Howa 1500 "Slow feed" issue

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Howa 1500 "Slow feed" issue

Post by FlyingStick » 09 May 2017, 4:23 pm

They are live. I've taken out the firing pin to be safe.

I'm 100% conviced it's the lips on the action. I actually tried the other bottom metal I had that was replaced, and even with the spring adjusted as to not provide much upward tension. Same problem.

Given my theory that it's the lips of the action, I'm quite confident a magazine upgrade would remedy the issue. However I feel that is simply masking the problem and I quite like the simplicity of the floor panel design.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 09 May 2017, 4:30 pm

Oldbloke wrote:You are entitled to have it repaired, no question in my mind. Sounds like the LGS fobbed you off. OSA too.
Go back to where you bought, pick a busy time and complain about it in front of other customers. Don't argue but speak up. Speak your mind. Mention consumer law. Might get a better result.

Or if you know someone with an identical rifle dissemble both side by side and see what is different. Might spot the problem, could be a simple fix.

I hate bussineses that refuse to stand by their product.. Its like selling you a bucket with a hole in it. If they did that to me I would go elsewhere in future and bag the s**t out of them at every opportunity. Sell you a $700 item worth $250, next to useless like it is.

My plan is to return on the weekend and return the rifle. I'm also going to ask them to show me another Howa and prove that it suffers from the same "design flaw".

I really hate these situations. I don't want to make a fuss however at the same time I feel like I'm getting the big f$&k you... this may well be my last dealing with this joint. I actually drive past two gun shops (one is 5 mins away!) to get to this place!!!
Last edited by FlyingStick on 09 May 2017, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 May 2017, 4:31 pm

I would not be inclined to modify it with a magazine, would effect the warranty.

Anyway can't lose an internal magazine.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 09 May 2017, 4:34 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I would not be inclined to modify it with a magazine, would effect the warranty.

Anyway can't lose an internal magazine.

They're a drop in kit. But yes. Agreed. I'd prefer the internal mag.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 May 2017, 4:37 pm

After looking at the video again, you could be right. Getting fouled on the ramp as it enters the chamber.
Solution, remove sharp edges?
Again, compare with another howa.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 09 May 2017, 4:39 pm

Oldbloke wrote:After looking at the video again, you could be right. Getting fouled on the ramp as it enters the chamber.
Solution, remove sharp edges?
Again, compare with another howa.

My thoughts are they've taken too much off it. So as the round travels I front of the bolt it's popping up too early where there is more tension on the ramp.

It's something on the right for sure. I can load a round from the left of the stack as slooowly as I'd like. The right. No.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 09 May 2017, 4:43 pm

This video shows it best: https://youtu.be/YC5Z9Xv_yv4
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 May 2017, 8:35 am

Just remembered. Vic consumer affairs has template letters on their web site. Perhaps send one to all 3 players.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 10 May 2017, 2:19 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Just remembered. Vic consumer affairs has template letters on their web site. Perhaps send one to all 3 players.

Thanks mate, assume you are referring to: https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/library ... mplate.doc ?

I'm going to visit the dealer, again, either tomorrow or Saturday and ask for them to return the rifle for a warranty assessment (as asked by the fellow at OSA)

That said, given I've spoken to someone at OSA already, and their assessment was "it looks ok", I don't hold much hope. I'm hoping that when they have it in their hands they will see the problem as in their defense at times it can be hard to diagnose issues via video and words (although those videos in my eyes should have been evidence enough!). Regardless - I will do the right thing and follow the process.

A great bloke from the Australian Howa facebook group was kind enough to send me a video of him slow and fast feeding his Howa without a hint of issue, I plan on using this at the shop although I'm predicting they will come up with some other excuse. He even offered to come in and make a fuss with me (which for now I will not accept), sometimes you just get lucky and meet legendary people!

Let's see how we go. I'm still baffled lol, I had just assumed one look at that video or the rifle in person would have been evidence enough...wrong! I've been nothing but polite and calm in all my dealings with everyone, to which I think they are also taking advantage of.

All else fails, I will write the letter and send away, just annoys me that I need to waste all this time and energy.

Wish me luck guys! Was meant to get out next week and try and get my first fox, can't see that happening!

Cheers!
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by superdave » 10 May 2017, 3:46 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
superdave wrote:I got the aftermarket 10 rd mag for mine and found that the 9th (i think) round does give problems when slow fed.

Usually helps to cycle it fast. There seems to be something about actions in general that make them prone to having problems if worked too slowly.
Some semi's tend to jam if cycled by hand, but work well if they are let cycle fast as designed.

BS. All my bolt actions and all I have owned feed at any speed, as they should. If they don't it's faulty.

I will say that to feed at any speed is the way it should be.

I have however found on occasion that bullets jump very slightly/ pitch up out of the magazine when slow fed, resulting in a misfeed.

Feeding a bolt action fast is to work around a problem, not to solve it.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 10 May 2017, 8:33 pm

All my bolt actions and all I have owned feed at any speed, as they should. Sould be 100% If they don't it's faulty.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by POD89 » 10 May 2017, 9:58 pm

my howa .223 has the same issue.
i removed my internal mag and replaced with the 10 shot detachable.
but i ended up returning to the original due to preference.
for the life of me i can not get it to load from the internal magazine.
But i can nearly guarantee it is user error. i must of put it in wrong... or am loading it wrong??
I have a stock sock that holds about 6 rounds
i load 1 at a time as i need now.
i kind of like it though.
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes..."
POD89
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 11 May 2017, 6:07 am

"I have a stock sock that holds about 6 rounds
i kind of like it though."

That is just bulls**t. Starting to sound like a design fault. Incredible in this day and age. I would never accept that. Glad I bought a couple of marlins.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 11 May 2017, 8:49 am

POD89 wrote:my howa .223 has the same issue.
But i can nearly guarantee it is user error. i must of put it in wrong... or am loading it wrong??

Hey POD89 - based on my understanding it should be assembled as follows: https://ibb.co/kHy5mQ

Cheers.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 11 May 2017, 9:07 am

FlyingStick wrote:
POD89 wrote:my howa .223 has the same issue.

Hey POD89 - based on my understanding it should be assembled as follows: https://ibb.co/kHy5mQ

Cheers.

If you aren't getting traction locally, you should just keep working up the supply chain.

I would contact Howa directly with this issue, including the videos. A polite email explaining the issue and the difficulty you are having gaining a solution from the supplier and retail outlet. Having worked in outdoor adventure retail and wholesale sales, this is my best advice. You may be very pleasantly surprised how accommodating the manufacturers can be as they know you have a choice of brands and will not buy another of their products if they don't keep you happy. Unfortunately, it seems the local retailers and wholesalers do not have such a vested interest as they may figure you will buy another brand that they stock. Only an assumption but very poor business sence. As the adage goes, "a happy customer might tell 1-3 people but an unhappy customer will tell 10".

When you contact Howa, be sure to politely emphasise that you have exhausted all avenues with both retailer and supplier and are on the verge of returning the rifle and going with another brand but are happy to stick with Howa if this is resolved.

In all fairness, this may be an existing problem with a certain batch that the manufacturer has no idea about due to employing a poor agent to represent them.

There is no question in my mind that this rifle should be feeding smoothly at any cycle rate.

When you asked on the "Howa Forum", how many people confirmed the same issue? There have already been 2-3 others confirm the issue on this thread. This is also worth mentioning in your email to Howa. This has the potential to significantly damage their reputation and sales so is in their interest to address directly.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by FlyingStick » 11 May 2017, 6:53 pm

I just dropped her off for a warranty claim. Fingers crossed I get a good result now.

And thanks Gwion. Not ignoring your advise at all, as it's good advice, however I'm going to wait on what the official word from OSA is (I assume it's going to OSA) and will then go from there. I'm really hoping I don't need to use it though!

All responses from my post in the Howa Facebook page indicated this isn't normal for a Howa. Maybe 1 or 2 mentioned a few issues however the vast majority don't have this problem.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 11 May 2017, 7:55 pm

Well, good luck with it. I hope you get a resolution.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Medic » 11 May 2017, 9:05 pm

This is a known issue- see the video on Aussie Reviews.

Best bet is a single stack mag like the MDT chassis. Even then my feed can be kind of sketchy and though it shoots straight and kills well I'm not a fan of the action. Compared to my Browning Abolt 3 it's chalk and cheese
Medic
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by FlyingStick » 11 May 2017, 10:15 pm

Medic wrote:This is a known issue- see the video on Aussie Reviews.

Best bet is a single stack mag like the MDT chassis. Even then my feed can be kind of sketchy and though it shoots straight and kills well I'm not a fan of the action. Compared to my Browning Abolt 3 it's chalk and cheese

Yep, seen that and actually spoken to him also and anew mag fixed the problem.

I may end up going the mag route if I give up the battle - for now I'd like to see if they can fix th floor plate though.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by PoorShot300 » 11 May 2017, 10:31 pm

Flying Stick... in the least, by accepting the firearm for 'processing', the LGS now accepted it IS an issue...

So i'd say you've had a win...let's hope it continues in this vane... ;)
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by scaredyet » 12 May 2017, 6:12 am

Ozzie reviews had a problem feeding with the How's mini action .223 after changing the magazine everything was sweet

https://youtu.be/3CmQypK8eBo
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by FlyingStick » 12 May 2017, 7:28 am

scaredyet wrote:Ozzie reviews had a problem feeding with the How's mini action .223 after changing the magazine everything was sweet

https://youtu.be/3CmQypK8eBo

Yep. However mine is an internal mag and has been replaced.

This is where I think the issue on mine is, however I am no expert so could be wrong!

https://ibb.co/cAV2GQ

Funnily enough, in Ozzies example it was the feeding lips on the mag (not the action like mine) that was the cause of the issue.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 12 May 2017, 7:45 am

PoorShot300 wrote:Flying Stick... in the least, by accepting the firearm for 'processing', the LGS now accepted it IS an issue...

So i'd say you've had a win...let's hope it continues in this vane... ;)

I hope you're right! They still maintained that I need to action it quickly when I handed it in, let's see how I go.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 May 2017, 8:48 am

"They still maintained that I need to action it quickly"

Either they are idiots or they are treating you as one.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 12 May 2017, 8:57 am

Oldbloke wrote:"They still maintained that I need to action it quickly"

Either they are idiots or they are treating you as one.

Regardless, time for a new gun shop I think!
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 12 May 2017, 9:11 am

Couldn't agree more.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by FlyingStick » 27 May 2017, 8:47 pm

Good news guys!!! Picked up the Howa today after it was repaired under warranty. I was doubtful, however happy to say the issue has been rectified. No one was able to tell me what was wrong with it - will chase it up Monday however primarily I'm just happy to have it back and working as I expect it to.

Funnily enough - the dealer still maintains that it needs to be cycled quickly to feed properly. Taking it home and cycling it super slow just to see has proven them completely wrong...as you can see in the video, when working properly and everything is to spec I can cycle it at any speed I'd like.

https://youtu.be/o9BNriVqJjM
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 May 2017, 7:31 am

Great to hear.
Guess that means the owner of the LGS is an idiot. I'll stay away from him.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 May 2017, 3:00 pm

". Finding a good gun store that does really care about customer satisfaction seems a rare thing. :("

Getting rare for all business these days.
It's every man for himself.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 28 May 2017, 3:52 pm

Glad you got it sorted.
Gwion