Canadian .303 mk8?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Canadian .303 mk8?

Post by Gun-nut » 12 Aug 2017, 11:28 am

I was cleaning through the safe the other day when I found a few boxes of .303 British labelled mk8z. The cardboard box that held these rounds are also labelled "CDN", so I'm assuming this is Canadian surplus? Upon closer inspection of the brass, it seems they're dated from 92' and are stamped IVI. Can anyone confirm my suspicions? And if anyone knows anything about this ammo, can someone tell me whether its corrosive or not (being built in the 90s I highly doubt that it is) and what bullet weight they utilise (174 grain like the mk7?). Any help would be much appreciated and I thank you in advance for your response.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Canadian .303 mk8?

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Aug 2017, 12:00 pm

G'day Gun-nut,
Yes, it is Canadian production by Industries Valcartier Industries. This should be Boxer primed and therefore non-corrosive. Mk 8z is loaded with the std 303 174g boat tail projectile for MG use and was a favourite with Canadian full bore shooters, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 12 Aug 2017, 1:47 pm

Thanks for the reply no1 mk3, I knew you'd pull through once again. :D
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 13 Aug 2017, 9:48 am

I have the Israeli version of the Mk.8 303, same load data (174grn boat-tail, cordite) but bloody hell does that stuff kick for a .303 :shock:.

I've still got a couple of clips left but I handed a couple to my brother while he was trying to shoot prone + off hand. We were just trying out different rounds from the mixed ammo box and upon hearing "God bloody owwwww!" My arse was lost due to so much laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Return to Centerfire rifles