Remington 783 .223 rifle & scope package

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Remington 783 .223 rifle & scope package

Post by Corn » 09 Jul 2017, 3:43 pm

Hey guys, I thought I'd give a report on the Remington 783 in 223 cal.
I purchased this rifle a couple of weeks ago. It was a 'package' meaning it came with a scope.
Let me just begin by saying the scope is crap at best, I knew this before purchasing as I did check it out prior to buying.
But I was buying the rifle, not the scope.
The scope is a 3-9 x 40 no name job, it's blurry and not clear. I'm tipping it wasn't bore sited and if it was, it's not going to 'keep zero' whilst being transported / handled / stored. I say this because at first, I couldn't hit the paper target at 50m!! lol
I went out to Little River range today, the wind was a little blustery, mainly coming from right to left, I estimate gusting up to 20mph, the weather app suggested 34kph. However, it appeared I was high and right.
After a shirt load of adjustment, and I do mean a shirt load.
I blew through a box of Browning and almost a box Winchester ammo before I finally started hitting the paper. After some more adjustment and another box of Winchester ammo I finally had something close to being zero'd.
I put 5 OSA 55gr Blitzkings through and achieved quite good grouping.

The rifle is nice, the trigger is adjustable, however I did leave it set at the factory setting, which I found light enough.
Cycling the bolt is ok, it could be better, sometimes it's was a little sticky, other times it performed faultlessly. Maybe operator error or operator inconsistencies. I'm sure however, after a clean and oil it will be better. I did clean & oil the firearm before its firing its first lot of ammo.
It is my first 'larger' caliber rifle in my safe, and I'm quite happy. I know it's an entry level firearm, but at $735 I think it's well worth the money.
A new decent scope will complete the package nicely.
Here's a pic of where I finished off, 50m.
I'm keen to fit a better scope and try again further out.
Cheers
Attachments
IMG_5959.JPG
IMG_5959.JPG (884.76 KiB) Viewed 7079 times
Something something something
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Remington 783 .223 rifle & scope package

Post by Bridgy » 09 Jul 2017, 3:52 pm

These aren't bad rifles. I had one in .243 for a short while, eventually sold it to get a T3. Same as you, I found the bolt feeling not quite right some of the time. I also wasn't a fan of the flat bolt knob and its high travel when chambering a round. It felt cheaply made all round, but it was accurate and comfortable to shoot.
Bridgy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jul 2017, 3:55 pm

Definitely has potential. I'd be happy with that with factory ammo. You should have seen my Marlin with S&B ammo :lol: It was sheet. With reloads shoots great.
I'm no longer surprised at cheap rifles shooting respectable groups that would have been raved about 30 years ago. Computerised/modern manufacturing has made huge leaps over the past 20 or so years.

Good scope and your all good.

Next reloading. :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Corn » 09 Jul 2017, 4:04 pm

Yep, next is reloading. My son reloads his 308. So all I have to do is buy a couple of little things and I can use his set up.
I keep all the brass that I shoot, even the 22 stuff! Dunno why I do, I just clean up after myself and bring it home.
Something something something
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jul 2017, 4:12 pm

Yep, Dies and primer gizmo. Maybe trimmer.

"I keep all the brass that I shoot, even the 22 stuff! "

Me too.
An empty 22lr make a good trickler. Otherwise mine go into recycling. Reload all new centre fire brass.

Anyway don't like leaving rubbish in the field.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by taffy4x4 » 10 Jul 2017, 5:15 pm

My son got a 783 in.243 for his birthday, your comments about the scope are about right, it took him ages to zero but now it shoots remarkably well for a budget rifle. I owned a 788 in .308 for many years and it was superbly accurate. Start loading your own ammo and see what your gun likes.
Life is not a test drive
taffy4x4
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 10 Jul 2017, 10:21 pm

i am not familure with the 783 if the bolt is anything like the 700 you can have the bolt polished will make smoth as glass i had a 78 sportsman that was 700 action i had this done to.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Lorgar » 24 Jul 2017, 9:47 am

Oldbloke wrote:Definitely has potential. I'd be happy with that with factory ammo.

Agreed.

Nice to have one you know shoots well you can grab off the shelf while travelling or if you don't have time to reload a box before a trip or whatever.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles