Educate please - collectors licence (VIC)

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Educate please - collectors licence (VIC)

Post by cracker » 03 May 2017, 10:20 pm

so basically if you wanted to own a Fn/browning sa22 - older semi auto 22lr rifle, youd have to be a member for at least two years before youd be considered?
same deal im guessing on a browning auto 5,id honestly just love to own either or both because of the history of the guy who designed them, hand guns not really being my thing...
any suggestions on what clubs ?
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 04 May 2017, 6:31 pm

G'day All,
Just want to make a couple of points, bars are not needed throughout, only on the room where you store the collectors items. To mitigate the appearance I fitted mine inside the window glass, not too bad. All Cat D held on the licence must be completely welded, bore, action, trigger group etc. Might as well carve an SLR out of soap. You need to be an active member for 6 months to get the club to endorse your licence application for Cat 1, and you can collect ALL longarms on that licence from the start, and PRE 47 handguns. You need to have the licence for 2 years minimum, as well as own 10 pre-47, before applying for Cat 2. You CANNOT USE any firearm on the licence other than specified events that a Permit has been issued for, and if a Club Permit is issued, you cannot then get an individual permit for that event, ie: you are on the club permit or you don't shoot. Most clubs, my own included, require you to complete a handgun safety course before allowing you to use handguns on the club events. YOU CANNOT COLLECT AMMO!!!! I put that in capitals because some people are not aware of it and have gotten into trouble, big time.
juststarting - it is done to discourage you, F**K 'EM! Do it anyway, don't let them think it's working their way.
cracker - SSAA Military Rifle Club have a Collectors component, but you must be MRC for 6 months first.
- 3MD Pistol Club have a Collectors also, not sure of their requiements
- SSAA Arms & Militaria Collectors Club, probably easiest
- Antique Arms Collectors Guild of Victoria, biggest and best.
- Golden City Collectors, Bendigo
- Northern Victorian Arms Collectors, Shepparton,
The Australian Antique Arms Auction is on this weekend, in Bulleen this time. You can find collectors info there, and me, and poverty! Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 May 2017, 6:40 pm

No1Mk3 wrote: All Cat D held on the licence must be completely welded, bore, action, trigger group etc. Might as well carve an SLR out of soap.

http://www.platatac.com/catalogue/weapons.html?dir=desc&limit=100&order=price

Blue Guns are cheaper, no licence required, can be displayed, can even let unlicenced friends handle them.
Still not an actual firearm though :-(
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 04 May 2017, 6:49 pm

bladeracer wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote: All Cat D held on the licence must be completely welded, bore, action, trigger group etc. Might as well carve an SLR out of soap.

http://www.platatac.com/catalogue/weapons.html?dir=desc&limit=100&order=price

Blue Guns are cheaper, no licence required, can be displayed, can even let unlicenced friends handle them.
Still not an actual firearm though :-(

$400!!!???!!! For piece of plastic moulded to the shap of a gun???

For the same price I can but a piece of plastic moulded to the shape of a kayak and actually use it as a kayak !

Or, a bolt action rifle that I can actually shoot; ok, not a very good one but a functioning rifle nonetheless.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 04 May 2017, 7:23 pm

Gwion wrote:$400!!!???!!! For piece of plastic moulded to the shap of a gun???

For the same price I can but a piece of plastic moulded to the shape of a kayak and actually use it as a kayak !

Or, a bolt action rifle that I can actually shoot; ok, not a very good one but a functioning rifle nonetheless.

I was referencing to No1Mk3's comment about carving them out of soap :-)
And you can buy lots of very good rifles for a few hundred dollars, even brand new ones.

Have you seen the price of replica firearms these days?
https://www.collectorsarmoury.com.au/collections/replica-rifles

$475 for a coach gun??????
$695 for a K98 or No1Mk3????
Pistols aren't as bad but still ridiculous at $300-400 for things like 1911's and Hi-Power's.

These aren't deactivated real firearms, these are made from pot metal.
And (except for WA and Qld) require the same licence and security as if they were real functioning firearms.
As you also need "genuine reason" to own them, unless you're a theatrical armourer, it is actually easier to own the real firearms, in Victoria at least.

I would get a collector's licence if I could actual enjoy the firearms, but not if I can't do anything but fondle them on the occasions I remember that I own them and go looking for them in the back of the safes.

Is there any reason you need a collector's licence rather than a firearms licence? What advantage is there to having your firearms on a collector's licence when you can't use them?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 04 May 2017, 8:03 pm

Far as I could work out, it's so you can own pistols without range attendance requirements. Collectible, milsurp and police issue pistols being the main sort after so those falling under cat 1.

World War Two and earlier provided a wealth of interesting and unique pistols. It was a time of great innovation and design. Pistol design after the Second World War rapidly declined with battle proven designs become standard (looking at you 1911). A 1950's 1911 is pretty much the same pistol as made today. Pre 47 pistols have genuine historical significance.
These pistols, being old and probably valuable, people want to own them but don't want to shoot them with any sort of regularity. They may not want to shoot them at all. The collectors license allows people to do this.

If you want to own and shoot your pistol regularly, get a regular pistol license. You will then be subject to range attendance requirements.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 May 2017, 8:27 pm

Supaduke wrote:Far as I could work out, it's so you can own pistols without range attendance requirements. Collectible, milsurp and police issue pistols being the main sort after so those falling under cat 1.

World War Two and earlier provided a wealth of interesting and unique pistols. It was a time of great innovation and design. Pistol design after the Second World War rapidly declined with battle proven designs become standard (looking at you 1911). A 1950's 1911 is pretty much the same pistol as made today. Pre 47 pistols have genuine historical significance.
These pistols, being old and probably valuable, people want to own them but don't want to shoot them with any sort of regularity. They may not want to shoot them at all. The collectors license allows people to do this.

If you want to own and shoot your pistol regularly, get a regular pistol license. You will then be subject to range attendance requirements.

Thanks Supa.
I still wouldn't go that way myself. If I was going to own some old pistols I'd shoot them, so attendance wouldn't be a problem for me. I can certainly see value in owning a non-shootable collector's piece, but there's no legal requirement to shoot every pistol you own on a Cat H licence is there?
I've mostly seen it offered as a way to own "normal" firearms that are currently illegal, like 10/22's and such, despite not being able to use them. Not my thing but I'm sure others must find it acceptable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8SNosXHZrg&t=53s&list=PLXE635BIlN2-J7ny5BzmiEJCkZQwocz_T&index=12
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 04 May 2017, 8:54 pm

nvm...already covered.
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 04 May 2017, 9:09 pm

Yes you can own pistols you don't shoot, but you are still required to attend the range. Also people may only want to own one or two pistols. Lot of dedication required to maintain a pistol license.

Yes it is a way to own some hardware you couldn't get on a normal A,B or H license, such as shorter barrelled pistols and Cat C/D stuff. It is set up the way it is to avoid it being used as a loophole to acquire restricted stuff.

For genuine collectors it works as intended. You acquire your collection over a period of years. Like most things in life, it is simply set up with the tiered categories because if it was too quick and easy people would abuse the system. It weeds out people looking for a workaround for current categories. Those committed to the hobby would not have much trouble complying with the rules.

It may seem dumb and convoluted but it's sadly our own fault. They want to maintain the ability for people to collect important and historical firearms, but avoid it being exploited by those attempting to cheat the system.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles