 reference without looking at the site for the chassis company, which, in hindsight is what sungazer was alluding for me to do.

As noted, my current 'hands-on' has only been with my lever rifles, and no 'DIY' or 'smithing' required.... i purposely bought those for exactly what they are... regarding doing it myself, i am not equipped, in either tools, workshop/room, or ability, to DIY...that's why i was hoping there may have been some drop-in 'commercial' platforms available for the mini-mauser.... assembly i can manage, manufacture is beyond me. :mrgreen:

I'm not overly familiar with the Ruger, as i got to the CZ from looking at the M03 and European forums (CZ & Bruno well mentioned where 'budget' 5.56 is concerned)... being the budget alternative for a 'Mauser' CRF that it is, and got confused as to just what sungazer was suggesting. I also chose the CZ as it is rated to take 5.56 ammo whereas US SAAMI for .223 are not (Ruger, Winchester for eg.). 8-)

Looking at the MDT site and chassis alluded to, and going by what your suggesting, it could possibly work,...i do see i would still have to do 'some tweaking' anyway, due to the adjustable two stage (set?) trigger apparently, and i'll have to try and find a schematic diagram for the two (CZ vs Ruger) for things like bottom mounts and action bed screw locations to allow for any feed inlet variations. They mention AI mags, and i've not read the CZ & AI in conjunction?.

I am unsure as to how to equate..."Mounting holes are spaced for Magpul style L5 (11 slots) and L3 (7 slots) rails (1.600” / 3.200”) to be used on the bottom of the forend up to 6.5" in length.".....to the CZ???

Any ideas where i can access the diagrams, as the Manufacturers sites rarely appear to provide them?...

Just my luck, i quite like the HS3, but Ruger not supported either..

Local gun store here in the bush only stocks farm type arms (and mostly push feeds), and few manufacturer's/importers for his stock. Anything from left curve and i'm looking at a deer staring in headlights..."Customs ya say?,...you goin shooting overseas then?" (ie; no idea). :lol: :lol: :lol:

And there's only 3x Bench guys locally he could name, but due to his lack of enthusiasm, and the lack of a Bench club, (Shotguns yes) i wasn't inclined to inquire further...someone else gets my $$$ :wtf:

All good and fine for a niche business model in order to survive, just makes it harder for me to get a tactile understanding of the variables... :violin: ........More research before i decide.. :thumbsup:

sungazer..it appears i didn't give your post it's due ...( :allegedly: :lol: ), and for that i do apologize.. :oops:
Thanks for your input also....

Are you aware if there are any in Aus that brings those in, and besides Wombat Ordnance (i haven't contacted yet), who make custom chassis in Aus that might be recommended or worth trying?

Regards,
Gypsy

.243 is short action, same as .223 and .308 - is the Mini even shorter?
Is there any reason for wanting a 5.56mm chamber rather than .223?
The mounting holes refers to the rail mount under the forend. I didn't bother on my MDT's, I just drilled and tapped standard rails under the forend and on the left side of the receiver.
I'm two-hours south of Melbourne but you could bring the CZ down and compare it to my Ruger Americans and my MDT chassis. I haven't seen a naked CZ but the Ruger receiver is a simple circular tube with a trigger pack hung off the bottom.
There are some Aussie manufacturers of chassis, but they're damned expensive compared to imported products. I would think a custom job would be even more expensive.
Mine was made with hand tools, mostly done in my lap with a hacksaw, files, drill bits and taps.
Attachments
110220161255.jpg
110220161255.jpg (473.69 KiB) Viewed 8262 times
110220161257.jpg
110220161257.jpg (646.09 KiB) Viewed 8262 times
110220161262.jpg
110220161262.jpg (560.33 KiB) Viewed 8262 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Apr 2017, 6:22 pm

bentaz wrote:
PoorShot300 wrote:Hi all.... looking to build a tactical(?) platform on a CZ 527 in .223cal.

What tactics are you hoping to employ?

The number one tactic that always gets results for me - having fun!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 29 Apr 2017, 6:31 pm

.243 is short action, same as .223 and .308 - is the Mini even shorter?
Understood, i was getting the .223 COAL confused with the action length, the .308 is SA... :oops:

Only in the instance while reloading of over charge, or get pointed to a cheap buy, or a buddy has surplus to shoot off...i can comfortably shoot both or either with peace of mind. I like having choices, a personal thing i guess.. :D

The mounting holes refers to the rail mount under the forend. I didn't bother on my MDT's, I just drilled and tapped standard rails under the forend and on the left side of the receiver.
Yeah, i figured that out also when i went back for a second and third read on the site...seems the LSS is the only chassis they make suitable...

I'm two-hours south of Melbourne but you could bring the CZ down and compare it to my Ruger Americans and my MDT chassis. I haven't seen a naked CZ but the Ruger receiver is a simple circular tube with a trigger pack hung off the bottom.
Thanks for the offer, i don't have it as yet. Perhaps next time you do a strip down i could get some dimensions though? *Edit [Re-phrase;...Next time you strip your rifle down, i could get some 'specs'] :oops: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's the issue i'm having...might look about for a manual and a better idea :?:
Looking here;... http://www.czub.cz/media/attachment/fil ... cz-527.pdf
it appears the CZ is the same, but still no measurements.
:evil:

There are some Aussie manufacturers of chassis, but they're damned expensive compared to imported products. I would think a custom job would be even more expensive.
Having said that, who are the major aussie importers of chassis? or should i just check through the manufacturers site?

Mine was made with hand tools, mostly done in my lap with a hacksaw, files, drill bits and taps.

Then you sir have much more talent than I...i can use hand tools etc, just don't know what i don't know when it comes to this sort of 'tinkering'...i may be more capable than i give myself credit for, but as it's bangers we're talking about, i rather lean on the side of caution... :oops:

BENTAZ..... the tactics of bench shooting to 5-600m and bonnet/tray or 'hide' varminting....more the bench than the fur to be honest, though never say never...i just enjoy the modular/modern look of military arms, and as i can't own the real thing, it's my interpretation of same in a caliber i'll use.

I also tend to buy 'the odd one out/ugly duckling' in a lot of things...and the 'mechanics' of a crf fit the bill. I'll try and refine my search parameters...

Cheers...
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Apr 2017, 7:30 pm

PoorShot300 wrote:.243 is short action, same as .223 and .308 - is the Mini even shorter?
Understood, i was getting the .223 COAL confused with the action length, the .308 is SA... :oops:

Only in the instance while reloading of over charge, or get pointed to a cheap buy, or a buddy has surplus to shoot off...i can comfortably shoot both or either with peace of mind. I like having choices, a personal thing i guess.. :D

Yeah, i figured that out also when i went back for a second and third read on the site...seems the LSS is the only chassis they make suitable...

Thanks for the offer, i don't have it as yet. Perhaps next time you do a strip down i could get some dimensions though? *Edit [Re-phrase;...Next time you strip your rifle down, i could get some 'specs'] :oops: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's the issue i'm having...might look about for a manual and a better idea :?:
Looking here;... http://www.czub.cz/media/attachment/fil ... cz-527.pdf
it appears the CZ is the same, but still no measurements.
:evil:

Having said that, who are the major aussie importers of chassis? or should i just check through the manufacturers site?

Then you sir have much more talent than I...i can use hand tools etc, just don't know what i don't know when it comes to this sort of 'tinkering'...i may be more capable than i give myself credit for, but as it's bangers we're talking about, i rather lean on the side of caution... :oops:

BENTAZ..... the tactics of bench shooting to 5-600m and bonnet/tray or 'hide' varminting....more the bench than the fur to be honest, though never say never...i just enjoy the modular/modern look of military arms, and as i can't own the real thing, it's my interpretation of same in a caliber i'll use.

I also tend to buy 'the odd one out/ugly duckling' in a lot of things...and the 'mechanics' of a crf fit the bill. I'll try and refine my search parameters...

Cheers...

I've never seen 5.56 ammo in Oz outside of military installations, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you find a chassis that is not available in Oz try contacting Bruce at Brownells.com.au and see if he can get it for you.

The Ruger American receiver is a tube with cut outs that lock over two removable recoil lugs that fit into the stock and the receiver simply rests on those as the only contact points between the action and the stock - even the trigger pack does not contact the stock and the magazine does not contact the receiver. MDT supply two recoil lugs for their chassis. The CZ527 is similar to an old-school military action with a bottom plate. That makes it much harder to fit to a chassis, but certainly not impossible. I'm designing a bullpup chassis for the Mosin Nagant M91/30 currently which is a similar design. It is far more complicated than the Ruger and I'm bouncing several different ideas around to simplify it.

I'm sick of any rifle design of the 21st century being labelled as "military" or "tactical". They're just modern, using modern materials and modern design theory to make more effective rifles than using wood and steel. There's nothing "military" or "tactical" about them. It's become a term that some shooters use to make themselves feel superior over others instead of welcoming them as fellow shooters.
Attachments
cz_action-1.jpg
cz_action-1.jpg (93.75 KiB) Viewed 8247 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 29 Apr 2017, 9:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:I'm sick of any rifle design of the 21st century being labelled as "military" or "tactical". They're just modern, using modern materials and modern design theory to make more effective rifles than using wood and steel. There's nothing "military" or "tactical" about them. It's become a term that some shooters use to make themselves feel superior over others instead of welcoming them as fellow shooters.

I'm with you on that,...M98's one of the first 'Tactical/Sniper' platforms, but looks so benign these days... it's the 'intended' use that makes it one or the other...the cartridge knows not what it was dressed in. I'm not one to worry what others think, therefore no need to 'brag', i just likes what i likes and buy for my pleasure, same as most do... :drinks:
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2017, 4:49 am

PoorShot300 wrote:I'm thinking i will start with the Boyd's Varmint Thumbhole for now, and put the rest together as i find it...I may need them to order it in from o/s. I'll keep Brownells in mind also. I also hear Metplat can help with imports?.....Thought's??? :?:

That's a lot of good info., i will have to visit the CZUSA site and ask a few techy questions over there to get a better picture of what can or can't be done... if you don't mind, i may add your info, to see if that has been any CZ owners experience.

Are you wanting to go with the Ruger American action? I thought you were wanting a chassis for the 527?

My cursory look at the 527 I'd probably be looking at attaching only the action to the chassis, then hang the mag well off the chassis separately.

I have no experience with Meplat. They seem to be aimed at the very-high-priced niche sector. They do have experience in importing but charge horrendously for it - http://www.meplat.com.au/index.php/importing-service. I would just put in a B709 import permit yourself if you need to import anything that requires permits.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 30 Apr 2017, 1:54 pm

bladeracer wrote:Are you wanting to go with the Ruger American action? I thought you were wanting a chassis for the 527?
Correct...the Ruger reference is based if makers suited them (by extension possibly the CZ)... :D

My cursory look at the 527 I'd probably be looking at attaching only the action to the chassis, then hang the mag well off the chassis separately.
That sounds like a plan, I'll look into it and see if it's doable...yet to settle on a chassis though...

I have no experience with Meplat. They seem to be aimed at the very-high-priced niche sector. They do have experience in importing but charge horrendously for it - http://www.meplat.com.au/index.php/importing-service. I would just put in a B709 import permit yourself if you need to import anything that requires permits.

Not to repeat others ill's when it comes to importing, but i read many have issues with using 'services', and they were among those read of. If all it is, is filling in forms, i can do that. I just hoped there may have been some importers/distributors already here...

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge, i appreciate it. I will also have to put a callout up for 'smithy' recommendations in Victoria (postage and turnaround time/distance) once i'm in need of their services.

Cheers
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 30 Apr 2017, 3:04 pm

The 527 'mini-mauser' is for 223, hornets and the 204. The 308 family live in a bigger action.

Is this a chassis you are looking for for a action you currently own or one you are looking to buy?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by PoorShot300 » 30 Apr 2017, 3:26 pm

Gwion wrote:The 527 'mini-mauser' is for 223, hornets and the 204. The 308 family live in a bigger action.

Is this a chassis you are looking for for a action you currently own or one you are looking to buy?

Well that's what i was originally thinking as there is a lot written about feed limitations in the breech on the CZ SA (COAL)...it appeared to me that it was different to most push-feed actions where 'size' is concerned...thanks for verifying.

*[EDIT]...Per CZ USA..."Whether you’re after varmints, medium game or just like to punch holes in paper, our micro-Mauser 527 can do the job. Built on a .223-length action, the tiniest of our centerfire platforms is also one of the most beloved by CZ fans. Chambered in a number of cartridges from .17 Hornet and .204 Ruger up to 6.5 Grendel and 7.62×39, it’ll take everything from small game to deer'

I'm looking for a chassis suitable in fit for a 'donor' rifle/action i'm yet to purchase, but bare actions (little work) are thin on the ground.

I need to find a new home for a [NIB] .300RUM first, that i bought for a project that i have decided against, before i start this one...

Thanks for responding.

Cheers
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 30 Apr 2017, 4:20 pm

If you aren't limited by an action/barrel you already own, maybe finding the chassis you like first is the way to go and then just buying the rifle to suit is the way to go.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by PoorShot300 » 30 Apr 2017, 4:31 pm

Gwion wrote:If you aren't limited by an action/barrel you already own, maybe finding the chassis you like first is the way to go and then just buying the rifle to suit is the way to go.

That's a fair consideration were it not for the point i have taken considerable time and research to arrive at the preferred action/caliber....to change and align to your thinking, to me, is like giving up and saying i can't have what i want lol....
(ps...i'm an ornery stubborn 'ol fool :crazy: :lol: )

PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 30 Apr 2017, 4:42 pm

Hehe...

Well, get in contact with Wombat. I'm sure a custom chassis is well and truly doable but the cost might make you think twice.
Also, depending on your twist rate and what length bullets you want to shoot, you may find the mini-Mauser limiting to get the most from your rifle. I have a Zastava mini Mauser and a slightly long throat on my chamber; I find loading out to the lands is beyond what feeds well from the magazine.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2017, 5:08 pm

Gwion wrote:The 527 'mini-mauser' is for 223, hornets and the 204. The 308 family live in a bigger action.

Thanks Gwion, I'd figured the "mini" mean't more compact. It never occurred to me anybody would have built an action even shorter than the Short Action :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2017, 5:18 pm

PoorShot300 wrote:Well that's what i was originally thinking as there is a lot written about feed limitations in the breech on the CZ SA (COAL)...it appeared to me that it was different to most push-feed actions where 'size' is concerned...thanks for verifying.

*[EDIT]...Per CZ USA..."Whether you’re after varmints, medium game or just like to punch holes in paper, our micro-Mauser 527 can do the job. Built on a .223-length action, the tiniest of our centerfire platforms is also one of the most beloved by CZ fans. Chambered in a number of cartridges from .17 Hornet and .204 Ruger up to 6.5 Grendel and 7.62×39, it’ll take everything from small game to deer'

I'm looking for a chassis suitable in fit for a 'donor' rifle/action i'm yet to purchase, but bare actions (little work) are thin on the ground.

I need to find a new home for a [NIB] .300RUM first, that i bought for a project that i have decided against, before i start this one...

Thanks for responding.

Cheers

You're welcome to have a look at my Ruger Americans in their MDT LSS chassis - currently the .243 and 7mm-08 as I've put the .204 into the bullpup. I also have my Ruger American Rimfire Compact in an MDT LSS-22 chassis. And I also have two more centrefires and a rimfire chassis empty just now.

I wouldn't think you'd save much by buying just a barreled action over a complete rifle, and it doesn't hurt to have the original stock on hand for emergencies.

Coincidentally, my local dealer received a .300RUM on Friday sent down from Queensland.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 30 Apr 2017, 6:33 pm

Gwion wrote:Hehe...
Well, get in contact with Wombat.
I have now done so (email), and had thought to use him in the past for my .300RUM project, but it wasn't easy for those of us who don't do FB...sheesh. :)

I'm sure a custom chassis is well and truly doable but the cost might make you think twice.
This is becoming my reasoning, but a bloke wants what a bloke wants...:lol:
Shouldn't be a problem to get a Boyd's and check the layout for machining?? An off the rack can be as much as a few grand as well, so $$$ (to a degree) is a bit of a straw-man in this case...without checking out my options, i may be able to do it cheaper than i think as well. ;)

Also, depending on your twist rate and what length bullets you want to shoot, you may find the mini-Mauser limiting to get the most from your rifle. I have a Zastava mini Mauser and a slightly long throat on my chamber; I find loading out to the lands is beyond what feeds well from the magazine.

I.m looking to put a custom design Kreiger on it with a 1:7.7 or 1:7 for the heavier pills....preferred for 5-600m energy/accuracy loaded with home rolled recipes for that 'sweet' load.
It seems that, even though the CZ can handle the 5.56 ammo, it's not as accurate as some EU ammo, or roll your own, due to the 'jump' required and tolerance differences...trial & miss to get the 'right' load. Not that this will be an issue as they use lighter pills than i'm going for, but for the northerners that may come here, it's info. perhaps unknown.

Cheers
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 30 Apr 2017, 6:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:You're welcome to have a look at my Ruger Americans in their MDT LSS chassis - currently the .243 and 7mm-08 as I've put the .204 into the bullpup. I also have my Ruger American Rimfire Compact in an MDT LSS-22 chassis. And I also have two more centrefires and a rimfire chassis empty just now.
Thank-you for that generous offer, though i rarely get to the Big Smoke or Sth/E/W thereof either...too much fun in the bush (Nth Cen Vic or the GT as it's also known)

I wouldn't think you'd save much by buying just a barreled action over a complete rifle, and it doesn't hurt to have the original stock on hand for emergencies.
I tend to agree, and my searches have revealed only one barreled action/bare action....I am leaning towards finding a 2014 Varmint Thumbhole (1st in 1:9) and just replacing the bbl initially after having some plinking fun with it. That way, i have an OEM Boyds stock to get the measurements from, and perhaps use that info. for a chassis base at a later time. (Projects for me can last over a cpl yrs so URGENCY is not at play here....just fyi :D )

Coincidentally, my local dealer received a .300RUM on Friday sent down from Queensland.

Lovely (just my luck),...ask him if he needs a pretty sister with her own food to match it lmao... :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Cheers
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 30 Apr 2017, 6:51 pm

Hey, if cash isn't too much of an issue then go for your life and get what you want but with a 1:7 to shoot 80-90gn bullets I really think the mini-Mauser is going to be counter productive for your end goal. Sure, you will be able to single feed it but you won't get the most out of mag fed rounds. In fact, in instances where you want to go the long pills I think a 223 built on a standard short action is probably the way to go. A CZ 527 is, what: about $1500??? Then you have re-barrelling costs of about $6-800. For about that you can get a Montana short action which is based on the Win M70, a CRF action in a Rem 700 form factor. Then your choice of chassis will expand considerably and you'll have one sweet sweet rifle.

Just ideas to toss around.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2017, 7:00 pm

Gwion wrote:Hey, if cash isn't too much of an issue then go for your life and get what you want but with a 1:7 to shoot 80-90gn bullets I really think the mini-Mauser is going to be counter productive for your end goal. Sure, you will be able to single feed it but you won't get the most out of mag fed rounds. In fact, in instances where you want to go the long pills I think a 223 built on a standard short action is probably the way to go. A CZ 527 is, what: about $1500??? Then you have re-barrelling costs of about $6-800. For about that you can get a Montana short action which is based on the Win M70, a CRF action in a Rem 700 form factor. Then your choice of chassis will expand considerably and you'll have one sweet sweet rifle.

I think the 7" twist is also likely to rule out using the lighter bullets too unless you give up significant velocity.
I would agree with the Remington 700 base, the vast majority of chassis inevitably cater for the 700 receiver.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 30 Apr 2017, 7:01 pm

Bugger..... Montana don't seem to do a 223 boltface.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 30 Apr 2017, 7:06 pm

bladeracer wrote:
I think the 7" twist is also likely to rule out using the lighter bullets too unless you give up significant velocity.
I would agree with the Remington 700 base, the vast majority of chassis inevitably cater for the 700 receiver.
[/quote]

True. A 1:7 twist rate will limit you to heavier rounds as much as a 1:12 will limit you to lighter ones.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by PoorShot300 » 30 Apr 2017, 7:15 pm

Gwion wrote:Hey, if cash isn't too much of an issue then go for your life and get what you want but with a 1:7 to shoot 80-90gn bullets I really think the mini-Mauser is going to be counter productive for your end goal. Sure, you will be able to single feed it but you won't get the most out of mag fed rounds. In fact, in instances where you want to go the long pills I think a 223 built on a standard short action is probably the way to go. A CZ 527 is, what: about $1500??? Then you have re-barrelling costs of about $6-800. For about that you can get a Montana short action which is based on the Win M70, a CRF action in a Rem 700 form factor. Then your choice of chassis will expand considerably and you'll have one sweet sweet rifle.

And it is appreciated as well Gwion (and others contributing)...fresh eyes (and more informed) add value to the assessment, and like many, YES, $$$ is an issue, that's why it takes me a cpl yrs bhahahah. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regarding Montana....i hear what your saying (using 'New' buy prices, and why i'm leaning to a used 2014 model) but i am cautious where they are concerned. CZ contracted them to make a 'cast' SS mini action in 2003 for the CZ Model3...it was a Mauser based action and utilized the Win70 style 3pos safety and a three lug bolt(iirc).....it wasn't well received, and the 'finish' left much to be desired by many.

Now, i do concede there was a conflict from the beginning, and in the end, the 'marriage' didn't end well, and Montana does have it's own good reputation,...but that is a different issue.

I understand the throat/lands issue, and as a result i am basically sitting on the 1:7.7 and using the 79-82g projy's...the rifle will let me know what it likes best, lighter or heavier than anticipated, and i am also not a 'velocity' chaser, just what works best balanced in 'my' platform...(if it hits what i'm aiming at, I'm happy, the chrono could read 100fps for all my ignorance....)

I'm also a responsible hunter suiting range/ammo/target for humane hit, but this will mostly be for paper ~90%...most my 'varminting' will be with my Levers, .22 for the littluns, and the .30.30 up to goat/pigs...i don't stalk, or Deer hunt, much as i am open to try some time on the horizon...the CZ is for another side of the sport, as much as there may be better, i'm liking this little set-up for it's 'differences'... :D
Last edited by PoorShot300 on 30 Apr 2017, 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Apr 2017, 7:20 pm

PoorShot300 wrote:I.m looking to put a custom design Kreiger on it with a 1:7.7 or 1:7 for the heavier pills....preferred for 5-600m energy/accuracy loaded with home rolled recipes for that 'sweet' load.
It seems that, even though the CZ can handle the 5.56 ammo, it's not as accurate as some EU ammo, or roll your own, due to the 'jump' required and tolerance differences...trial & miss to get the 'right' load. Not that this will be an issue as they use lighter pills than i'm going for, but for the northerners that may come here, it's info. perhaps unknown.

Cheers

.223 has been shooting F-Class out to 1000yds for a long while now and I don't think most of them are using the 90gn bullets yet. I would go 8" and stay with 80gn or less. I think the tighter rates tend to chew up the lighter varmint bullets if you push them too hard.

I really can't see any benefit at all to a 5.56mm chamber.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 30 Apr 2017, 7:36 pm

bladeracer wrote:.223 has been shooting F-Class out to 1000yds for a long while now and I don't think most of them are using the 90gn bullets yet. I would go 8" and stay with 80gn or less. I think the tighter rates tend to chew up the lighter varmint bullets if you push them too hard.
I was drawn to this project from reading LR shooting forums and a shooter stretching his .223 out to a mile, and iirc his results gel with your assessment, though this was an older article perhaps before the 90's were available?....I originally was looking at the 1:8 (then saw the 7.7 & 7 twists on Kreigers site....i tend to lean to over compensation hence the change) but some 90's do better with that higher twist. I may re-evaluate that choice based on your feedback and from further 'ammo' test reading. CZ only do a 1:9 so am limited to high 70's, low 80's at best,..where 'stability' is concerned.

I really can't see any benefit at all to a 5.56mm chamber.

Fair call, i gain comfort in the higher CIP chamber rating...i hope it may never be an issue. 8-)
It was the plethora of choice that led me to the 700 for my .300 build...i just like having that little something 'uglifferent'... :wtf: :crazy:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles