Another .303 question

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Another .303 question

Post by snag » 15 May 2017, 9:03 pm

Hey guys, I didn't want to hijack taffy4x4's post, so I'll do my own.

Does anybody know which SMLE was issued to Australian troops in the post-war occupation force? My father served in Japan 1946-1948 and I really want to get the same series he would have carried. Researching the net has not given me no definitive answer. I sorted out what Grandpa had in New Guinea and Borneo (No1 mk3) and shoot that in Combined Services competition but info on post-war stuff is nowhere near as easy to find.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

snag
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Another .303 question

Post by Gun-nut » 15 May 2017, 9:07 pm

The Australian military continued using the lithgow no1 mk3 up until the 1950s when it was replaced by the l1a1 slr. Your father would of most likely carried the no1 in Japan. Australian troops have been known for using other firearms in other post war conflicts (such as the no5 in Malaya) but the standard was always the no1 mk3.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 16 May 2017, 11:49 am

No1MkIII*.....the star(*) was the last version produced/issued....
The lightened and shortened Aussie wasnt the No.5(No.4 development) but a No.6 (No.1 based)..... I think they were always 'experimental' but were issued in small numbers....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gun-nut » 16 May 2017, 12:23 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:No1MkIII*.....the star(*) was the last version produced/issued....
The lightened and shortened Aussie wasnt the No.5(No.4 development) but a No.6 (No.1 based)..... I think they were always 'experimental' but were issued in small numbers....

Correct, the no.6 was the Australian experimental rifle based off of the no1 action but were built in numbers too small to see service. During the Malayan emergency, Australian forces used British made no5 mk1 and US made m1 carbines, though none were officially adopted.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 May 2017, 8:42 am

In Skennertons book, "Australian Service Longarms", the The Lithgow factory mass produced S.M.L.E rifles in No1 Mk 3 configuration up until 1945, then produced another couple of thousand in the early 1950's, prior to re-tooling for the L1A1 around 1955. While other rifles were carried by Australian troops i.e the No4 Mk1 in the RAAF, P14 sniper rifle, No 5 Mk 1 in Malaya etc, the No 1 Mk 3 remained the standard up to and including the Korean war. To the best of my knowledge, the "experimental" No.6 shortened rifle and carbine were only issued for trials and never saw combat. Saw one go for $7000.00 a few years back, so they are pretty valuable collectors pieces.

As a point of interest, I am a collector myself, and own an all matching (including serial marked timber) No Mk 3 that belonged to my Uncle, and was then passed on to my father. This rifle saw service in both WW2 and Korea, and still shoots very well. For more info, you can contact the Lithgow factory itself, as they used to keep records of which rifles were issued where, although the ADF is very reluctant to tell you anything these days. The price for the standard rifle has gone through the roof since the 100 year ANZAC anniverary, and lots of people have profiteered by jumping on this band wagon. My first full wood Lee Enfield cost me $35.00, plus $12.50 for a bayonet...........
Member-Deleted

Post by snag » 19 May 2017, 8:16 pm

Thanks everyone, that's me sorted. I don't have to buy another rifle after all. Damn...........
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 19 May 2017, 10:52 pm

I'd buy a no.4 just in case...
Or a P14, you never know.

Or a K98....... he might have something he needed to tell you ;)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by snag » 19 May 2017, 11:27 pm

Ha ha ha, you're a wise man Supaduke........ I think there may be a no. 4 size hole in my gun safe after all.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gun-nut » 20 May 2017, 12:15 am

snag wrote:Ha ha ha, you're a wise man Supaduke........ I think there may be a no. 4 size hole in my gun safe after all.

Well in that case, its just common sense to have the no5 to match the no4...can't have one without the other. :D
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 20 May 2017, 10:08 am

Then you need its adversaries of the time. Just to really highlight the history
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 20 May 2017, 10:14 am

Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 May 2017, 9:42 am

If you want to reload, a P14 would be the best choice, but a good one dos not come cheap though; you are looking at minimum $800.00 for a a reasonable one. or around $1500.00 for a full wood matching numbers with a good bore. Sporterised ones are around but a bit of a gamble. I've got one in original condition, a Remington, and it out shoots all my other 303's, as well as having much greater case life. My 303 wildcats (303-25, 303 Epps, 303-22 etc) all perform better in the P14.
Member-Deleted

Return to Centerfire rifles