Quality left handed rifles

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Quality left handed rifles

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Aug 2017, 11:45 am

Yeah your dead right bigfella the 25-06 roughteck is a A7 of sorts with a 26'' barrel and i had to bed the barrel
With the plastic stock i couldn't stop the barrel from moving up to 2mm even if it was locked down tight
Problem was i couldn't get a gunsmith to glass bed it because they said the epoxy wouldn't take to the plastic so i done it myself 2yr old and still going
Now this was a fault in the M85 22-250 as well so i glass bedded it , this seems to be one of the bad traits sako is develloping now because the old sako's never
had that problem
Its caused by the free movement on the steel base plate and over sized hole on the holding down screws at the front and the only way to remedy it would be to bush the holes or bed the barrel

I don't know about you mate but when i buy a rifle for that sort of money i don't want to spend more money to get it to shoot other wise i would build one much like
people are starting to do

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Aug 2017, 11:55 am

Sorry forgot your question about spending $1000 the anwser is ''NO''
give beretta 12mths and there will be no difference between either only price because there is very little now as far as shooting goes and not much in looks
either
The way i see it the manufacturing line for sako quality is 100mtrs long and for tikka its 99mtrs so only slightly less finish

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Aug 2017, 12:26 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Yeah your dead right bigfella the 25-06 roughteck is a A7 of sorts with a 26'' barrel and i had to bed the barrel
With the plastic stock i couldn't stop the barrel from moving up to 2mm even if it was locked down tight
Problem was i couldn't get a gunsmith to glass bed it because they said the epoxy wouldn't take to the plastic so i done it myself 2yr old and still going
Now this was a fault in the M85 22-250 as well so i glass bedded it , this seems to be one of the bad traits sako is develloping now because the old sako's never
had that problem
Its caused by the free movement on the steel base plate and over sized hole on the holding down screws at the front and the only way to remedy it would be to bush the holes or bed the barrel

I don't know about you mate but when i buy a rifle for that sort of money i don't want to spend more money to get it to shoot other wise i would build one much like
people are starting to do

Cheers

I'm hearing ya mate - you spend too $$ you expect it too perform better than the cheaper stuff which you expect will need some tinkering to make it better, annoying when you pay top $$ and the have too spend more to sort it out so it shoots right.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Aug 2017, 12:29 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Sorry forgot your question about spending $1000 the anwser is ''NO''
give beretta 12mths and there will be no difference between either only price because there is very little now as far as shooting goes and not much in looks
either
The way i see it the manufacturing line for sako quality is 100mtrs long and for tikka its 99mtrs so only slightly less finish

Cheers

Cheers mate I feel the same way - there really isn't a great diff between em from my experience in owning both brands - not enough for me to be able too justify the extra costs anyway.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Aug 2017, 6:04 pm

Regarding quality and manufacturing you always pay a lot for a bit extra. That's just how it is, firearms, cars, whatever.
With modern manufacturing even the majority of the cheap firearms are heaps better than great firearms made 25 years ago.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Aug 2017, 6:12 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Regarding quality and manufacturing you always pay a lot for a bit extra. That's just how it is, firearms, cars, whatever.
With modern manufacturing even the majority of the cheap firearms are heaps better than great firearms made 25 years ago.

Very true things have changed greatly over the years where you had to pay through the nose for a reliability/performance but these days you can get great results for a lot less, it may not be as refined as the expensive stuff but performs just as well for a fraction of the cost.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Aug 2017, 6:26 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Regarding quality and manufacturing you always pay a lot for a bit extra. That's just how it is, firearms, cars, whatever.

Very true things have changed greatly over the years where you had to pay through the nose for a reliability/performance but these days you can get great results for a lot less, it may not be as refined as the expensive stuff but performs just as well for a fraction of the cost.

Precisely.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Aug 2017, 7:38 pm

Exactly ,for the extra you pay for the prettiness of it, is nothing for the shooting ability of it so the old ''KISS TRICK''
''Keep it simple stupid'' is the way to go
If your keen on extra good quality only one way to go ''BUILD'' then you've got what you want and if you work your head you'll
do it for much the same or just a little more than you would pay for a good quality rifle with the chance you may not like it as much as you thought

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Aug 2017, 7:57 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Exactly ,for the extra you pay for the prettiness of it, is nothing for the shooting ability of it so the old ''KISS TRICK''
''Keep it simple stupid'' is the way to go
If your keen on extra good quality only one way to go ''BUILD'' then you've got what you want and if you work your head you'll
do it for much the same or just a little more than you would pay for a good quality rifle with the chance you may not like it as much as you thought

Cheers

It's funny you mention the custom route, mate went the custom job and loves it (rem action) cost him around $3k or there abouts and shoots amazingly, way better than any factory offering does as a rule. He loves those who shell out $6K plus for their TRG's only to find they don't shoot anywhere near as well as his cheaper offering.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 23 Aug 2017, 8:06 pm

3K should get you an accurate as custom rifle
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Aug 2017, 8:19 pm

Yep the big TRG's a few blokes i know have bought them and 2 out of the 3 have been sold again just shows how good they are
Also with that sort of money you could build yourself 2 good rifles and scope them well
Thats the way i'd go

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Aug 2017, 8:29 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Yep the big TRG's a few blokes i know have bought them and 2 out of the 3 have been sold again just shows how good they are
Also with that sort of money you could build yourself 2 good rifles and scope them well
Thats the way i'd go

Cheers

Yeah everyone thinks cos you buy an expensive rifle it will turn you into a great shooter - so often it's not the case sadly. Redback engineering does great work from my understanding he would probably be my choice if I went custom.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 23 Aug 2017, 8:53 pm

I feel I was fortunate when I randomly purchased my Remington Sendero off a coworker as it has turned out to be very accurate in 7mm Rem Mag.I learned later the company built this rifle for long range shooting on medium to large game and this made it a good target shooter as well.26 inch heavy fluted barrel and he fully floated it.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Aug 2017, 9:08 pm

Yeah you're dead right bigfella the sales man tells them it will be more accurate for them so they buy it
I done much the same thing i was looking for a 7mm or 300 but was talked down and ended up buying the 25-06 all 3 were sako's
i wish i had stuck with either the 7mm or the 300 mainly for knock down power because with the 25-06 shot placement is crucial
more so than the other two
Not that the 25-06 is no good ,it shoots .3-.5 with matchking and .5-.7 with soft nose spitzers all 100gr'ers, It's just the hitting power
i need for the scrub bulls because what shot you get, take it or miss out and thats no good for me because they're pests and they cause a lot of
fence damage ,they just walk straight through fences

Anyway Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Aug 2017, 9:15 pm

Yeh duncan61 sounds like a good buy you're making me envy you now because i should have stuck with athe 7mm or 300 myself
my 25-06 sako has a 26'' barrel also fluted i've only put 150rounds through it but realise i need a bigger caliber to do my job
on the scrubbers

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Aug 2017, 10:46 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Yeah you're dead right bigfella the sales man tells them it will be more accurate for them so they buy it
I done much the same thing i was looking for a 7mm or 300 but was talked down and ended up buying the 25-06 all 3 were sako's
i wish i had stuck with either the 7mm or the 300 mainly for knock down power because with the 25-06 shot placement is crucial
more so than the other two
Not that the 25-06 is no good ,it shoots .3-.5 with matchking and .5-.7 with soft nose spitzers all 100gr'ers, It's just the hitting power
i need for the scrub bulls because what shot you get, take it or miss out and thats no good for me because they're pests and they cause a lot of
fence damage ,they just walk straight through fences

Anyway Cheers

What the hell was the salesperson thinking telling you the 25-06 was a better option than the other 2 for scrub bulls? :shock:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Aug 2017, 10:50 pm

duncan61 wrote:I feel I was fortunate when I randomly purchased my Remington Sendero off a coworker as it has turned out to be very accurate in 7mm Rem Mag.I learned later the company built this rifle for long range shooting on medium to large game and this made it a good target shooter as well.26 inch heavy fluted barrel and he fully floated it.

Nothing wrong with the Sendero's as a rule, I was watching a vid of Nathan Foster using one on pigs or goats out to around 700m or more from memory, pretty sure it was a 7mm Rem Mag, certainly poleaxed em big time. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 23 Aug 2017, 11:34 pm

I can still justify getting a .416 Rigby for Africa.The 7mm Rem is good for all the plains antelope even the really big suckers like Eland and Gemsbok but the safari outfitter will insist upon a big game cartridge for the big 5.I one shot killed a water Buffalo in the N.T. and shot a wild bull on our hill block front on and it hydrauliced and I removed the 175gn failsafe from its hips.All the organs were mush so its got a bit of get up and go and the recoil is O.K. just dont plan to shoot 50 a day
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Aug 2017, 12:51 am

Well bigfella i think it was a case of get rid of the rifles on the shelf rather than order in new ones
I thought it might have handled them with 120gr or 117gr but the 1-10 twist don't like anything over 105gr, tried everything and no go
so 100gr it was
I do know a bloke that has a 1-10 twist and he gets about 1.5moa with 117gr sst's but mine won't 3'' at best
I used to use a 303 but the barrel is shot out and decided to buy a new rifle should have rebarreled it although its in bad shape alround
and would cost the price of a new one to fix
I might just sell the 25-06 while its still new and up grade to a 7mm or 300 same type Roughteck Range sako A7 they have gone up in price
a little since i bought this one so i'll have to add a bit to it, its a shame but i'm a lot wiser for the experience

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Aug 2017, 5:06 am

grandadbushy wrote:Well bigfella i think it was a case of get rid of the rifles on the shelf rather than order in new ones
I thought it might have handled them with 120gr or 117gr but the 1-10 twist don't like anything over 105gr, tried everything and no go
so 100gr it was
I do know a bloke that has a 1-10 twist and he gets about 1.5moa with 117gr sst's but mine won't 3'' at best
I used to use a 303 but the barrel is shot out and decided to buy a new rifle should have rebarreled it although its in bad shape alround
and would cost the price of a new one to fix
I might just sell the 25-06 while its still new and up grade to a 7mm or 300 same type Roughteck Range sako A7 they have gone up in price
a little since i bought this one so i'll have to add a bit to it, its a shame but i'm a lot wiser for the experience

Cheers

I'm hearing ya mate, once bitten twice shy here too. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Aug 2017, 5:11 am

duncan61 wrote:I can still justify getting a .416 Rigby for Africa.The 7mm Rem is good for all the plains antelope even the really big suckers like Eland and Gemsbok but the safari outfitter will insist upon a big game cartridge for the big 5.I one shot killed a water Buffalo in the N.T. and shot a wild bull on our hill block front on and it hydrauliced and I removed the 175gn failsafe from its hips.All the organs were mush so its got a bit of get up and go and the recoil is O.K. just dont plan to shoot 50 a day

7mm Rems sure do get the job done well hey :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Aug 2017, 6:54 pm

Cut it out you pair i'm getting all sooky and teary hearing about the 7mm's after not getting one instead of the 25-06 ( LOL)
Booo Hooo!

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Aug 2017, 7:27 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Cut it out you pair i'm getting all sooky and teary hearing about the 7mm's after not getting one instead of the 25-06 ( LOL)
Booo Hooo!

Cheers

:D it's an easy prob to fix.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Aug 2017, 8:19 pm

YEP! almost too easy will have to sell the 25-06 first and realy don't want to part with it either but it would be the one to sell because its still
new or there abouts only done ammo developement and a few more prob 150 rounds
Member-Deleted

Post by duncan61 » 25 Aug 2017, 12:52 am

would fitting a different barrel work in say 30/06
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Aug 2017, 10:01 am

Most likely would i've got a model 2000 mauser werke' 30-06 that i rebarreled to 22-250 could only shoot 1 at a time because it was long action
Been toying with the idea of putting it back to 30-06 but to rebarrel and fix a few things like stock and such its about $1500 + you can pick up a new
sako roughteck range in 7mm 26'' barrel for about $2200 new
My biggest problem up here is getting a gunsmith i can trust after all the s&#t i went through when i got the 22-250 barrel put on the mauser
Bad crown ,head space,scratches all over the rifle stock and barrel also put a split in the stock i think from over tightening the front screw or dropped the gun
So if the stock can't be fixed, more money
After having a good think about it a 7mm will probably be the better way to go mainly because they tend to be a little more accurate than the 30-06
I know there are accurate 30-06's out there but the 7mm is deemed a more accurate rifle overall by people in the know
Also i've been told the 7mm has a little bit more get up and go than the 30-06 so i will do a bit more background work before deciding

Cheers
Member-Deleted

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles