No5 Jungle Carbine Barrel Replacement

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

No5 Jungle Carbine Barrel Replacement

Post by Jakethefake » 16 Aug 2017, 8:44 am

My old man has a No5 jungle carbine, overall in good condition except the barrel is stuffed. Real nasty pitting about halfway down the bore. He bought it way back when they were cheap, and has never used it because of the barrel. I'd love to get it shooting again. Does anyone know if its remotely possible to get a replacement? Dad said he enquired years ago at the army disposal shop in town and they had some then, but I checked with recently and surprise surprise, they don't any more.
If its impossible to find them anymore, would it be possible to have someone like TSE or Allan Swan make a new one?
Jakethefake
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: No5 Jungle Carbine Barrel Replacement

Post by bladeracer » 16 Aug 2017, 10:11 am

Jakethefake wrote:My old man has a No5 jungle carbine, overall in good condition except the barrel is stuffed. Real nasty pitting about halfway down the bore. He bought it way back when they were cheap, and has never used it because of the barrel. I'd love to get it shooting again. Does anyone know if its remotely possible to get a replacement? Dad said he enquired years ago at the army disposal shop in town and they had some then, but I checked with recently and surprise surprise, they don't any more.
If its impossible to find them anymore, would it be possible to have someone like TSE or Allan Swan make a new one?

I'd see how it shoots before replacing the barrel.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 16 Aug 2017, 1:42 pm

G'day Jakethefake,
No5 barrels pop up now and then, usually used, but there was a new one at the last Melbourne gun show, not cheap. Before lashing out the dough, as bladeracer said, shoot the rifle to check it's performance, and if needed then get a good No4 barrel and have it shortened. Your flash hider will need to be modified, or the barrel machined to suit. Understand that any collectability, and therefore value, will be affected, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 16 Aug 2017, 2:08 pm

Could try this bloke he's usually got a few barrels laying around

http://www.t-boneshipwrighting.com.au
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Jakethefake » 16 Aug 2017, 7:26 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I'd like to try shooting it but I'm not game. I wish I had a borescope to get a better look, but it looks really bad, about halfway up it actually looks like there's a hole in the barrel.
Jakethefake
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gun-nut » 16 Aug 2017, 8:53 pm

Numerich in the US had some new no5 barrels a while ago, maybe check them out and see if they ship to Aus.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Aug 2017, 6:14 am

G'day Gun-nut,
Numrich won't ship barrels, too much paperwork for them. In fact I believe they are cutting out all International shipping.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 17 Aug 2017, 4:26 pm

Thats a shame, they seem to be a good source for enfield parts.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rocker » 19 Aug 2017, 9:56 am

bladeracer wrote:I'd see how it shoots before replacing the barrel.

Funny how that works, you do sometimes see some of these surplus rifles with what look like trainwreck barrels but they shoot straight.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles