New vs. Good used

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New vs. Good used

Post by Thom318 » 31 May 2017, 9:28 pm

Hi guys,

Just wondering what everyone thinks is the better way to buy? Would you prefer to go brand spankers, with full warranty, but never fired and may still have some fresh bugs? Do you prefer pre-loved, already broken in, some bugs fixed, cheaper price?
Is a rifle like a car, when it's best value just after the warranty runs out, or are they usually being sold because the first owner has issues with them?
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: New vs. Good used

Post by duncan61 » 31 May 2017, 10:10 pm

When you can buy new from $500-$1000 its a good way to go.I bought my 7mm Rem Mag secondhand off someone I knew well and they had just run it in.I believe it is a good idea to run in new barrels,Some say dont bother but you are going to zero so why not clean it after every shot for the first 5
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 31 May 2017, 10:12 pm

New is always better, but that said I've sold rifles which were perfectly fine, I just got bored of it or didn't like it. And I bought virtually brand new rifles because the seller was selling for similar reasons... I don't think you are looking at it the right way though. Bug fixes? If something is not working or a little quirky, it will be the same regardless if you buy it new or used.

I generally buy second hand when I can. New when I can't.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 31 May 2017, 10:25 pm

Depends on what type caliber of rifle use etc. Like you won't find a new .303 these days besides a in grease for like $5000

New you know it hasn't been messed with but used is cheaper and you can bust it up out bush and not feel as bad but you don't know the history behind it, and some peoples cleaning habbits.. are just plain messed up

I bought my first rifle based off reputation and other peoples but this buy thay opinion, sold it unfired because i just hated it, nothing wrong with it pretty much guns are guns, as long as you know what to look for you should be right, just bare in mind some peoples defenition of conditions are different etc slightly used could be someone elses scrap gun
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 01 Jun 2017, 1:43 am

One train of thought is that when you buy new, you're buying your own problems and when you buy used you're buying someone else's problems.

Not quite half the guns I've got were obtained used, either former military guns, those inherited, guns no longer in production, or a price too good to let go.

I've never been upset by the used gun. But I've checked them over pretty darn well.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 01 Jun 2017, 2:13 am

i am like bentaz i like a lot of guns they just dont make any more you have to go used or if they are real good deals.
If you are wanting a gun that you can get new and you want the peace of mind go that way guns are like cars its all about what you want and can pay for.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 01 Jun 2017, 5:55 pm

Nothing wrong with buying 'good' used guns. Many of the older rifles and shotguns were of higher build quality than the current models. The Old pre 73' Brno 22s are a good example. Guns are basically steel and wood and it's pretty easy to check the condition of a used rifle or shotgun before you buy it to ensure it function is up to scratch.

Most of my guns were bought used and were in perfect condition and never missed a beat. I did buy a brand new Steoger shotgun a few years back and it was a piece of misfiring crap so I gave it back to the shop.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by duncan61 » 01 Jun 2017, 7:19 pm

My first firearm was a greener shotgun made in 1886.New was not really an option.I see they have 2 at my LGS here we go again
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Noisydad » 01 Jun 2017, 10:39 pm

My last 8 were anywhere between 2nd and 8th hand (Literally) and having a ball with all of em!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 01 Jun 2017, 11:05 pm

People sell guns for different reasons besides a flaw with them. Some are giving up shooting, some have passed away, some have simply run out of room (either in their safe or on their license) and some have bought something without really thinking.
Personally I'd rather have an older gun of high quality than a new cheaply made one for the same price.
That being said I'm going to pick up an Adler or Pardus etc secondhand for around $500 as people start selling them off.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 01 Jun 2017, 11:10 pm

I still laugh at the peanuts who paid 2k for a freakin Adler. Bet they feel a bit silly now. Impatience can be expensive.

The people that sold them.....Genius!
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles