Ruger American Rimfire Target

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Ruger American Rimfire Target

Post by TheGreenwolf » 19 Jun 2017, 3:02 pm

ok great thanks
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by TheGreenwolf » 19 Jun 2017, 3:05 pm

yep using cci standard right now seems pretty accurate to me....just i still cant hit stuff standing up cause im a newbie. but in terms of hitting from the bags, its pretty consistent now after the weekends practice.
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by in2anity » 19 Jun 2017, 8:03 pm

I also settled on cci-sv for metallic silhouette - can confirm, it'll definitely do its part if you do yours, plus nice and cheap :thumbsup:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 19 Jun 2017, 8:07 pm

TheGreenwolf wrote:yep using cci standard right now seems pretty accurate to me....just i still cant hit stuff standing up cause im a newbie. but in terms of hitting from the bags, its pretty consistent now after the weekends practice.

How's your trigger mate? Nice and light and crisp?IMO for offhand work the trigger makes a huge difference. Also don't be too hard on yourself, those turkeys are bloody small! We all struggle at points. :wtf:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Milesy » 19 Jun 2017, 9:18 pm

Savage Mk 11 22lr laminated Varmint
Got a barrel like a tank!
Regret not getting Ruger American as I have one in 223 and love it.
Attachments
IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0668.JPG (661.25 KiB) Viewed 7401 times
Ruger American 223 Stainless
WW Greener Martini Action 12g
Ruger American 22lr Blued
Savage Mk11 BV 22lr
SHS STP 12g
Tikka T3X 308 Win SS Lite
Milesy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2017, 3:05 am

Gamerancher wrote:If you were still looking to shoot some silhouette,I reckon you would get good service by using the CCI standard for practice and informal club shooting and build up to using the Eley Edge at larger competitions. The CCI standard has had a good reputation for a while now. My Sako P94S has a preference for the high end Lapua, but, I get very similar performance out of much cheaper ammo, albeit with the odd "flyer". For practice and club days that is tolerable for me. I save the high end stuff for big matches and only then if I'm shooting well. At $0.50 to $1 a shot, they are expensive holes in the dirt if you're not on your game.

I think I'm going to struggle to set aside whole days, or even weekends to do any competitive shooting. I weigh up spending four hours or more of driving for a few hours of shooting, against walking maybe fifty meters from where I'm sitting right now, to spend as many hours as I want shooting the wee steel beasties here at home. Most importantly, if real life steps in, I can put the rifles in the safe, sort the problem, and go right back to my shooting.

Once I complete the testing, I'll get bricks of the best stuff and then have a play at longer ranges.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg808TYc2Ao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-GUyITjmMA
I'm sure there are lots of ways to enjoy playing with .22's :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2017, 3:23 am

TheGreenwolf wrote:yep using cci standard right now seems pretty accurate to me....just i still cant hit stuff standing up cause im a newbie. but in terms of hitting from the bags, its pretty consistent now after the weekends practice.

It takes a lot of practice to become consistent at offhand shooting. I've found that if I'm not in the "zone" for it there's nothing gained by persevering. Better to stop and try again after a break.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 20 Jun 2017, 8:44 am

To quote Clint Eastwood, "A mans gotta know his limitations". You're right Bladeracer, it is no use carrying on if your head is not in the game.
You need a clear head and a calm temperament to shoot consistently well off-hand for the sustained periods that silhouette requires.
Being honest with yourself about where you break your shot and how well you follow through is a big part of improving this skill.
I'm like you, I only have to walk 20m from my gun-room to a 200m range. Range time is not my problem, actual match practice, when someone else is there, keeping score, competing against you is. During competition, my adrenaline system goes into overdrive and while this is good for games like footy, hockey and other sports that involve running around, it 'aint much good for shooting.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by TheGreenwolf » 20 Jun 2017, 11:29 am

in2anity wrote:

How's your trigger mate? Nice and light and crisp?IMO for offhand work the trigger makes a huge difference. Also don't be too hard on yourself, those turkeys are bloody small! We all struggle at points. :wtf:

to me it feels great, im really happy with the ruger after the weekend just gone, next weekend im going to practice for real. i do think i need to make a couple of small adjustments after i was shooting out to the 100m, but they will be just a little bit...mostly its great!
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by TheGreenwolf » 20 Jun 2017, 11:48 am

DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG (1.94 MiB) Viewed 7127 times
OK so this is at 50m best is the little triangle I was aiming for the tip of the triangle... Needs to go up slightly otherwise all good.

sorry image is sideways turn your head like an owl!
TheGreenwolf
Private
Private

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2017, 12:26 pm

TheGreenwolf wrote:
in2anity wrote:How's your trigger mate? Nice and light and crisp?IMO for offhand work the trigger makes a huge difference. Also don't be too hard on yourself, those turkeys are bloody small! We all struggle at points. :wtf:

to me it feels great, im really happy with the ruger after the weekend just gone, next weekend im going to practice for real. i do think i need to make a couple of small adjustments after i was shooting out to the 100m, but they will be just a little bit...mostly its great!

I like the Ruger triggers as well, but try shooting offhand and their limitations become a problem. For unsupported shooting the break needs to be right on the very edge so you can release it at the perfect microsecond. Supported shooting is not a problem as you can hold the sight picture for a very long time compared to unsupported, and simply keep squeezing until it breaks.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2017, 12:37 pm

TheGreenwolf wrote:
DSC_0007.JPG
OK so this is at 50m best is the little triangle I was aiming for the tip of the triangle... Needs to go up slightly otherwise all good.

sorry image is sideways turn your head like an owl!

That is something to be aware of. Try setting up different sized aiming points. For a new rifle with iron sights, at 50m I make different-sized diamonds out of insulation tape to determine which best fits that specific sight picture. With the scopes I find I shoot tighter groups when I'm aiming at a very small target. This will depend on the reticle and magnification of your scope, but you should be able to find the best size for your aim point. If you are shooting groups so tight that they either destroy the aiming point or change its shape or size, try adjusting your scope to place the bullets away from your aim point. I know some places in Europe actually use targets with the aiming point in the lower left corner away from the scored target for precisely this reason. When shooting groups I often aim at one corner of a piece of tape rather than at the target dot and let the bullets fall elsewhere.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jun 2017, 8:28 pm

Managed to test another eighteen types this arvo.

10rd groups at 50m
Norma Match 2 Training Ammunition - 30.5mm
Lapua Centre-X - 23mm
RWS Z-Lang - 80mm+ (130mm low)
RWS Club - 59mm
RWS Special Match - 23mm
RWS R50 - 40mm
RWS R100 - 24.5mm
RWS Subsonic HP - 35mm
Geco Rifle - 22.5mm
Eley Sport - 47mm (first eight into 21mm)
Federal Target Standard - 34.5mm
Federal Gold Medal Target - 29mm
Federal Premium Match - 28.5mm
SK Magazine - 27.5mm
SK High Velocity - 13.5mm
SK Standard Plus - 24mm
Remington Golden Bullet - 51.5mm
Remington Target - 38.5mm

Stand out is the SK High Velocity - two ten-round groups of 15mm and 13.5mm - wow! RWS R100, RWS Special Match, Geco Rifle, Lapua Centre-X and perhaps Eley Sport show some promise. More testing might even put the SK High Velocity at the top of the heap. The 13.5mm SK group was shots number 983-992 through the bore since new. Other than two patches to clean the bore when it was brand new, I haven’t cleaned it since. After today’s effort I’m at 1013rds through the bore. It’s quite possible that the bore is starting to “come in” now that I’ve got the first thousand through it, so I’ll shoot a bunch of CCI SV and Eley Edge this week to compare with how it shot them when new. Surprisingly, although some of these shot very well, it seems to me that only the SK High Velocity can really eclipse the CCI Standard Velocity and Eley Edge. It was getting late so I only took the Ruger Target out today. A light breeze but I think the rapidly fading light was a bigger deal. I shot all of these, then jogged 500m to get some CCI SV and Eley Edge so I could shoot some control groups – and then shot the 19mm CCI group with the last of the light.

Next step is to get some bricks for some serious testing - SK High Velocity, Geco Rifle, Eley Sport and some more Eley Subsonic HP should do it. I'm interested in seeing if the SK High Velocity holds its accuracy at longer ranges. The Lapua is significantly more expensive than the Eley Edge (which is double the price of the Eley Sport), and I can't see it offering anything to warrant further testing at that price. The Eley Sport I want to shoot more of primarily because of the price. If it can maintain what Eley Edge is doing then that would be awesome. Right now though a brick of SK High Velocity - if I can get it - could well kick everything else off the table completely. I grabbed the last four boxes the shop had for $10 each. The next import of SK is not before September, when I'll also be able to test the Rifle Match, which may even shoot better still. I'll probably just get a case of CCI to see me through until then though.

I'll add the above to my first test in this thread and sort them a little neater.
Attachments
210620172492.jpg
210620172492.jpg (834.52 KiB) Viewed 7815 times
Ruger Target Ammo Test 6.jpg
Ruger Target Ammo Test 6.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 7815 times
Ruger Target Ammo Test 5.jpg
Ruger Target Ammo Test 5.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 7815 times
Ruger Target Ammo Test 4.jpg
Ruger Target Ammo Test 4.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 7815 times
Ruger Target Ammo Test 3.jpg
Ruger Target Ammo Test 3.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 7815 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jun 2017, 9:00 pm

At 50m, ten rounds of the following 51 types (best groups):
Sub-MoA
SK High Velocity - 13.5mm
Eley Subsonic HP - 14mm (best 5rd group 7mm at 50m and 16.8mm at 100m)

1-1.5MoA
Eley Edge - 18mm (best 10rd 100m group 26.5mm)
Eley Sport - 17mm
CCI Standard Velocity - 18mm (best 5rd group 6.5mm at 50m)

1.5-2.0MoA
Remington Cyclone (0.044" rim) - 22mm (5rds)
Geco Rifle - 22.5mm
Lapua Centre-X - 23mm
RWS Special Match - 23mm
SK Standard Plus - 24mm
Eley Match - 24mm
RWS R100 - 24.5mm
RWS Rifle Match - 24.5mm
Eley Tenex - 25mm
Highland RX Target - 26.5mm (5rds)
Eley Club - 27mm
Sellier & Bellot Subsonic - 27mm
SK Magazine - 27.5mm (17mm 5rds)
CCI Velocitor - 28.5mm
Federal Premium Match - 28.5mm
Federal Gold Medal Target - 29mm

2.0-2.5MoA
American Eagle HVHP - 30mm
Norma Match 2 Training Ammunition - 30.5mm
Winchester Subsonic Max 42 - 31mm
Highland RX HP - 31mm
Remington Cyclone (0.039" rim) - 31.5mm (5rds)
Highland RX Subsonic - 32mm
Remington Subsonic - 34.5mm
Federal Target Standard - 34.5mm
Sellier & Bellot High Velocity - 35mm
RWS Subsonic HP - 35mm
Highland Super Quiet - 35.5mm (5rds)

2.5-3.0MoA
American Eagle Suppressor 45gn 970fps - 37mm
Remington Target - 38.5mm
RWS HVHP - 40mm
RWS R50 - 40mm

3.0-3.5MoA
Blazer RN - 44mm
CCI MiniMag - 46mm
CCI Stinger - 48mm
CCI Subsonic HP 1050fps - 50.5mm

3.5-4.0MoA
Winchester Powerpoint 42 - 51mm
Remington Golden Bullet - 51.5mm
Remington Yellow Jacket - 54mm
Remington Cyclone (unsorted) - 55mm (first groups)
Winchester T22 - 58mm
CCI Copper-22 - 58mm

4.0-4.5MoA
RWS Club - 59mm
Winchester Superspeed - 60mm

4.5-5.0MoA
Federal GameShock 38gn HP - 68.5mm
Sellier & Bellot Standard - 72mm

5.0+MoA
RWS Z-Lang - 80mm+ (130mm low)
CCI Quiet Seg HP 710fps - 84.5mm (220mm holdover)
Winchester Super-X Short - 90mm+
Last edited by bladeracer on 14 Jul 2017, 12:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 21 Jun 2017, 9:19 pm

The Geco Rifle and RWS club and rifle match were fairly good in mine Eley match a bit better still heaps of testing to do.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jun 2017, 9:21 pm

rsj223 wrote:The Geco Rifle and RWS club and rifle match were fairly good in mine Eley match a bit better still heaps of testing to do.

Testing is fun too :-)
Can you get any SK Rifle Match or High Velocity in your area?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 21 Jun 2017, 9:26 pm

Nope all sold out, will get into it on the school holidays as I have 2 weeks off.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 21 Jun 2017, 10:31 pm

bladeracer wrote:I can confirm that the low comb was a dumb idea on a rifle with no iron sights on it, it's far too low for scope use, so I'll have to put a cheek riser on the OEM stock.

I would think about a velcro attached "stock pack" rather than anything fixed by through the stock bolts, I put an adjustable riser on the young blokes Remington VSSF and it is a PITA to get the bolt out to clean the bore.

On his Omark 44 I used a stock pack and that is heaps better.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 21 Jun 2017, 10:39 pm

bladeracer wrote:
rsj223 wrote:The Geco Rifle and RWS club and rifle match were fairly good in mine Eley match a bit better still heaps of testing to do.

Testing is fun too :-)
Can you get any SK Rifle Match or High Velocity in your area?

Just a teaser pic coz more need to do this :D
Attachments
20170604_102931 - Copy.jpg
20170604_102931 - Copy.jpg (501.84 KiB) Viewed 7799 times
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jun 2017, 3:55 pm

Tiger650 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I can confirm that the low comb was a dumb idea on a rifle with no iron sights on it, it's far too low for scope use, so I'll have to put a cheek riser on the OEM stock.

I would think about a velcro attached "stock pack" rather than anything fixed by through the stock bolts, I put an adjustable riser on the young blokes Remington VSSF and it is a PITA to get the bolt out to clean the bore.

On his Omark 44 I used a stock pack and that is heaps better.

On the OEM stock I just used a strapped on adjustable pad.
The M4 stock on the MDT chassis works very well without a riser.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jun 2017, 4:03 pm

rsj223 wrote:Just a teaser pic coz more need to do this :D

Great way to spend a few hours :-)
What is the Cobra ammo?????
Never saw that one during my research.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 22 Jun 2017, 7:14 pm

Cobra I got at gunco, very cheap and did not do very well so gave that one to the son to plink away, I think its made by Olin not worth it in my opinion.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2017, 1:20 am

rsj223 wrote:Cobra I got at gunco, very cheap and did not do very well so gave that one to the son to plink away, I think its made by Olin not worth it in my opinion.

From what I can gather it appears to be Aussie made Winchester branded for Kilwell, a New Zealand retailer.
I've emailed Kilwell and asked if it is simply a rebranded existing Winchester load or something unique to their own spec. Gunco is the only place I've found that has it in Oz, and at $49 a brick it's bloody cheap so it has that in its favour at least :-)
If I ever find myself heading up to the big smoke again I'll have to remember to get some just so I can add it to the list, but I doubt it's worth a special trip :-)

One thing I forgot to mention is how greasy the SK ammo is, especially the Magazine. The cases were extracting, but often failing to eject because they were so sticky. That stuff would get very annoying very quickly.
Last edited by bladeracer on 23 Jun 2017, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2017, 7:53 am

rsj223 wrote:Cobra I got at gunco, very cheap and did not do very well so gave that one to the son to plink away, I think its made by Olin not worth it in my opinion.

Got a response back very quickly from Kilwell.

"To answer your questions – Kilwell Whisper (subsonic), and Kilwell Cobra (supersonic) ammunition is made by Winchester Australia exclusively for us. Winchester has been making this ammo for us for many years. Early on it did differ from standard Winchester loads – we used 37.5 grain projectiles, rather than the 40 grain projectiles – but production in the past 10 years has been identical to the Winchester loads using 40 grain projectiles. Essentially, the only difference now is the packaging.

The ammunition available through Gunco is a small run-out of left-over packaging that Winchester loaded recently. Because the loads are identical to Winchester Subsonic and Power Point, I don’t think it warrants a 6-hour round trip, unless you really want some exclusive packaging! Once again, great to hear from you, and good luck with your testing.

Kind regards,
Paul Newman
Brand Manager
pauln@kilwell.co.nz
www.kilwell.co.nz"
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 23 Jun 2017, 8:11 am

Strange the power point shot better,good enough to help get the numbers up on the barrel.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jun 2017, 4:19 am

Did another good session just shooting CCI Std Vel, Eley Subsonic and some Eley Edge.
I fired 310 rounds all up, most at 50m, but also some groups at 25m, 75m and 100m.
Stone cold bore put 5rds of CCI SV into 19mm at 50m.
Best groups for CCI SV were 11mm for 5rds at 50m, 22.5mm at 75m and 34.5mm at 100m.
Best Eley Edge were 9.5mm for 5rds at 50m, and 17.5mm for 5rds at 100m.
Best Eley Subsonic were 6mm for 5rds at 25m, 10mm at 50m, and 32.5mm at 100m.

So Eley Edge still holds it, especially out to 100m.
Eley Subsonic may be good for 50m shooting though, at almost half the price of the Edge.
Although the Subsonic is 1040fps and the Edge is 1085fps, the Subsonic drops about 70mm further than the Edge at 100m.

As I mentioned earlier, SK High Velocity may be the best of all, but I only have 150rds until September.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jul 2017, 8:01 pm

Another session today.
I shot six 5rd groups at 50m with Eley Subsonic, Eley Edge and CCI Std Vel.
Cold bore shot (Eley Subsonic) went 20mm low and left of the group.
Best groups were CCI 20mm, Subsonic 22mm and Edge 24mm.

Then I cleaned the bore (after 1423rds). Sprayed solvent in and gave it a couple minutes, then half a dozen passes with a nylon brush and the fourth patch came out white. I also used a .243 nylon brush to clean the chamber. Cleaned and lubed the bolt and went back out.

Four groups of CCI with a best of 17mm. Worst group was the first at 26mm.
Then four groups of Eley Subsonic - best of 12mm.
Two groups of Eley Edge - both 17mm.
Then four groups with SK Magazine - best of 17mm.
Then back to the CCI's (after 60rds) for six more groups with a best of 11mm.
Then six groups with Eley Subsonic for a best of 13mm.

So I'm guessing the Target barrel prefers cleaning somewhere before the 1400rd mark. I'll try it again after another 700rds and see what happens. Thankfully it only seems to need fifty rounds or so to foul the barrel before tightening the groups up again.

I think at this point the rifle is easily shooting better than I can, even from bags off the bench.
I did also manage a quick plink at the rams at 50m offhand - ten rounds for ten hits. Happy with that, but it's considerably more difficult at 100m :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 01 Jul 2017, 10:27 pm

bladeracer wrote:I did also manage a quick plink at the rams at 50m offhand - ten rounds for ten hits. Happy with that, but it's considerably more difficult at 100m :-)

Twice as difficult if my math is correct ;-)
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jul 2017, 1:08 pm

in2anity wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I did also manage a quick plink at the rams at 50m offhand - ten rounds for ten hits. Happy with that, but it's considerably more difficult at 100m :-)

If only it were that easy!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 02 Jul 2017, 2:56 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:

If only it were that easy!

But It's those bloody turkeys that I always choke on...
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles