Out of fashion or just superseded

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Out of fashion or just superseded

Post by Thom318 » 26 Jul 2017, 11:02 pm

I'm just wondering what everyone would class as a superseded action or calibre, as opposed to one that is just out of fashion.
I personally have a preference for the older, simpler equipment, be it guns, cars, machinery, or simply a good ol' work ethic. They just seem to work. I'd just like to hear from people what they think is passed it, or just not in fashion.
For example, I have a thing for single shot 12 gauges. I love their simplicity and they don't have a distance when both barrels cross over, however I probably wouldn't buy a single shot rifle calibre.
Or the 22 hornet. They're quiet and a reliable short/ mid range varmint calibre, but have they been surpassed by modern cartridges like the 223, 204 or even the 17 HMR?
I'm just curious what everyone might think is out of date, or just out of fashion.
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Out of fashion or just superseded

Post by pete1 » 26 Jul 2017, 11:20 pm

.32-20 has become way out of fashion I'm don't even think anyone makes it anymore.
I think a large contribution is cost. When 22WMR costs the same as .223 it makes many steer away from the 22WMR (while still a great cartridge) as you can get alot more velocity and energy for your $$$.

It's like I'm looking at a new rifle as i need something more powerful then a .223 and some calibers will cost $60 a box vs the .243 or .308 come in alot cheaper and still do the job i want.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 26 Jul 2017, 11:54 pm

Some "Out of Fashion" actions that come to my mind are the Long Recoil action as typified by Brownings Original A-5. A good durable design that saw production beside the gas and inertia semi autos the cost of the gun, and to some its looks, brought it to an end. Same for the Darne sliding breech double guns. Steel/metal framed semiautomatic pistols, with the exclusion of 1911s and P-35s, for the most part makers and buyers are headed for the Poly-framed guns. Again, cost is the big factor. Single shot handguns seem to be just about gone too.

Superseded Actions are a bit easier the American Trapdoor and British Snyder we stop-gap measures that were replaced by superior and stronger actions. Double action revolver designs improved and the break open revolver frames have disappeared because of better designs.

Cartridge wise, well few survived the transition from black powder to smokeless, many proprietary rounds went bye-bye, when was the last time you saw a gun chambered for the 35S&W auto? what about the 25 Remington or the 30 Remington? Many rounds loose out because of improved components, the 7mm/08 can do anything the 7mm Mauser can, but in a shorter action, and the ammo maker doesn't have to worry about pressure being to high for older actions.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 27 Jul 2017, 6:13 am

Probably anything in NoisyDad's safe! :lol:

(Sorry, Noisy)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bills Shed » 27 Jul 2017, 7:31 am

I was going to write something serious and well thought out but on a personal level my break barrel Gamo .177" air rifle was superseded by smokeless gun powder in the shape of a .22LR and it is still in fashion. Much happiness.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by happyhunter » 27 Jul 2017, 7:36 am

222 Remington and 222 Remington Magnum are superseded by the 223 Remington. 222 Rem is still in common use, the 22 Rem Mag not so much anymore. 300 Savage is a great cartridge but superseded by the 308 Winchester.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gamerancher » 27 Jul 2017, 9:55 am

Pete1, the .32-20 is very popular in lever-action silhouette. Remington and Winchester still make ammo for it and new brass is available from a few different companies.
There is a good reason why any cartridge that is still being made after 100 years since introduced, they work. .45-70, 6.5 x 55, 7 x 57, .44-40, .30-30, .38-55, the list goes on.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by pete1 » 27 Jul 2017, 5:34 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Pete1, the .32-20 is very popular in lever-action silhouette. Remington and Winchester still make ammo for it and new brass is available from a few different companies.
There is a good reason why any cartridge that is still being made after 100 years since introduced, they work. .45-70, 6.5 x 55, 7 x 57, .44-40, .30-30, .38-55, the list goes on.

Well there you go, never seen it and some i know has a 32-20 claims the ammo doesn't exist, i will be letting them know.

The .410 while not superseded, i would put as a disappearing cartridge, some shops only have a box or two on the shelf vs 12G there's tonnes of it and same price or cheaper.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Col » 27 Jul 2017, 6:40 pm

FWIW what about the 38-40. You dont see much factory ammo for it about. Come to think of it I had to order the last lot I got from Winchester and that was about 20 yrs ago :)
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jul 2017, 3:03 pm

Gwion wrote:Probably anything in NoisyDad's safe! :lol:

(Sorry, Noisy)

BS your not sorry. 10/10 :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Conallin24 » 28 Jul 2017, 6:23 pm

Bentaz, I have a 1960s side by side 20Ga that when I turn 18 will become mine and I love it. If I could only have 1 gun (not that I only want 1) I would pick it in a heartbeat. I also intend on getting a new u/o 20Ga Miroku soon. It's a great gauge that can do 95% of the things a 12Ga can do. I shoot 18/19 out of 25s out of it at field and game and I'm only getting better. Plus I reload cases for about $90 so really it's only expensive if your to lazy to make your own rounds. If anyone is thinking 20Ga I recommend it they are simply put a brilliant gun you will not regret getting.
Conallin24
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 28 Jul 2017, 6:59 pm

450/577 boxer.But who wouldnt want one
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 28 Jul 2017, 7:03 pm

450/577 boxer.But who wouldnt want one
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Jakethefake » 29 Jul 2017, 10:24 am

bentaz wrote:For sure mate, i have a 20ga, i also have a 16ga and they're great, but if you asked 10 shooters I'd almost garantee 9 of them don't shoot 20 or 16ga.

I would say 20ga is much more popular still than 16ga though.
Jakethefake
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by snag » 29 Jul 2017, 10:56 am

I would say 20ga is much more popular still than 16ga though.[/quote]

Yep, you see quite a few 20ga bolt actions firing solids now.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Itshurting » 29 Jul 2017, 8:21 pm

I inherited a 1972 Remington 700 in .17 Rem from the Father in Law,and while its a beautiful firearm in top condition, I struggle to see the point of this calibre.
Also at $3 a shot its way to pricey for ammo,that is of course if you can find any.
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars".

Remington
Henry
Mossberg
Krico
Cashmore
Pardus
Itshurting
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles