Lever action recommendations

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Lever action recommendations

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Aug 2017, 5:39 pm

Get real gun and buy a single barrel. :lol:

shut stirrer .jpg
shut stirrer .jpg (3.61 KiB) Viewed 5748 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 14 Aug 2017, 12:59 am

Ruger have a lever in 44/40.May not have the grunt you are looking for but they make a good lever rifle.I had the 96/17 and the rotary magazine is great I believe it holds 3 in 44/40
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Aug 2017, 2:38 pm

Can't go wrong with Marlins or Browning Blr's.Steer clear of Henrys IMO.
:thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Supaduke » 14 Aug 2017, 5:01 pm

Why would you steer clear of Henry's? I have two, they are excellent rifles.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 14 Aug 2017, 5:07 pm

Bwahahahahha. I read that, and I thought, Supaduke in 3...2...1 and here you are. Hallerious. Remlins unite!
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 14 Aug 2017, 5:19 pm

Well there isn't thread after thread of pages complaining about Henry quality, nor is it a crapshoot buying one and hoping you get a good one. But hey Marlins are awesome, long as it's JM stamped blah blah blah....

Each to their own, Henry's are good.
Winnies are good
Marlins are sometimes good

Edit:
Fear not Henry , I shall defend thy honour against these heathen wretches.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Aug 2017, 5:55 pm

Supaduke wrote:Why would you steer clear of Henry's? I have two, they are excellent rifles.

Sorry but the Henrys now aren't the Henrys of old different manufacturers,they all eject like a limp fish, ( just fall out)and no loading gate is a waste of time shooting in Aust conditions.I know there is no bad reps,but don't you find it strange there are alot of good 2nd hand ones avalibility. Bought 2 couldn't get rid of them fast enough.
Each to his own but I would rather own a rem made marlin I could buff up than a modern henry. :idea:
Last edited by Member-Deleted on 14 Aug 2017, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member-Deleted

Post by yoshie » 14 Aug 2017, 5:57 pm

I've got an older Marlin 444s i load up the same bullets as my 44 Mag. Makes loading simpler. I would recommend Marlins, they get a bad rap about the Remlin thing, ive never seen a bad one.... Check out marlins trigger, they are a bit floopy and some people dont like them. I changed mine to a Wild West happy trigger. If you want to put a scope or dot on it they are the easiest
Last edited by yoshie on 15 Aug 2017, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by juststarting » 14 Aug 2017, 6:36 pm

---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Aug 2017, 6:45 pm

Yeah that's it a Popcorn machine ejects better than a henry....lol :D :D
Member-Deleted

Post by Supaduke » 14 Aug 2017, 6:57 pm

Maybe if you limp wristed marlin owners could work an action like a man they would eject properly. Also Henry's shoot straight, so what's in the tube is enough , no need for a top up. And I very rarely see 2nd hand Henry's, lots of marlins in near new condition. Back to you ;)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 14 Aug 2017, 7:02 pm

My wrist is not limp. Not even the left one.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Aug 2017, 7:04 pm

Fair enough I will call it a draw each too his own.
P.S Don't knock gay guys using marlins..lol...
:lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by Supaduke » 14 Aug 2017, 7:44 pm

In all seriousness I do like Marlins, would've bought a 39a if I could actually find one.

Still tossing up between a win94 and a 336 for a 30-30.

I do however standby my statement that Henry make an excellent rifle.

Accurate, beautiful fit and finish, well made , nice trigger and an action slicker than a greased eel. No need for trigger work or after market 'slicking' kits.

As a side note:
Used Henry's for sale :5, all .22's
Used Marlins : 3 pages

No second hand CF Henry's

(Drops Mike)
(Picks up mike)
HENRY LIFE!! (Flips bird, Drops mike again)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Aug 2017, 8:00 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:
Supaduke wrote:Why would you steer clear of Henry's? I have two, they are excellent rifles.

Sorry but the Henrys now aren't the Henrys of old different manufacturers,they all eject like a limp fish, ( just fall out)and no loading gate is a waste of time shooting in Aust conditions.I know there is no bad reps,but don't you find it strange there are alot of good 2nd hand ones avalibility. Bought 2 couldn't get rid of them fast enough.
Each to his own but I would rather own a rem made marlin I could buff up than a modern henry. :idea:

Yes everyone has their POV but in my experience slicker than snot or not they
are not as good as their predecessors.☺
Member-Deleted

Post by thebear » 14 Aug 2017, 9:01 pm

I have a Marlin in 450m unfortunately at the time there was not a 45/70 to be found. Luckily I purchased 100 unprimed cases, only Hornady made them and now Marlin do not make the 450M calibre any more. You will need to load it down a little bit as it does have a high recoil level.
thebear
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 14 Aug 2017, 10:03 pm

The Marlin must belt in 450 Marlin.What is it you hunt with that Monster??
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Aug 2017, 10:14 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by thebear » 08 Sep 2017, 2:05 pm

[quote="duncan61"]The Marlin must belt in 450 Marlin.What is it you hunt with that Monster??[/quote

Not much at the moment, it was bought for pigs. The recoil is fairly savage as it is an 18" barrel and a fairly light gun. My 375 H&H is not as bad.
In regard to Henrys, I have two. One in 44mag and one in 357mag, these are used for Western Action. The 44mag has been faultless, but the dramas with the 357mag were unbelievable.
I collected the 357mag from the gunship, took it home and teat loaded it with my dummy rounds. As soon as I put the feed tube in all the rounds were pushed under the bolt. Could not find the problem and took it back. It went in for warranty, but OSA the importers do not do their own warranty work but use a third party. It took three months to come back and when I went to collect it, I found the receiver had been scratched in several places and the butt had dings in it. I was not impressed, one returning home guess what, it still had the same problem.
Back to the gun shop and I told them I do not what this firearm back as it has been devalued with all the scratches and is still faulty. They got onto OSA but they were not much help. I ended up writing to Henry in the US as they state their firearms have a lifetime warranty. I received a reply very quickly and was told they would send a UPS label for me to send it back. I had to tell them that I live in Australia not the US and we would have to find another way. I then wrote to the owner of Henry and they offered to repair or replace. As the gun had been damaged by OSA's repairer I told them to replace it. Three months later I received a new Henry that has been faultless. The interesting thing about this particular firearm is the calibre loading. My Western Action Marlin is 38/357mag,however the Henry is 357mag/38. It does not like 38spl.
As for lever actions I have four Marlins, three Henrys, two Uberti's and a 1887 lever shotgun. I do like lever actions
thebear
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by burek » 08 Sep 2017, 2:44 pm

I'm also pondering a lever action rifle but the more I read they all sound like a big pain in the ass, gamble :(
burek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2017, 3:08 pm

burek wrote:I'm also pondering a lever action rifle but the more I read they all sound like a big pain in the ass, gamble :(

I am not fond of levers. I don't hate them, but I don't like them either.
But as my brother likes them (in theory) I am considering getting a few just for kicks :-)
Thinking of a .22LR for sure (I quite like the Henry Youth - 16" barrel, under 2kg), and a couple of pistol calibers (.357 mag, .44/40 and .44 Mag), and a 45/70 should be sufficient I think.
Haven't started looking too hard just yet, but I will be.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 08 Sep 2017, 4:36 pm

I like my Henry's.

45-70 is a ton of fun

.22 has done several thousand rounds with no issues. Eats anything you feed it.

20170829_121649.jpg
Colour case 45/70 and Frontier .22
20170829_121649.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 4899 times
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2017, 5:30 pm

Supaduke wrote:I like my Henry's.

45-70 is a ton of fun

.22 has done several thousand rounds with no issues. Eats anything you feed it.

20170829_121649.jpg

I know there's some variety available in the rimfire and pistol calibers, but is there much choice in the .45/70 levers?
I know Marlin and Henry.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 08 Sep 2017, 6:21 pm

Off the top of my head

Chiappa
Rossi
Winchester
Pedersoli
Henry
Marlin
Uberti

All make a 45-70 Lever

And if you have money to burn , Big Horn Armoury make some pretty sexy stuff
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2017, 6:38 pm

Supaduke wrote:Off the top of my head

Chiappa
Rossi
Winchester
Pedersoli
Henry
Marlin
Uberti

All make a 45-70 Lever

And if you have money to burn , Big Horn Armoury make some pretty sexy stuff

Nope, no money to burn and no serious usage for them, they're just for giggles :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 08 Sep 2017, 6:47 pm

Plenty of giggles to be had with a 45-70, load Trailboss for gentle loads a 12 year old could shoot properly, load up some hot loads that will rattle your teeth. Everything in between , so versatile.
Everytime I hold a round it puts a smile on my face, massive. The drainpipe barrel, gold. Watching people shoot a hot load for the first time, priceless.
It's sort of reminds me of a souped up hotrod. Not particularly practical, many things do the job better, but God damn they are cool and fun to play with.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Sep 2017, 7:27 pm

burek wrote:I'm also pondering a lever action rifle but the more I read they all sound like a big pain in the ass, gamble :(

Does that go for the Brownings and Japanese Winchesters too? FWIW, I agree about them being a gamble. To get around it, I think you would have to speak to the gunshop owner about your concerns. If he/she listens, tell them you will pay for a function test before paying the full price.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by burek » 11 Sep 2017, 3:08 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:

Does that go for the Brownings and Japanese Winchesters too? FWIW, I agree about them being a gamble. To get around it, I think you would have to speak to the gunshop owner about your concerns. If he/she listens, tell them you will pay for a function test before paying the full price.

Not fan of the high gloss on the BLR. Am curious about the Henry Long Ranger though. No where to see one in flesh in SE QLD, as far as I know. Not even that place in Margate ;) . Main interest is in Marlin 1894C in 357 which brings me to my gamble comment :D
burek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 11 Sep 2017, 6:39 pm

burek wrote:Not fan of the high gloss on the BLR. Am curious about the Henry Long Ranger though. No where to see one in flesh in SE QLD, as far as I know. Not even that place in Margate ;) . Main interest is in Marlin 1894C in 357 which brings me to my gamble comment :D

What part do you think is the gamble? Functionality or accuracy? (Or something else?)
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by burek » 11 Sep 2017, 9:02 pm

in2anity wrote:
burek wrote:Not fan of the high gloss on the BLR. Am curious about the Henry Long Ranger though. No where to see one in flesh in SE QLD, as far as I know. Not even that place in Margate ;) . Main interest is in Marlin 1894C in 357 which brings me to my gamble comment :D

What part do you think is the gamble? Functionality or accuracy? (Or something else?)

From what I gather, they shoot well, and this I guess is most important.

I just hate the idea of rough as guts finishes (external and internal) and nasty triggers I hear about and having to sink more $$$ and effort into something that was supposed to be complete. And they ship this "complete" product with a serious face on, that's all :D
burek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles