.338LM PTA hoops in QLD?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

.338LM PTA hoops in QLD?

Post by andreweden » 15 Aug 2017, 9:40 pm

Keen to hear from anyone that has jumped through all the hoops to get a .338LM PTA approved in QLD.

I heard you basically have to go to Wattle Creek and show you compete there.

I have 100 hectare farm up past Kingaroy as well.

Any experiences good or bad would be great to hear.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: .338LM PTA hoops in QLD?

Post by RoginaJack » 18 Aug 2017, 7:58 pm

I'd suggest give WLB a ring and explain the situation but I cant see any problems, just depending on your intended use and needs.

The only weapon I can see that is mentioned by calibre is under Cat R weapons -
(c) a firearm capable of firing 50 calibre BMG cartridge ammunition

Interesting?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Aug 2017, 8:35 pm

RoginaJack wrote:I'd suggest give WLB a ring and explain the situation but I cant see any problems, just depending on your intended use and needs.

Interesting?

It's not a weapon, it's a firearm! :roll:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 18 Aug 2017, 8:56 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:I'd suggest give WLB a ring and explain the situation but I cant see any problems, just depending on your intended use and needs.

Interesting?

In the legislation up here they are referred to as weapons(just another way to make them sound scary) it's something we want to change :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Aug 2017, 9:23 pm

Daddybang wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Interesting?

In the legislation up here they are referred to as weapons(just another way to make them sound scary) it's something we want to change :drinks:

Spot on, that's why we don't play their game, we know they are firearms and should refer to them as such. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by inervate » 19 Aug 2017, 9:44 am

bigfellascott wrote:It's not a weapon, it's a firearm! :roll:

Recreational sporting equipment ;)
Weatherby Varmintmaster .224 Wby Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter Fluted 30-06
Marlin 57M Levermatic .22 Win Mag
inervate
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 19 Aug 2017, 11:03 am

yes, boys and girls, I realise that - it's a firearm but in qld the regs refer to them as "weapons" and I quoted the regs., only for accuracy.
:friends:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Aug 2017, 11:29 am

RoginaJack wrote:yes, boys and girls, I realise that - it's a firearm but in qld the regs refer to them as "weapons" and I quoted the regs., only for accuracy.
:friends:

Your playing along with their agenda if you refer to them as weapons as that's what they want people to view them as thereby keeping them as something to fear. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by andreweden » 19 Aug 2017, 11:57 am

Really?? What a waste of time that argument is. Has anyone actually gone through the PTA in QLD for a .338LM or are you just that paranoid about the words used to describe our rifles!?!? Hope you have your foil pointy hats on when you typed all that. THEY are coming for you if you didn't.....better check your microwave oven hasn't been turned into a listening device.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sako308 » 19 Aug 2017, 2:02 pm

A mate finally got issued his PTA after 5months from application. 3 property letters of large cattle properties in both SEQ and CQ, as well as a letter from Bruce and Wendy at WGP and WLB still dragged their heels as much as they possibly could. Its not a quick process but isn't impossible.

Good luck.
Sako308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 19 Aug 2017, 3:20 pm

:allegedly: Yeah, whatever... :roll:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 19 Aug 2017, 3:26 pm

Honestly does anyone think calling them weapons as opposed to firearms will make a difference. When people correct me I want it to become a weapon an buttstroke them. Same as the magazine/ clip argument . I know what you mean but who gives a s**t.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sako308 » 21 Aug 2017, 11:51 am

RoginaJack wrote::allegedly: Yeah, whatever... :roll:

Allegedly, what??
Sako308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 21 Aug 2017, 5:44 pm

Sako308 wrote:A mate finally got issued his PTA after 5months from application. 3 property letters of large cattle properties in both SEQ and CQ, as well as a letter from Bruce and Wendy at WGP and WLB still dragged their heels as much as they possibly could. Its not a quick process but isn't impossible.

Good luck.

So did all the supporting info go in at the start and it just took 5 months or was there back and forth with WLB? I did my Cat H last year so I am good at biding my time!
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sako308 » 22 Aug 2017, 9:37 am

andreweden wrote:
Sako308 wrote:A mate finally got issued his PTA after 5months from application. 3 property letters of large cattle properties in both SEQ and CQ, as well as a letter from Bruce and Wendy at WGP and WLB still dragged their heels as much as they possibly could. Its not a quick process but isn't impossible.

Good luck.

So did all the supporting info go in at the start and it just took 5 months or was there back and forth with WLB? I did my Cat H last year so I am good at biding my time!

Two of the letters went in originally with the app (being his property details and his parents), then some back and forth, he supplied the third property details and the WGP letter, 2 months later his PTA was then approved. The single property and range letter should have been more than sufficient to start with.
Sako308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 22 Aug 2017, 6:57 pm

A question about Wattle Creek, what do you go there and shoot on their one a month shoot for the big stuff when you don't have one but need to attend to be able to get your letter in support of PTA to be able to get something to shoot? Are they just a really friendly bunch that don't mind total strangers having a shoot with their $6/round ammo?
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jakethefake » 02 Sep 2017, 8:18 pm

The second part of the word firearm is "arm" which means weapon. Calling people out for referring to guns as weapons instead of firearms is pointless on two counts - one being that firearm means weapon anyway, and because we, as free individuals, should be allowed to own weapons.
Jakethefake
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles