Which new calibre?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Which new calibre?

Post by bladeracer » 04 May 2017, 6:10 pm

Oldbloke wrote:What do we think now, money is tight, should I lash out?

If money is tight then I would go with reduced loads in the '06.
And try some cast lead - it hits pretty hard.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 04 May 2017, 6:39 pm

If funds are tight, sell the second 30-06 and buy that 260rem..... You know you want to! :D
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 04 May 2017, 6:43 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Gwion wrote:Get your spare 30-06 rebarrelled to a 6.5mm of some description, for instance a 260rem... or a 6.5creedmore (very similar ballistics to 260rem), or, if you really want to boot some 6.5mm bullets out the end of it, go a 6.5/284! :thumbsup: Hell, lets go nuts and order a reemer in 6.5x284shehane..... :lol: :drinks:

Feels like you violated my mind as I was thinking to suggest exactly that same pair. I like to have multiple firearms in the same caliber, since I have a 6.5-300 sitting in customs I have been considering another 6.5 and the 260 and Creedmore are top of the list with the 260 a pubic hair in front. The Sako distributer has a 85 Varmint laminated S/S 260 in stock, I have a PTA in the mail so I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on the 260.

Yeah... I'll just st slip out and buy another couple of Sakos..... Bastard! :P **not jealous at all, really!** :sarcasm: :cry:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 05 May 2017, 10:58 am

bladeracer wrote:

If tight then put the money toward more practical endeavors, and jam some light grenades in the '06... what the lightest, say 110gr, they should move! Perhaps even some 30cal pistol rounds...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 05 May 2017, 6:58 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

If tight then put the money toward more practical endeavors, and jam some light grenades in the '06... what the lightest, say 110gr, they should move! Perhaps even some 30cal pistol rounds...

Yep this is what I have decided. (at least in the interim,) In reality it will not get a hell of a lot of use. Should be fine for dogs, goats etc performing better than 55 or 180 grain projectiles and lighter recoil than the deer loads. More oomph than the 223 giving me an additional option. But might shop around for a more suitable scope. Probably a 3-9x40.

Hopefully someone will recommend a projectile around 125 gr?

Thanks for the input gents.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by KennyA » 05 May 2017, 8:08 pm

6.5 creedmoor......
New and exciting cartridge
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 May 2017, 9:13 pm

I'd be running lighter projies in ya 30-06 if it was mine, can't see the sense in buying a diff cal when the one you have will do the job with a simple change in projie weight and maybe a reduced load to suit if needed.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 05 May 2017, 9:18 pm

BFS, that's what I have decided. Research seems to indicate the 110gr projectiles suffer from poor accuracy but 125+ seem to shoot well. Sooo, starting to look around for reasonably priced projectiles and a scope. No rush so will shop around.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 05 May 2017, 9:24 pm

Oldbloke wrote:BFS, that's what I have decided. Research seems to indicate the 110gr projectiles suffer from poor accuracy but 125+ seem to shoot well. Sooo, starting to look around for reasonably priced projectiles and a scope. No rush so will shop around.

Sounds like a good idea to me mate - it will tune up any of the stuff you were thinking of running it on. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles