Lithgow la102 vs Tikka t3x

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Lithgow la102 vs Tikka t3x

Post by RumPlz » 10 Jun 2017, 2:22 pm

Hi all,

I'm stuck with a bit of a dilemma and I feel your opinions might be able to swing me in the right direction.
I'm looking at getting either of these 2 rifles in .223 and just want some first hand experiences with them.

Aside from the face that the lithgow is aussie made, is there any other reason that I should be choosing it over the tikka? As the Tikka is the cheaper rifle.

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers!
RumPlz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Lithgow la102 vs Tikka t3x

Post by Gun-nut » 10 Jun 2017, 3:08 pm

Will you be wanting this for hunting or target shooting? Which tikka model are you looking at specifically?
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RumPlz » 10 Jun 2017, 3:30 pm

Sorry I should of been more specific.

Hunting, T3x Varmint
RumPlz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by straightsilver » 10 Jun 2017, 5:41 pm

My 2c From what I have seen and read the Tikkas are consistently of a better quality while the Lithgow are mostly good their QA is not up to scratch.
straightsilver
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Gwion » 11 Jun 2017, 7:53 am

Last I looked the Lthgow was a couple of hundred cheaper than Tikka. Haven't shot a 102 but have shot the 202 in wmr and tikka in 223. I would buy the Lithgow.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Cooper » 11 Jun 2017, 9:20 am

If I was buying. I'd buy the Tikka in a lite with the 1-8 twist. But I have already two 223s. I just reckon the the lite will shoot just as good as a hunter. Cheaper and lighter. Still handle 55gr bullets up. Good if you want to shoot heavier bullets.

Pretty sure the Lithgow is 1-9 twist. If you like the way it handles. Buy it. Dont just buy it because you want to buy Australian. Although I can see the attraction. Buy with the head and not just the heart.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 11 Jun 2017, 9:58 am

From what I have seen of both products the Lithgow is every bit equal or better quality of the Tikka in construction and tolerances. In design I personally think it is better. But, as above, pick both up and buy the one that feels best to you.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Jun 2017, 9:59 am

RumPlz wrote:Sorry I should of been more specific.

Hunting, T3x Varmint

What sort of hunting are we talking here, ie walking long distances or sitting off warrens or shooting out of a vehicle type thing? if you are on foot I'd go something lite, if you are doing a short walk then shooting off a bipod or out of a vehicle the varmint would be fine for that but if you are shooting off hand Id go a lite option.

Varmints are good if you are doing 4 or 5 shots in short succession. lights are good for 1 or 2 or maybe 3 shots in succession before they start to wander a bit (no such a prob with small cals) bigger cals heat up the barrel quicker so can be noticed more with those at times.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 11 Jun 2017, 4:06 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Varmints are good if you are doing 4 or 5 shots in short succession. lights are good for 1 or 2 or maybe 3 shots in succession before they start to wander a bit (no such a prob with small cals) bigger cals heat up the barrel quicker so can be noticed more with those at times.

Isn't it more about with the speed of the projectile (rather than the caliber)? I mean a big, slow old .45 isn't gonna generate anywhere near the heat of say a .204? I'm of the understanding that this is one of the major pros of shooting reduced-load, heavy, cast-lead projectiles.

Regardless, heavy barrels obviously slow this heating process down... and the inherent stiffness also helps mitigate the whip, so they're basically less finicky when it comes to loads/ammo.
Last edited by in2anity on 11 Jun 2017, 8:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Hangfire » 11 Jun 2017, 4:40 pm

RumPlz wrote:Hi all,

I'm stuck with a bit of a dilemma and I feel your opinions might be able to swing me in the right direction.
I'm looking at getting either of these 2 rifles in .223 and just want some first hand experiences with them.

Aside from the face that the lithgow is aussie made, is there any other reason that I should be choosing it over the tikka? As the Tikka is the cheaper rifle.

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers!

Tikka t3x varmit is on average 200 dollar more than the lithgow.
Hangfire
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Jun 2017, 6:42 am

in2anity wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Varmints are good if you are doing 4 or 5 shots in short succession. lights are good for 1 or 2 or maybe 3 shots in succession before they start to wander a bit (no such a prob with small cals) bigger cals heat up the barrel quicker so can be noticed more with those at times.

Isn't it more about with the speed of the projectile (rather than the caliber)? I mean a big, slow old .45 isn't gonna generate anywhere near the heat of say a .204? I'm of the understanding that this is one of the major pros of shooting reduced-load, heavy, cast-lead projectiles.

Regardless, heavy barrels obviously slow this heating process down... and the inherent stiffness also helps mitigate the whip, so they're basically less finicky when it comes to loads/ammo.

Nah more to do with case capacity than velocities for the most part. My 22.250 heats up quicker than my 204 even though the 204 is moving faster (250 has a bigger case capacity). My 308 heats up quickly with a thin barrel compared to my 223 with a thin barrel.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Jimbo047 » 14 Jun 2017, 11:42 am

I was in exactly the same situation. I ended up going with the Lithgow. You definitely need to go into a shop and pick them both up.

The Lithgow is great. I'm sold on it.
Jimbo047
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Pythonkeeper » 14 Jun 2017, 4:53 pm

I love my Lithgows, I have 3 of them but I won't be buying another, their warranty and after sales service sucks.

I had to send my 243 back for warranty repair as the bolt started jamming after it was fired. After 5 weeks I didn't hear back from them so I sent an email demanding an explanation as to what was happening with my rifle. Two days later I got a reply saying that he'll get onto the team and get back to me with some answers within a few days.
Got an email today and was informed that the chamber and bore were "severely corroded" and they will need to replace the barrel, he asked had I been cleaning it and suggested that I must not have oiled/lubricated it at the end of the cleaning process.

Now, I'm very thorough when it comes to cleaning and looking after my gear and if anything I'm guilty of applying too much oil before my rifle go back in the safe.
Also the rifle in question was purchased new only 6-7 months ago, it has only had around 100 rounds put through it, even if I didn't look after it very well I wouldn't expect "severe" corrosion on such a new rifle. Doesn't sound right to me. Not happy.

The Lithgows are great shooters but if anything goes wrong with them prepare for a long wait before you even hear anything from them let alone get your gun back.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Professor Chaos » 14 Jun 2017, 5:39 pm

If you're stalking get something with a little lighter. The extra weight (of a varmit) really starts to fatigue you after a long walk.
If you are shooting from a rest or car just go with best fit.
My tikka varmit is fantastic and shoots elongated circles on paper....but I'd still take my PoS synethic skeletized horror instead if I was going on foot or had a hike
Professor Chaos
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Curramore » 15 Jun 2017, 6:32 pm

Tikka in the lite barrel configuration if you are only hunting and unlikely to shoot large strings quickly. Also I would get the Tikka .223rem in a 1 in 8 twist barrel, rather than the standard 1 in 12 barrel. They just love 75 grain Hornady Amax pills, but shoot the 55 grainers just as well as well. I think I paid $950 for my last one in 2016.
Curramore
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Jimbo047 » 16 Jun 2017, 6:58 am

Pythonkeeper wrote:Got an email today and was informed that the chamber and bore were "severely corroded" and they will need to replace the barrel, he asked had I been cleaning it and suggested that I must not have oiled/lubricated it at the end of the cleaning process.

Now, I'm very thorough when it comes to cleaning and looking after my gear and if anything I'm guilty of applying too much oil before my rifle go back in the safe.

Interesting. Can I ask how you were cleaning and lubing? I hope I'm not doing the same thing.
Jimbo047
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Pythonkeeper » 16 Jun 2017, 3:43 pm

Jimbo047, my cleaning and lubing process would be much the same as anyone else's, the problem with my rifle was through no fault of mine I assure you, the email I received from Lithgow tried to make out it was which really pi$$ed me off, which is coupled with the long wait and their lack of communication is why I won't be buying another Lithgow anytime soon.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RumPlz » 16 Jun 2017, 6:52 pm

Jimbo047 wrote:I was in exactly the same situation. I ended up going with the Lithgow. You definitely need to go into a shop and pick them both up.

The Lithgow is great. I'm sold on it.

This is what I have done, honestly the lithgow felt like a tank compared to the Tikka, which isn't a bad thing. I think the Australian made might sell me
RumPlz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Slant225 » 30 Jun 2017, 5:41 pm

I've got a LA102 in 223. It comes to the shoulder fantastically. I love the way it fits me. The trigger is nice to the touch and crisp and clean. Bolt and action is super smooth.
The only issue I have (had) with it is I could not get it to chamber a round by dropping it in on top of the magazine. It would foul on the bottom of the chamber. Mag feeding was never an issue, just the loose rounds.
I fixed this by purchasing a "Bobsled" from the tikka performance centre in the states. It is a little plastic ramp that fits in the mag. I needed to file it a little to get it to fit properly, but have not had an issue since. I love this rifle.
Good luck!!
Slant225
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles