Which new calibre?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Which new calibre?

Post by Oldbloke » 02 May 2017, 8:47 pm

Sooo, I currently own a 223 and 3006 x 2. I'd like to fill in the gap for perhaps the odd Fallow deer & dogs and I guess goats or pigs given the opportunity. I don't get out a lot but as I'm getting closer to retirement I figure if I'm going to get one, now is the time if the price is right.

I'm thinking about looking at 243, 7x57 & 7-08. (unless someone has a better suggestion, and I'm sure a few will. :lol:)

They are all popular rounds & as I reload all my ammo are the 6mm or 7mm projectiles or the cases significantly different in price?

Now I don't really need this rifle as I have a spare 3006. (the other is loaded with 180 gr projectiles for deer) I could load it up with 130 grain projectiles & it's already fitted with a 4x40 scope ( perhaps up grade the scope) that I figure would do the job OK.

What do you blokes think? What would you do? Use the 3006 or buy a rifle, if so what calibre?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Which new calibre?

Post by Bent Arrow » 02 May 2017, 9:10 pm

25-06. Fast flat, and pretty much in the middle of what you've already got. Neck down your 30-06 cases.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by AusTac » 02 May 2017, 9:15 pm

I think you need a .303
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Mick280 » 02 May 2017, 9:16 pm

A nice little .243 running 80 - 90 gn pills would fill your gap nicely I reckon!!
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 02 May 2017, 9:33 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:25-06. Fast flat, and pretty much in the middle of what you've already got. Neck down your 30-06 cases.

Mmmmmm, hadn't thought along that line. Worth thinking about.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 02 May 2017, 9:40 pm

AusTac wrote:I think you need a .303

I second this motion. :drinks:
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mick280 » 02 May 2017, 9:40 pm

Vanguard S2 in .257 WBY!!
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 02 May 2017, 10:04 pm

Gun-nut wrote:
AusTac wrote:I think you need a .303

I second this motion. :drinks:

I new some bugger would suggest a 303. :D
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 02 May 2017, 10:08 pm

44 mag lever action
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Oldbloke » 02 May 2017, 10:26 pm

6.5 x 55 sounds like a contender. But I don't recall seeing it often in modern bolt actions.
Do howa market one?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 02 May 2017, 10:49 pm

308. End of story.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 May 2017, 10:59 pm

juststarting wrote:308. End of story.

Silly boy. I have a 3006, a man's gun. Not a boys. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 02 May 2017, 11:05 pm

It hurts so deep.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 03 May 2017, 12:02 am

The 7-08 will do anything the 7x57 will do and will work in a short action. 243 will give less recoil, the 7-08 heavier bullets. You could split the difference and go for the 260 Remington.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 03 May 2017, 12:02 am

Have to agree, quarter bore..... 25/06 would be handy, especially necking down 30/06.... or a 257 Roberts...love em both....
257 wetherby mag are good but noisy and expensive to run in my opinion....but jeeezzzzzzz they reach out..

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 May 2017, 1:29 am

Oldbloke wrote:Sooo, I currently own a 223 and 3006 x 2. I'd like to fill in the gap for perhaps the odd Fallow deer & dogs and I guess goats or pigs given the opportunity. I don't get out a lot but as I'm getting closer to retirement I figure if I'm going to get one, now is the time if the price is right.

I'm thinking about looking at 243, 7x57 & 7-08. (unless someone has a better suggestion, and I'm sure a few will. :lol:)

They are all popular rounds & as I reload all my ammo are the 6mm or 7mm projectiles or the cases significantly different in price?

Now I don't really need this rifle as I have a spare 3006. (the other is loaded with 180 gr projectiles for deer) I could load it up with 130 grain projectiles & it's already fitted with a 4x40 scope ( perhaps up grade the scope) that I figure would do the job OK.

What do you blokes think? What would you do? Use the 3006 or buy a rifle, if so what calibre?

I'm loading .243 and 7mm-08, 7mm can be a little more expensive, but I wouldn't say it's significant. Hornady used to do a .243 ZMax that was very cheap (about $150 for 500) but I emailed them and those have been stopped indefinitely. So I have a mould arriving this week to play with cast bullets for light plinking fun loads instead :-)

You could load the '06 down for smaller game, even with cast lead, but you're still stuck with the long action.
I'd go 7mm-08, .243 isn't a big enough step up on .223 and still falls short of .30-calibers. I like more overlap between calibers.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mitch » 03 May 2017, 5:33 am

I'd be looking to 6.5 cal.

Tikka/sako still make rifles in 6.5x55

otherwise im a fan and own a 260rem and love it.
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tom Foolery » 03 May 2017, 6:18 am

25-06 for mine.
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by vmaxaust » 03 May 2017, 6:23 am

Oldbloke wrote:Sooo, I currently own a 223 and 3006 x 2. I'd like to fill in the gap for perhaps the odd Fallow deer & dogs and I guess goats or pigs given the opportunity. I don't get out a lot but as I'm getting closer to retirement I figure if I'm going to get one, now is the time if the price is right.

Given your criteria I would look at 300 Blackout. I know many people don't like this calibre but frankly if you are a reloader it is very practical and a great middle of the road between 223 and your 30 06. You can cut down 223 cases and use a 135gr 308 projectile with fast burning AR2205 (17.5gr) they work extremely well for me. I use this formula in a Ruger American Ranch rifle (16" barrel) and a Holosun red dot. Despite what all the ballistics say, I have no trouble getting accuracy sufficient for what you are looking to use a mid range calibre for.

I'm not talking fully scoped bench target shooting here. Just a good all round "powerful enough" round that's reasonable in cost to reload.
The photo was taken last Sunday at Little River...at 50 metres, using a bipod, Holosun red dot. I was there to zero in the Holosun. Was using the ammo I described above. This group of a dozen shots is just over 2" and I'm pretty blind. A good aimer could do better for sure. So, at 100 metres even a spread of 4" would be very easy to achieve. I don't think too many dogs or other pests would be getting away. In fact the Holosun allows one to acquire a target very quickly without parallax problems and with both eyes open.

Just a thought. I know many will not agree but each to his own.

Sam
Attachments
20170503_060444.jpg
20170503_060444.jpg (325.26 KiB) Viewed 5283 times
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mitch » 03 May 2017, 8:57 am

vmaxaust wrote:

Given your criteria I would look at 300 Blackout. I know many people don't like this calibre but frankly if you are a reloader it is very practical and a great middle of the road between 223 and your 30 06. You can cut down 223 cases and use a 135gr 308 projectile with fast burning AR2205 (17.5gr) they work extremely well for me. I use this formula in a Ruger American Ranch rifle (16" barrel) and a Holosun red dot. Despite what all the ballistics say, I have no trouble getting accuracy sufficient for what you are looking to use a mid range calibre for.

I'm not talking fully scoped bench target shooting here. Just a good all round "powerful enough" round that's reasonable in cost to reload.
The photo was taken last Sunday at Little River...at 50 metres, using a bipod, Holosun red dot. I was there to zero in the Holosun. Was using the ammo I described above. This group of a dozen shots is just over 2" and I'm pretty blind. A good aimer could do better for sure. So, at 100 metres even a spread of 4" would be very easy to achieve. I don't think too many dogs or other pests would be getting away. In fact the Holosun allows one to acquire a target very quickly without parallax problems and with both eyes open.

Just a thought. I know many will not agree but each to his own.

Sam

Blackouts are great, i love mine. I get superb accuracy out to 400m, not that i would shoot to kill at that distance.

Mine shoots 5 shot in 1 ragged hole at 100m
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 03 May 2017, 9:48 am

Lot of options there.
Has anyone had experience in loading a 3006 with 110 or 130 grain projectiles? Are they generally fairly accurate? I don't recall the twist rate.
I can live with the long action and would make use of my currently retired Winchester M70
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 03 May 2017, 10:09 am

Get your spare 30-06 rebarrelled to a 6.5mm of some description, for instance a 260rem... or a 6.5creedmore (very similar ballistics to 260rem), or, if you really want to boot some 6.5mm bullets out the end of it, go a 6.5/284! :thumbsup: Hell, lets go nuts and order a reemer in 6.5x284shehane..... :lol: :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Mick280 » 03 May 2017, 10:59 am

.280 Rem!!
Could also make use of your 3006 cases if you don't mind sticking with the long action!!
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 03 May 2017, 1:37 pm

For a hunting rifle to fill that gap Oldbloke, I'd recommend .257 Roberts. Will work well in that M70 action with a new barrel. Go 1 in 10" twist. Covers all bases from 75gr varmint loads up to 120gr heavy loads for your pigs, dogs and deer. .25 cal pills are a lot cheaper than 7mm and there is a pretty good range suited to hunting. 100 grainers @ 3200f/s were my go to all rounder, never found anything they wouldn't drop out to 400+m. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by TheDude » 03 May 2017, 5:59 pm

Oldbloke wrote:6.5 x 55 sounds like a contender. But I don't recall seeing it often in modern bolt actions.
Do howa market one?

Yep howa do them. Tikka I'm pretty sure due them too.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 May 2017, 6:04 pm

TheDude wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:6.5 x 55 sounds like a contender. But I don't recall seeing it often in modern bolt actions.
Do howa market one?

Yep howa do them. Tikka I'm pretty sure due them too.

Same performance as 6.5mm Creedmoor which is likely to be better supported outside of the milsurps.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 03 May 2017, 6:24 pm

Gwion wrote:Get your spare 30-06 rebarrelled to a 6.5mm of some description, for instance a 260rem... or a 6.5creedmore (very similar ballistics to 260rem), or, if you really want to boot some 6.5mm bullets out the end of it, go a 6.5/284! :thumbsup: Hell, lets go nuts and order a reemer in 6.5x284shehane..... :lol: :drinks:

Feels like you violated my mind as I was thinking to suggest exactly that same pair. I like to have multiple firearms in the same caliber, since I have a 6.5-300 sitting in customs I have been considering another 6.5 and the 260 and Creedmore are top of the list with the 260 a pubic hair in front. The Sako distributer has a 85 Varmint laminated S/S 260 in stock, I have a PTA in the mail so I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on the 260.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 04 May 2017, 11:05 am

What a silly question.... do you NEED another gun??...... of course you do... you mightnt know it, but you always need another....

I have a similar gap, the selection is top heavy, only got a 223(actually the wife's) and nothing less than 30cal (as far as I recall anyway)..... so I'm leaning to 243win, the performance and projectile selection looks the goods.... I've thought a 25-06, perhaps a 260Rem...... but circle back to the 243.... anything bigger than that and its getting close to 308win territory.....else a faster 30.....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 04 May 2017, 2:23 pm

Soooo, to day I looked more seriously at comparing some calibres by making use of the Hornady ballistic calculator. I have indicated the energy under the charts for 250 yards.I have also included my two current loads for the 223 55gr & 3006 180gr deer load. I have included:

243 87gr 3100 fps
7x57 120gr 3100 fps (close enough to 7/08)
3006 130gr 3100 fps

Notice the bullet drop at 250 yards all of the above 3 are between 4.8" and 5.2" (I figure 200 to 250 yards is as far as I will shoot in field conditions)

Keeping in mind this is intended for dogs, fallow deer, goats, perhaps pigs. My current 223 would be a little under gunned for these and my Sambar deer load using 180gr may be inclined to "whistle" through dogs or goats. So I'm looking for a compromise/middle load. I'm beginning to think the 130gr load for the spare 3006 is making more sense. Almost no cost but might be OK for dogs & goats. My research leads me to believe the 110gr projectiles generally result in very poor accuracy but the 130's are usually OK. What do we think now, money is tight, should I lash out?

Comparison.JPG
Comparison.JPG (94.56 KiB) Viewed 5198 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tom Foolery » 04 May 2017, 4:35 pm

Mate loads 125gn Accubonds in his 308. They work extremely well on smaller goats through fallow to larger pigs. No accuracy problems, although a bit pricey compared to the Sierras etc.

I can't see why they'd be any less effective in a man's gun like the 30-06. :mrgreen:
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles