Farm / work / ute rifle - pigs

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Farm / work / ute rifle - pigs

Post by in2anity » 11 Jul 2017, 10:20 am

Farmer Roy wrote:sounds ideal :-) :thumbsup:

dunno about the ease of cross border private sales ?

Anyway, thanks all for the replies. For the sort of shooting im envisaging I don't think reloading is an option - id never find the empty brass
cheers

Considering price of (factory) ammo is a significant factor here, it's gonna be real hard to go past a compact 308. If you were handloading, it'd be a different story; the 30/30 would be more appropriate. But the price of factory 30/30 these days brings a tear to my eye; I only buy it when I absolutely have to (to replace aged brass).
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 11 Jul 2017, 12:13 pm

does 3030 cost alot it is one of the cheepest rifle calibers to shoot here just about every one that has a gun has a 3030 it is the fist center fire rifle i shot.
when i was growing up if you said deer hunt it was the gun every one thought about.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by in2anity » 11 Jul 2017, 1:44 pm

wrenchman wrote:does 3030 cost alot it is one of the cheepest rifle calibers to shoot here just about every one that has a gun has a 3030 it is the fist center fire rifle i shot.
when i was growing up if you said deer hunt it was the gun every one thought about.

Yeah it does - often close to $40AUD per 20 (in NSW at least), that's towards $30USD a box!! :( Sure you can get em cheaper if you buy bulk + shop around, but if you just rock up at any-old LGS and buy a box of 20, they'll sting you for it
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 11 Jul 2017, 6:50 pm

It is hard to beat a good lever gun, when semis are not an option. Marlin's 336 comes to mind, mine has a 1x-3.5x scope on it but a good receiver iron sight would work too. The SMLE is a great gun, I love my No4Mk1, and another bolt gun to think about would be a Mosin-Nagant. My M44 is handier than my M91/30.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Wombat » 11 Jul 2017, 9:52 pm

Actually Is a Semi an option? You may be able to get a license given your need and occupation. An Sks or Ruger Mini would be ideal.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 12 Jul 2017, 7:47 am

Here's one for you.
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=104691

And another... just get rid of the scope for red-dot or whathaveyou and ask the seller if they have the original stock to get rid of the ugly AR wannabe thing on it.
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=104296
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 12 Jul 2017, 8:04 am

Or this: fit your sight of choice and get the barrel lopped and crowned down to 18", buy a spare mag..... choose which ever chambering is least expensive to feed for you locally.....
http://www.claytonfirearms.com.au/produ ... on-clayton
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2017, 8:51 am

Gwion wrote:Here's one for you.

And another... just get rid of the scope for red-dot or whathaveyou and ask the seller if they have the original stock to get rid of the ugly AR wannabe thing on it.

Did you miss the bit about a "farmer's budget"?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Farmer Roy » 12 Jul 2017, 10:30 am

Wombat wrote:Actually Is a Semi an option? You may be able to get a license given your need and occupation. An Sks or Ruger Mini would be ideal.

Yeah, that did cross my mind . . .
I suppose I just assumed any semis would be too expensive & all the cheap SKS etc went to scrap years ago . . .
Farmer Roy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Farmer Roy » 12 Jul 2017, 10:37 am

bladeracer wrote:

Did you miss the bit about a "farmer's budget"?

:thumbsup:
Farmer Roy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 12 Jul 2017, 10:38 am

Nope but what other choices are out there, realistically? Besides, i know quite a few farmers with pretty healthy budgets... it's just a matter of what they want to spend, not what they can afford.

OP seems to want high rate of fire, so lever or pump. Levers aren't really available in great cartridges for quick shooting at the 100m mark, so that leaves pumps. He wants something compact for easy storage and access and pointability, that leaves the Remington pump carbine/police.

Personally i'd get a howa sporter in 308 ( https://www.thebarn.net.au/Products/How ... 6pageno%3d ), cut the barrel down to 18" to stiffen the barrel and make it compact ($80-120), stick an Atlas worx DBM kit, a couple of 10 shot mags (or not if you are really working to the 'budget') and some sort of dot type optic/scope for a couple of hundred and you are away for $1000 or less (a lot less if you skip the Atlas Worx kit).

Buy a bulk load of OSA ammo (https://www.thebarn.net.au/Products/Buf ... o+Can+(480)/12099) .....

That's quite a few piggies.....

I may even be persuaded to part with my Atlas Worx kit and mag/s for a reasonable price....... :thumbsup:
Last edited by Gwion on 12 Jul 2017, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Farmer Roy » 12 Jul 2017, 10:38 am

Thanks for your research, but your link just takes me to their front page, not the actual item
I'll have a look through the site
Farmer Roy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Jeff303 » 12 Jul 2017, 10:44 am

Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 12 Jul 2017, 10:45 am

Farmer Roy wrote:

Thanks for your research, but your link just takes me to their front page, not the actual item
I'll have a look through the site

Look under pump/semi... lower down the page there are a few Rem "police" pumps... short, fast, 308. Around $1400-1600 with either optics or spare mags.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 12 Jul 2017, 11:10 am

On usedguns....

Ruger scout 308 $850
Carl Gustave M98 308, customised carbine, bedded $900
Remington pump 308, 2 mags, $995 (get the barrel lopped at 18" it will be LOUD but handle quick fire without accuracy deteriorating so fast and handle better from an ATV or ute)
Browning A-bolt 308 $795, sell scope and replace with Vortex Strike Fire, get barrel lopped....
Ruger gunsite scout 308 $750 with 2 mags....

It oges on and on but i need to get something done now! :lol:

Good luck with it. Plenty of good piggy guns to be had.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by duncan61 » 12 Jul 2017, 12:50 pm

Am I being lazy by thinking that if I had a sporter in .243 and wished to have a fast multi open sight I would get one in .243.I am sure .243 with 80-100 pills would stop pigs
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 12 Jul 2017, 12:52 pm

I have 3 crew that do culling with me and we all run .243 reloads all the same.Just makes sense to me
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 12 Jul 2017, 2:20 pm

True.
The quickest, easiest way out would be to dock the 243 barrel to about 18", replace the scope with a dot sight and load it up with the heaviest bullets it will stabilise. You could fit a DBM to it but how often are you really going to get to squeeze off more than 5 shots before everything buggers off!?!
Still, a pump would be quicker and easier to hold on target simply due to ergonomics: ie, the fact that your hands do not have to change position at all during firing and reload.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Jul 2017, 6:22 pm

I reckon a 30/30 or similar LA with a Dot sight would be a good option.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wombat » 12 Jul 2017, 6:35 pm

Farmer Roy wrote:
Wombat wrote:Actually Is a Semi an option? You may be able to get a license given your need and occupation. An Sks or Ruger Mini would be ideal.

Yeah, that did cross my mind . . .
I suppose I just assumed any semis would be too expensive & all the cheap SKS etc went to scrap years ago . . .

I have seen a few on usedguns that were not insanely priced. But with the current amnesty I reckon the secondhand stock of Semis will increase remarkably. A well known QLD shop has new AR's at quite reasonable prices at the moment.
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=103238
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Farmer Roy » 13 Jul 2017, 9:18 am

Gwion wrote:True.
The quickest, easiest way out would be to dock the 243 barrel to about 18", replace the scope with a dot sight and load it up with the heaviest bullets it will stabilise. You could fit a DBM to it but how often are you really going to get to squeeze off more than 5 shots before everything buggers off!?!
Still, a pump would be quicker and easier to hold on target simply due to ergonomics: ie, the fact that your hands do not have to change position at all during firing and reload.

Just out of interest, I took the scope off. Instantly it felt less "bulky", so maybe this is the quickest / cheapest / easiest way to go. Rifle also has a recoil pad that I've never liked - it adds about another 20mm or so & is wider than the butt, so taking it off would also help with the "feel".
Original iron sights have been removed, any recommendations on open sights or red dots?
By the way, it's a BSA on a Mauser action. A box magazine would be a great addition. Cutting the barrel down to 18" would also make a big difference.

Always good to get a variety of suggestions & opinions

Thanks
Farmer Roy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 13 Jul 2017, 9:44 am

Just be aware that with a short barrel it will be loud! On the plus side a short cylinder of the same profile is stiffer than a long one so the effects of barrel heating and wandering point of aim are somewhat mitigated.

No real experience with red dots but I've been looking at Vortex strike fire 2-4 with 2moa dot. Affordable and with the option to zoom in a touch it there is a longer shot to take.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 13 Jul 2017, 9:50 am

Ps: also on the plus side, 243 will have less lead and hold over than anything like a 30/30.

Not sure about where or if you can get a DBM for that rifle but how often will you be able to get more than 5 good shots off without everything making cover or bolting from reliable range???
You can alway just reload and continue on your way.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jul 2017, 12:10 pm

Gwion wrote:Ps: also on the plus side, 243 will have less lead and hold over than anything like a 30/30.

Not sure about where or if you can get a DBM for that rifle but how often will you be able to get more than 5 good shots off without everything making cover or bolting from reliable range???

Hold over at the ranges he's talking about? :?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jul 2017, 12:13 pm

These things are brilliant for fast close action shooting at moving targets, should go alright for the types of shooting your talking about.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Farmer Roy » 13 Jul 2017, 2:18 pm

bigfellascott wrote:These things are brilliant for fast close action shooting at moving targets, should go alright for the types of shooting your talking about.

The Vortex sight ?
Farmer Roy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 13 Jul 2017, 7:29 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Gwion wrote:Ps: also on the plus side, 243 will have less lead and hold over than anything like a 30/30.

Well, ok. At 100 yards it's not really an issue with a 30/30. Starts dropping pretty quick after 150, though. Still, faster is better; especially if you already have the rifle and a limited budget.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jul 2017, 7:57 pm

Gwion wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Well, ok. At 100 yards it's not really an issue with a 30/30. Starts dropping pretty quick after 150, though. Still, faster is better; especially if you already have the rifle and a limited budget.

So in reality not an issue then.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 13 Jul 2017, 8:30 pm

OP specifically asked for something cheap to run (considering he won't be reloading) - as said before, surely a 308 would be a cheaper option than the 30/30? I really don't see the point in arguing about the nuances of the 30/30 trajectory... and factory 243 is too expensive also. Don't overthink it - get a 308 and be done with it.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jul 2017, 8:54 pm

in2anity wrote:OP specifically asked for something cheap to run (considering he won't be reloading) - as said before, surely a 308 would be a cheaper option than the 30/30? I really don't see the point in arguing about the nuances of the 30/30 trajectory... and factory 243 is too expensive also. Don't overthink it - get a 308 and be done with it.

$22 or there abouts for 30/30 from a quick research - pretty sure I pay more for my 308.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey