Best Black Powder Target Rifle for Beginner

Black powder rifles and pistols, reloading black powder, and other information. The smoky stuff.

Best Black Powder Target Rifle for Beginner

Post by brett1868 » 14 Aug 2017, 12:52 pm

I've been thinking about having a crack at some black powder shooting and seeking advice and recommendations on what I need to get started. Thinking something with target sights for 100-300yd shooting, percussion cap, muzzle loaded and quality rifle as I'm not overly worried about paying for quality.

Ideas and suggestions please.....and I'm looking in your direction Noisy :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Best Black Powder Target Rifle for Beginner

Post by Apollo » 14 Aug 2017, 1:01 pm

1874 Sharps Quigley and a Bucket. :thumbsup:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 14 Aug 2017, 1:10 pm

A Whitworth .45 would do the job. One of our members uses one from time to time for gongs to 600 yards. I think pedersoli makes on. Forbes Wholesale is go to supplier.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 14 Aug 2017, 1:18 pm

Apollo wrote:1874 Sharps Quigley and a Bucket. :thumbsup:

Sharps rifles would be way easier to find. One of the prime reasons I'm hooked on BP is that you get to routinely use rifles and calibers that most folks have never even heard of let alone own and shoot.
Once you've built up bit of a fleet of BP toys your modern ones rarely see the light of day because bolt action .223s, .308s etc just don't have the fun factor that BP does!
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 14 Aug 2017, 3:27 pm

the Pedersoli “John Bodine” is popular; double set trigger, 30” barrel, supplied with a creedmoor sight as standard
Last edited by in2anity on 14 Aug 2017, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 14 Aug 2017, 3:35 pm

bentaz wrote:Why dont you get a cannon?

Coz he "300 meters" not kilometres :-)
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 14 Aug 2017, 3:59 pm

Coz he "300 meters" not kilometres :-)
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Aug 2017, 5:28 pm

G'day brett1868,
If you can find one, then a Hawkin Arms(NZ) Hawken 45 would be a very good choice for accuracy and reliability. Unlike most "originals" Tony used coil springs in his actions to give a very smooth and consistent trigger pull and hammer fall. I have one of his rifles and I love it. Sadly Tony passed away some years ago but his rifles can still be found. The Thompson-Centre Arms Hawken is also a good accurate shooter. Both are designed for the Minie, but will also shoot ball reasonably well (call that minute of pig at 80 yards) and will take a heavy charge for distance or energy, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 14 Aug 2017, 11:02 pm

Spoilt for choices....I spoke to some uninterested guy at Forbes long enough to find out they have a couple Pedersoli Whitworth rifles in stock. Magnums is an agent and Andrew owes me a favour so I might go that path as it offers the least resistance. I had a quick look on YouTube and the Whitworth @ 100m grouped as well as the AI50, pretty sure it can't match it for distance but still damn impressive any account. I'll do some research on the other suggestions prior to locking in the Whitworth. I'm having to pull my head in a bit financially due the death of my father in-law last week and the princess heading OS nest week to help her mum out. With some luck I can get the mother in-law into Aus under compassionate grounds or at least on a 2 yr tourist visa.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Aug 2017, 11:08 pm

Yeah, and don't fook around, get a 6" one. You can afford the BP and lead. :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Aug 2017, 11:14 pm

"With some luck I can get the mother in-law into Aus under compassionate grounds or at least on a 2 yr tourist visa."

Do that and you can toss out the gimp mask, hand cuffs, whip and chains. :violin:
Cost a small fortune to convert the dungeon into a granny flat too. :thumbsdown:

But look on the bright side, more time loading, making 6" cannon balls and shooting. :D
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 14 Aug 2017, 11:22 pm

I saw this one but think it's a bit small and the other guns will pick on it :)

Canon.jpg
Canon.jpg (91.31 KiB) Viewed 6773 times

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=106363
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 14 Aug 2017, 11:25 pm

in2anity wrote:the Pedersoli “John Bodine” is popular; double set trigger, 30” barrel, supplied with a creedmoor sight as standard

Very nice looking rifle but I'm specifically wanting an older style :thumbsup:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 14 Aug 2017, 11:33 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Yeah, and don't fook around, get a 6" one. You can afford the BP and lead. :thumbsup:

Apparently the reason the NSW registry is so slow processing PTA's is that every time they pull my file someone puts their back out and goes off on compo :( I have thought to built a bowling ball canon....saw one on Pawn Stars a while back and anything that propels a 12lb ball over 300yds has earned its place in my safe. Less typing, I've got brass to get out of the wash and into the dryer before bed....
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Aug 2017, 12:26 pm

Brett,

The Pedersoli "John Bodine" is a copy of the original Remington Rolling block, both it and the 1874 Sharps are cartridge rifles. The Sharps 1859 and 1863 models are percussion but breech loaded with paper cartridges.
The Whitworth is a percussion cap, muzzle loader. They are an accurate rifle and a bit unusual in that they have a hexagonal bore.
They can be a bit finicky to get shooting as you have to get the bullet right. You can load them with a soft lead bullet that will bump up into the hexagonal bore when fired. I have seen bullets cast from a hexagonal mold for one but most folks just get a standard bullet to shoot.

The Buffalo Rifle Association will be holding our monthly shoot at Cooyal, near Mudgee on the weekend of 26-27th August. We shoot mainly black-powder cartridge but welcome muzzle loaders. If you were interested in coming out and having a go, PM me and I'll bring an extra rifle for you. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 15 Aug 2017, 2:26 pm

Maybe compromise on the cannon a little bit.

Something sensible like a 2bore with 3,500 grain slugs should be about right :mrgreen:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 17 Aug 2017, 6:07 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Brett,

The Pedersoli "John Bodine" is a copy of the original Remington Rolling block, both it and the 1874 Sharps are cartridge rifles. The Sharps 1859 and 1863 models are percussion but breech loaded with paper cartridges.
The Whitworth is a percussion cap, muzzle loader. They are an accurate rifle and a bit unusual in that they have a hexagonal bore.
They can be a bit finicky to get shooting as you have to get the bullet right. You can load them with a soft lead bullet that will bump up into the hexagonal bore when fired. I have seen bullets cast from a hexagonal mold for one but most folks just get a standard bullet to shoot.

The Buffalo Rifle Association will be holding our monthly shoot at Cooyal, near Mudgee on the weekend of 26-27th August. We shoot mainly black-powder cartridge but welcome muzzle loaders. If you were interested in coming out and having a go, PM me and I'll bring an extra rifle for you. :thumbsup:

Nice looking rifle but I'm set on a front stuffer and actually saw Andrew today and pulled the trigger on buying the Whitworth. The Colonial Muzzle Loaders club isn't too far away so I'll sign up there and get properly schooled in the dark powder arts. Ordered a couple moulds as well to get me started and will pick up a few other accessories from Midway Aus during the week. Next mission will be to source the hexagonal mould and a lube recipe so I can get started on making bullets.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Aug 2017, 6:52 pm

mobile 087.jpg
mobile 087.jpg (122.7 KiB) Viewed 6328 times

mobile 088.jpg
mobile 088.jpg (101.75 KiB) Viewed 6328 times

I've only got the one ... It's a 1977 Euroarms 50 cal.

In hindsight I whish thaf I hat bought one with a tighter twist. Mines only good for round balls.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Noisydad » 18 Aug 2017, 5:29 am

Man you're going to have so much fun researching and messing around with loads and lubes! Shooting BP is a process rather than an event.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 18 Aug 2017, 2:58 pm

Noisydad wrote:Man you're going to have so much fun researching and messing around with loads and lubes! Shooting BP is a process rather than an event.

Black powder has been one of those things I've been meaning to try since I was a teenager and my old mate John Kell from the Colonial Gunshop used to regale me with stories of his exploits with black powder. Now that I've ticked off most of the firearms related activities from my bucket list I'm onto this next challenge. I have to admit the rifle is strangely attractive, and nothing like the usual tacticool hipster mass death machines I'm drawn to. Might be middle age creeping in where I have to hang out with old things in order to appear younger....

Whitworth.JPG
Whitworth.JPG (19.98 KiB) Viewed 5566 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 18 Aug 2017, 5:34 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
mobile 087.jpg

mobile 088.jpg

I've only got the one ... It's a 1977 Euroarms 50 cal.

In hindsight I whish thaf I hat bought one with a tighter twist. Mines only good for round balls.

Those photos are effin sensational. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Black powder shooting