Feeding problems with Steyr Classic

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Feeding problems with Steyr Classic

Post by Gunner » 26 Jun 2017, 3:34 pm

I wonder if there is anyone out there who can assist me.

I recently purchased a used .223 Steyr Mannlicher Classic in "as new" condition. The previous owner claimed that it had fired only 40 rds - a claim I am inclined to believe as the firearm is unmarked and the bolt face is shiny.

BUT - there is a problem with feeding. When I load:
. 1 rd into the mag, it chambers OK
. 2 rds into the mag, the top rd jams and the bottom one is OK;
. 3 rds into the mag, the top rd feeds OK, the 2nd jams and the bottom is OK
,. 4 rds into the mag, the top and 2nd rds feed OK, the 3rd rd jams and the bottom rd feeds OK.

It is obviously a magazine problem but I cannot see what it is. The mag is plastic - not so good on a rifle of this pedigree. I sent an inquiry off to the Steyr website in Austria - their non reply was deafening. I thought that I might see what the importers had to say but they seem uncontactable.

Any ideas as to how I might proceed?
Gunner
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Feeding problems with Steyr Classic

Post by pete1 » 26 Jun 2017, 4:03 pm

Is it same for all ammo brands?
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jun 2017, 6:17 pm

Gunner wrote:I wonder if there is anyone out there who can assist me.

I recently purchased a used .223 Steyr Mannlicher Classic in "as new" condition. The previous owner claimed that it had fired only 40 rds - a claim I am inclined to believe as the firearm is unmarked and the bolt face is shiny.

BUT - there is a problem with feeding. When I load:
. 1 rd into the mag, it chambers OK
. 2 rds into the mag, the top rd jams and the bottom one is OK;
. 3 rds into the mag, the top rd feeds OK, the 2nd jams and the bottom is OK
,. 4 rds into the mag, the top and 2nd rds feed OK, the 3rd rd jams and the bottom rd feeds OK.

It is obviously a magazine problem but I cannot see what it is. The mag is plastic - not so good on a rifle of this pedigree. I sent an inquiry off to the Steyr website in Austria - their non reply was deafening. I thought that I might see what the importers had to say but they seem uncontactable.

Any ideas as to how I might proceed?

This is the same problem I had with the Ruger American mags, doesn't matter how many you load it's always the same number from the bottom. Ruger replaced the .204 mag but the 7mm-08 came good over time.
I'd be looking to borrow a mag and see if that does the same thing.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gunner » 26 Jun 2017, 10:03 pm

pete1 wrote:Is it same for all ammo brands?

I reload using same brass. I have tried various seating depths but the problem persists.
Gunner
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ben3523 » 31 Oct 2018, 12:39 pm

I have the same problem with a steyr ultralight in 223 , ive also seen 223 scout rifles with the same problems , also I have emailed steyr and winchester australia both parties will not answer my emails
ben3523
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 01 Nov 2018, 6:58 pm

ben3523 wrote:I have the same problem with a steyr ultralight in 223 , ive also seen 223 scout rifles with the same problems , also I have emailed steyr and winchester australia both parties will not answer my emails

Have you talked to the place you bought the rifle from?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles