Steyr Pro Tactical

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Steyr Pro Tactical

Post by DrewRoss » 21 May 2017, 9:22 pm

Hello chaps,

First time poster here. I've recently purchased a Steyr Pro Tactical in .308. This is the first gun I've bought in a loooooong time. Prior to this I only really shot with 12g shotguns hunting for hares and ducks. I rarely did big game and on the odd occassion that I did I would use my father's Remington 7mm Mag.

I bought the Steyr as I like the look of it, it's build quality and the smoothness of the action. and having read a gazillion reviews of all sorts of rifles, calibres etc. I settled on the Pro Tac in .308 with a Bushnell 3-12X44 FFP scope becaue it covers pretty much all the needs that I want.

Anyway's... My experience with rifles is limited and especially when it comes to ammo. When I shot the 7mm Mag, it more than brouht down what I wanted (have taken out a couple of goats at around 250 mtres and a deer at about 300m no prob) so I never paid attention to what ammo I used. For the .308 though I would like to do some 1) medium to long range shoting on ranges (no comp just for fun) and 2) some medium to large game hunting (mainly goats or dear).

Could you fine fellows recommend any starting points in terms of ammo for both options? Obviously I'm going to invest in some boxes and try and find the best ammo for whatever the situation is, but would like at least some guidance on where to start including brands, gr's etc. At this stage i don't hand load but could be an option later down the track. Thanks in adance folks.

Cheers,
Drew
DrewRoss
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Steyr Pro Tactical

Post by TBJ » 23 May 2017, 4:49 pm

The 180gr Remington Core-Lokt is a well priced economical hunting ammo to try, If you can stretch your Budget Hornady's 178gr Precision Hunter is an excellent round as well, and I also like the Winchester's 180gr Large Game and 168gr Ballistic Silvertip's, Another to try would be Brownings new 168gr BXC ammo, I've only tried a few rounds recently but I plan on picking up a few more boxes next time. As to bullet weight try as many different weights as possible as some rifles prefer a heavier round to a lighter round or vice versa, as to brands I love Hornady and Winchester ammo for my hunting needs and practice for hunting and for just Plinking around and getting muscle memory going try Sellier and Bellot or the OSA ammo cans. Hand loading is an excellent option of which I am hoping to get into once I have more time on my hands, but it's best done once you've found what you and you're rifle like such as bullet weight and velocity with factory loads.
Hope this helps
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Pythonkeeper » 23 May 2017, 5:42 pm

Nice rifle mate, I've got a pro hunter in 223 and love it, the pro tac 308 is on the list of possibles for a second 308.

I shoot the Federal power-shok through both my 243 and 308 and found it to be the most accurate through my rifles after testing a few brands, it's well priced too. I use the 80 and 100 grain for the 243 and the 155 grain for the 308. I found the Remington core-lokt quite good also but the Federal had a slight edge through my guns and I can get it pretty cheap when bought in bulk, the 155 grain 308 has actually just come on special at my local, 240 rounds with free ammo can, time to stock up I think. 55 grain 223 is on special also.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 23 May 2017, 5:45 pm

For plinking , cheapest ammo you can find. PPU, S&B, PMC. Plinking with expensive ammo is wasteful and gets expensive quickly. Hunting ammo, depends on budget. Buy a few different boxes and see what you like. 150gr is the middle ground between flat shooting and knock down power.
Hornady Match Steel in boxes of 50 is great value for plinking and shoots well.
180gr bullets hit harder but drop quicker, as distance extends you will need more holdover.
Sierra match kings are very good for target but factory loaded rounds are pricey.
There really is no right answer, it depends what your budget is and what sort of performance you like.
Bricks that shoot in a rainbow
Lighter pills that shoot flat and fast but lack a bit of punch.
There are the new ELD range of pills but again they are expensive.
Then the next variable is your rifle, you may buy primo ammo and it could shoot like ******. There is no way to tell.
As a general rule, the larger the target beast, the heavier pill you want.
Buy a few different boxes and just see what happens.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by DrewRoss » 24 May 2017, 10:27 am

Thanks lads! Looking forward to shooting it soon!
Last edited by DrewRoss on 13 Jun 2017, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrewRoss
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 05 Jun 2017, 7:55 pm

reloading is the best way, sometime it is the only way...
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles