Most versatile cartridge for a new shooter

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Most versatile cartridge for a new shooter

Post by Bonibags » 06 Aug 2017, 9:50 pm

Hi There

I'm about to start the process of getting a rifle license. I was wanting to set my sites (pardon the pun) early on the rifle I would like to get. I am likely only to ever be able to buy one firearm, so herein lies the dilemma.

Once my license app was approved Id like to purchase a secondhand .357 Magnum Marlin or Rossi lever action as this would fire heaver .357 for close shots on larger game without massive recoil and .38 special in lighter loads for lighter game.The other thought was a Marlin 30-30 but this would be too large for rabbits and there are more efficient cartridges like .243 if I was going to go that large.

Your opinions are muchly appreciated
Bonibags
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Most versatile cartridge for a new shooter

Post by p3seven » 07 Aug 2017, 9:22 am

I have a 243 W for it's versatility. I load up with 60 gn Hp for foxes, cats, rabbits. Then 95 gn for pigs and the lesser deer. Carry two magazines loaded with each. Spent time at the range so l know that 4clicks right and 4 clicks up on the scope when i change from light to heavy rounds and vice versa. I am not afraid to use the 95 gn projectiles on large animals like camels, scrubbers and donkeys. You just have to be prepared to forego your shot if you cannot get optimum placement.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bonibags » 07 Aug 2017, 9:31 am

Thanks Guys.

I do love the Enfield .303. And .22 magnum would be the next choice.
Bonibags
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by ausbushman » 07 Aug 2017, 9:34 am

Just get a 22 to start with mate, you will end up with about 5 guns at least, I said the same when I started only 1, Dont say thats all the misses will allow,I never had an interest in firearms, Inherited 1, said I wouldnt get any more, then slowly bought about 20 to cover all bases, now my mates think/convinced that I am some nut job gun nut
ausbushman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 07 Aug 2017, 9:54 am

Planning on reloading? If so 260 rem if not 6.5x55. If you want to hunt in Vic 308 would be better.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by yoshie » 07 Aug 2017, 9:57 am

yoshie wrote:Planning on reloading? If so 260 rem if not 6.5x55 or 243. Everyone needs a 44 lever action. if you want to hunt in Vic 308 would be better.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by knowsnothin » 07 Aug 2017, 10:01 am

'I am likely only to ever be able to buy one firearm.'

we understand.

Buy a 10 gun safe.

DO NOT buy a 3 gun safe. you are wasting your time/money.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bonibags » 07 Aug 2017, 10:07 am

I really like the look of ome of the sporterised .303-25's.

Thoughts?
Bonibags
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by ausbushman » 07 Aug 2017, 10:47 am

knowsnothin wrote:'I am likely only to ever be able to buy one firearm.'

we understand.

Buy a 10 gun safe.

DO NOT buy a 3 gun safe. you are wasting your time/money.

Exactly hahaaaa, maybe I am a nut :roll:
ausbushman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 07 Aug 2017, 10:53 am

I'd start with 22lr its stupid cheep to shoot and can pick your self up some not bad priced rifles new or second hand. Start about $300 new for Chinese norinco and go up from there, obivously the more you spend the higher quality it is. And you can always sell it later. 22 mag is great cartrige but ammo prices are about as much as cheap .223 so look at ammo costs before you purchase. Depends on what you want to use it for, how much you want to spend and what quality you want.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Pythonkeeper » 07 Aug 2017, 10:59 am

The humble 12 gauge is quite versatile, it can be loaded up or down depending on size of game, has its limitations though but is a great all rounder.
Pretty much impossible to have one rifle that covers everything though, you would need a bare minimum of 3-4, a rimfire or 12 gauge (preferably both), 20-22 cal centrefire, 25-30 cal centrefire, then once you have all these they still won't be enough....you'll need a short barrel this for the scrub, a long range that for reaching out etc....quit now while you still can.. ;)
Kind of like on the fishing forums, 'Which Rod and Reel Should I Buy for an Allrounder?', not possible.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Aug 2017, 11:06 am

Bonibags wrote:Hi There

I'm about to start the process of getting a rifle license. I was wanting to set my sites (pardon the pun) early on the rifle I would like to get. I am likely only to ever be able to buy one firearm, so herein lies the dilemma.

Once my license app was approved Id like to purchase a secondhand .357 Magnum Marlin or Rossi lever action as this would fire heaver .357 for close shots on larger game without massive recoil and .38 special in lighter loads for lighter game.The other thought was a Marlin 30-30 but this would be too large for rabbits and there are more efficient cartridges like .243 if I was going to go that large.

If you want to only own one caliber then you will have to load your own to get the versatility from it.
My choice would be 7mm-08 as it lets you take everything from rabbit up to Sambar. If you have no intention of hunting the big deer, or can borrow something just for that, I would go with .243.
You can load .243 right down to .22LR performance. If you cast your own bullets you can even run it at .22LR costs.

But, I would never suggest a pistol cartridge as having versatility, at least not for hunting or target shooting. You can load lots and lots of big stuff down to .357 performance, but you can't load .357 Magnum up to .35 Whelen. And certainly not a lever action - go with a bolt rifle.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Aug 2017, 11:07 am

Bonibags wrote:I really like the look of ome of the sporterised .303-25's.

Thoughts?

My thoughts, are you buying it to look at or to use?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bonibags » 07 Aug 2017, 11:13 am

Perhaps I should just start with a decent .303 Mk4 1, then a .22 of some sort. I need to get my license first lol
Bonibags
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Aug 2017, 11:23 am

Bonibags wrote:Perhaps I should just start with a decent .303 Mk4 1, then a .22 of some sort. I need to get my license first lol

Get your licence application underway. I don't know if Qld lets you lodge the PtA's with your application. Down here we can, so it's good to know what you want so you can pick up your rifles as soon as you pick up your licence.
I have a No4 Mk1* and it is a fun rifle to play with, but there are much better rifles depending on your goals. For hunting, the .303 cartridge will do the job, but it's very limited in bullet choice, is heavy, long, awkward and not comfortable in my opinion. It's also difficult to mount a scope or bipod. And it's very unlikely to give you the out-of-the-box accuracy of any of the $700 hunting rifles on the market nowadays.

Have you done any shooting at all?
If not, then I would strongly suggest starting out with a .22LR and do as much shooting as you possibly can.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ausbushman » 07 Aug 2017, 11:37 am

Bonibags wrote:Perhaps I should just start with a decent .303 Mk4 1, then a .22 of some sort. I need to get my license first lol

See your already contemplating 2 :lol:
ausbushman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 07 Aug 2017, 11:49 am

rabbit guns for sale right now:
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=105149
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=102287
or you can buy a norinco/puma 22lr brand new for about $300

303 for sale right now
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=105491
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=105457
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=104378
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=103811

12g for sale right now:
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=101903
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=105234
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=105150

There is also a second hand 357mag Lever for sale at $650. Any combination of the the three above, as Bentaz says, will cost you less than that one secondhand lever.
Ok; they wont be the prettiest, fanciest firearms anyone ever owned but you'll be a damned sight better equipped to deal with various game than with one 357mag Lever.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Aug 2017, 12:04 pm

:lol: One gun.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

But of I had only one it would be a 12g shorty.

12g, 22rf, 223, 308/303, will cover 95% of requirements for hunting.

Ever see a golfer with one club?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bonibags » 07 Aug 2017, 1:14 pm

Thanks for such a great response guys. I will be booking my safety course for October and hopefully have my application submitted in the new year. I have a lot to think about as far as what I'd like to hunt is concerned. I would like to hunt pigs and dear, but I'll check out each of links included above thanks Gwion.
Bonibags
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by scoobs » 07 Aug 2017, 4:53 pm

everyone says only 1 gun. then they end up with 1 of each gun. same thing yeah? ill also say 243, or maybe even 7mm08?
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 07 Aug 2017, 6:50 pm

Suprised more folks aren't pushing the 223 - bloody fantastic all-rounder and pretty cheap to run (for a centerfire). Very cheap if you roll your own. Of course a 22lr is the no-brainer to practice up on though - absolutely love my 22 :drinks: get a 22 IMO
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Aug 2017, 6:55 pm

Yeah, the 223.is fantastic.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 07 Aug 2017, 7:43 pm

Powder costs about the same as projectiles so there is bit of saving.My .222 loads are under 50 cents .243 about 85 cents and 7mm is around $2
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 07 Aug 2017, 11:09 pm

I scored packets of 100 Remington 50gn PSP for $17.95
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 07 Aug 2017, 11:43 pm

Simple question and a simple answer....... a half decent 223.

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 08 Aug 2017, 1:12 am

Your most versatile cartridge is going to be a shotgun cartridge, the 12 gauge in particular. In rifle cartridges I'll say the 308 Winchester or the 30/06 comes next, however they will be way overkill on small, really small, game.

Of the three cartridges you listed in your post, I'd go for the 243 Winchester. But I encourage you to get a good 22LR rifle as well.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by scotty87 » 08 Aug 2017, 5:11 am

Most versatile calibre to a new shooter would have to be .223 in 1 in 9 twist. Cheap factory ammo for learning to shoot at different ranges and capable of taking game up to medium size pigs and smaller deer spcies. Neglible recoil, cheap and varied factory ammo, cheap and wide selection of projectile and component choice for reloading.

You'll own way more than one gun.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 08 Aug 2017, 6:08 am

Due to my financial capabilities not quite matching my firearms ambitions I only had one rifle for several years. .a model 70 featherweight classic in .243. Great range of factory ammo available for different applications but as others have correctly stated if you have little or no experience get a .22lr to learn the basics. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 08 Aug 2017, 7:35 am

You could get a combination rifle with a 12 gauge and 223 barrels.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by straightshooter » 08 Aug 2017, 8:14 am

Bonibags wrote:Hi There

Bonibags
I think your choice of a 357 lever action for a beginner owning only one gun is quite astute. I would be less inclined to a 30.30 but would suggest a 44 magnum may be an even better choice and would choose a Marlin over a Rossi.
If you are concerned about recoil then I can tell you that my son was shooting full power loads from a 44 magnum Marlin when he was 12. I admit we all have different sensitivities to recoil and muzzle blast.
These cartridges are fun to use, quite flexible and cheap to run. If you you ever graduate to handloading and bullet casting then you will have it made. In either you will then be able to produce subsonic (quiet) loads that emulate a 22 or 22 magnum only with more effective terminal ballistics. Alternatively with full power loads you can take most larger game and you would have 10 shots available. Admittedly you would be restricted to about 150 meter ranges and you would be at a severe disadvantage in wide open country so that means you would have to learn effective hunting methods.
Another advantage is the barrels will last 25000 rounds and more if you keep them properly clean, for possibly a lifetime of shooting from just the one gun.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles