22-250 question.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

22-250 question.

Post by scoobs » 22 May 2017, 12:41 pm

question on the 22-250, im buying one soon, in a t3x :D . now, everyone on the interwebs goes on about how short barrel life is etc
has anyone here personally experienced short 22-250 barrel life? or is it just an internetism?

i do know that the calibre gets shorter life than say, a 223, but 2000 rounds to wear out a barrel? im not sure on this. i grew up shooting one and put many many rounds through one and experienced no accuracy loss.

either way, im still buying one, love the calibre, just thought i would ask the question :unknown:
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: 22-250 question.

Post by bigfellascott » 22 May 2017, 12:45 pm

I know of a Pro Roo Shooter who had around 5000 rds down his and it was still managing around 1" groups at 100m (he said it had just started opening up group wise) but still useable for his needs.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 22 May 2017, 2:12 pm

I've got a Stainless heavy barrel Howa 1500 in 22/250.
So far I've put just on 3,000 rnds of factory Highland and Winchester (4,000 fps) through it and it is still just as spot on accurate as the day I bought it.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 22 May 2017, 5:17 pm

I hear on a regular basis how such and such caliber is a barrel burner but as yet I've never come across a hunter that's managed to burn one out. Sure, target shooters can wear out barrels but their tolerance for group size is far tighter then that of a hunter.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 May 2017, 6:10 pm

I have had a Tikka M55 for over 25 years in 22-250 ,still amazed at the
Groups I can get out of the gun and it has had at least 500 factories and probably at least over 1500 reloads.Always a nice calibre to shoot.
Go for it.
Member-Deleted

Post by Strikey » 22 May 2017, 6:48 pm

Wore out a Ruger 22/250 after approximately 5000rnds,I bought it secondhand, wouldn't hold a 4 inch group at 100yds with a clean barrel and its preferred load for target shooting but as it got more fouled it would come down to around the 1 to 1•5 inch, the fouling builds up in the burnt out area of the throat and first few inches of eroded rifling, not cleaning a worn barrel is a way of extending its useful life if only hunting not recommended for target shooting. The 22/250 is a great calibre but running hot loads where it thrives will burn out the barrel, anyone who reckons it doesn't either doesn't keep a record of the number of rounds fired or their cleaning regime leaves a bit to be desired.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 May 2017, 7:04 pm

Yes spot on,its hard to properly clean a rifle when it's a long night roo shooting.
And I am not a big believer in completely cleaning out a hunting gun
Barrel 100% and a little fouling always brings back your precision for a while.
Member-Deleted

Post by Gwion » 22 May 2017, 8:28 pm

God... you guys would hate my cleaning regime! :wtf:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 22 May 2017, 8:35 pm

I must take my 250 out for a run again - she's a great fox smasher way out yonder.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 May 2017, 8:39 pm

Yes you got my vote, perfect fox rifle.Original reason for buying.
Member-Deleted

Post by Gwion » 22 May 2017, 8:45 pm

brett1868 wrote:I hear on a regular basis how such and such caliber is a barrel burner but as yet I've never come across a hunter that's managed to burn one out. Sure, target shooters can wear out barrels but their tolerance for group size is far tighter then that of a hunter.

Plus the number of rounds a keen target shooter would go through compared to your average hunter. Pro culling is a different kettle of fish again.

Even shooting casually, say twice a month for 10 months of the year, a modest 24 rounds for club f-class per visit, a 3000 round barrel life will last you 6 years. Push it up to once a week and a prize meeting every month (say 36 rounds minimum) and you're 3000 round barrel life is down to about 2.5 years. If you are really serious then you won't be happy with the rifle's accuracy after a lot less than the 3000 but as Brett says, those 3000 rounds will last most hunters a lifetime. Lets say you shoot 20 foxes and 80 rabbits over your 10 fox/bunny hunting trips per year: that's 30 years of hunting.

In the above comparison, the moderately keen target shooter shoots as much in a month as the average hunter does in a year.
Yes, there are those that shoot a crap load more but there are also those who are happy shooting less.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Apollo » 22 May 2017, 9:18 pm

What "Gwion" said hit the nail on the head.

Big difference between target shooting and a general all round hunter/varminter. I'll even go so far to say in one day of target shooting I'll fire way more rounds than any hunter would possibly do in months of shooting. I use a .243W Tikka T3 and a Sako 85.

I have the other version of what is also called a "Barrel Burner" but in most quarters not considered as bad as a 22-250. The only reason is the 22-250 being just a .22 calibre with near the same amount of powder and it's the heat in the barrel throat that does the damage.

I have three barrels for my 243W, one is my hunting/varminting barrel and it's pretty accurate, shot between 1-2,000 rounds and it will do under a 1 MOA Group but more like 1/2 MOA as it should. However my two other barrels only have a few hundred rounds through them and being Sako/Tikka they are all interchangeable. The one's with a few hundred are my target barrels and will do less than 1/2 MOA to 1/4 MOA on my Sako 85. They will not last anywhere near as long as the normal barrel because I may shoot 50-60 rounds in a matter of a few hours and the barrel doesn't really cool completely.

On and off I have had a .243W since way back in the 1970's and I think I will always have one. Back then you couldn't buy light bullets in 6mm, now you can like 55gr and I have used quite a few, boy they fly but I've got the same story as many say happens to a 22-250.... lot's of powder, lots of heat and perhaps worn barrel. Again, it's only hunting/varminting so I think I'll have that barrel for many many years and so many I'll forget how old that rifle was.

So, one point I'll make is that pick a 22-250 or a 243W these days using the same weight bullet, I'd go for the 6mm .243W but I'm sure many will disagree. However I can step up to 100gr bullets if I choose.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 22 May 2017, 10:40 pm

A very dear friend of mine has an early Sako heavy barrel in 22/250....I've know and shot with this guy for 30 years. I spoke to him about this topic. He reckons his rifle has had close to 6k worth of hand loads through it.....and it STILL shots Moa like it's going out of style, and it goes everywhere with him. He doesn't push the 55 gn pill real hard, cleans it very once and a while, and wouldn't part company with it...

I'd own it, and the calibre any day....

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scoobs » 23 May 2017, 11:11 am

Strikey wrote:Wore out a Ruger 22/250 after approximately 5000rnds,I bought it secondhand, wouldn't hold a 4 inch group at 100yds with a clean barrel and its preferred load for target shooting but as it got more fouled it would come down to around the 1 to 1•5 inch, the fouling builds up in the burnt out area of the throat and first few inches of eroded rifling, not cleaning a worn barrel is a way of extending its useful life if only hunting not recommended for target shooting. The 22/250 is a great calibre but running hot loads where it thrives will burn out the barrel, anyone who reckons it doesn't either doesn't keep a record of the number of rounds fired or their cleaning regime leaves a bit to be desired.

yeah i know that it will wear it out eventually. but i think when most people say they wear it out completely after 2000 rounds either dont count their rounds or dont mention that they are comp shooting with it or somthing.

ill be happy with 5000rnds. thats 5000 bunnies or foxes :lol: (i wish)
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles