Most versatile cartridge for a new shooter

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Most versatile cartridge for a new shooter

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Aug 2017, 9:59 am

Buy a min 14-18 gun safe, trust me you'll fill it sooner or later. I guess if I only bought one cal it would probably be something along the lines of a 270.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by in2anity » 08 Aug 2017, 10:45 am

sungazer wrote:I have looked at the 223 many many times from a preppers point it is a good caliber to have being NATO and a lot of ammunition for it available in times of trouble. Then I start looking at the price of projectiles and find them very similar to 308 offerings. Where do you see the savings to be made?. Also a good range of projectile weights and purpose's is a consideration to me. Such as sierras Match King, Pro hunter, Game King, blitzer, Varmiter bullet types. Most manufacturers have something similar just need to check bullet weights are available in each range.

223 for example a common twist rate for hunting is 12 only allowing shooting up to 50gn for longer range 80grn all the way down to 8 twist may be required.

A 308 with a 10 twist will do everything from the 110 grain up to 215 perhaps a 1-11 may be better for the lighter but not really be a problem

Dunno where you're getting your info mate - 22 projectiles are much cheaper than 30cal. They are 1/4 to 1/3 the weight! Do the math! :huh:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 08 Aug 2017, 1:04 pm

If I absolutely could only have one gun and had to shoot anything bigger than a fox, it would be a 243win. Loaded down with light bullets or fully charged with heavy bullets. Pretty versatile.

But as it is, I'm happy with my 22lr, 223rem & 7-08 choice to cover just about anything I am likely to target.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Dunxy » 08 Aug 2017, 5:47 pm

I cant really add anything useful, but i must say, "only one gun" it doesn't work that way!

This was me earlier in the year:
First i was looking at a 3gun safe, 1 x .22 1 x air rifle and a milsurp says me....but then i found too many milsurps i simply must have!
5 was never an option after this.
I then filled (in my mind) a 10 gun safe pretty quickly!
So i ended up with a 14 gun unit :)
Don't go cheap new safe, the units with folded sheetmetal doors with no filling or inner skin can be pried very easily, a mate has one (for ammo) and he showed me how easy these are to defeat and INSISTED i not buy crap.The unit i purchased used weighs well in excess of 200kg,fire proof blah blah and cost about the same as a dirt cheap brand new 10 gun safe and the door alone weighs more than one of these cheap 10 gun safes. Ebay/gumtree is your friend! I got a separate decent sized fireproof safe for ammo,mint condition, for $10 of gumtree.
Buy once cry once they say and i agree.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles