Ruger American Rimfire - Storage space inside stock idea

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Ruger American Rimfire - Storage space inside stock idea

Post by Tiger650 » 19 Aug 2017, 6:07 pm

Recently took delivery and have not yet shot the rifle but found some interesting things that can be done which are possibly of interest.

You will be aware that the recoil pad/comb is detachable as the rifle comes fitted with a low comb for use with std iron sights and also a high comb for use with a scope ?

Just yesterday fitted a Nikon 2x7 on Weaver mounts at quiet moderate cost and also changed the recoil pad / comb to the higher comb arrangement.

That can be done in the field by loosening the rear sling swivel stud with the rear sling swivel and then unscrewing the stud by hand, no tools required.

With the comb assembly removed I was able to drill two holes in the stock, just aft of the pistol grip, to store the two allen keys required to remove the action from the stock and also remove the scope if required [revert to std iron sights].

There is a heap of space under and inside the comb, an inventive chap could store many useful things. :unknown:
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Ruger American Rimfire

Post by duncan61 » 19 Aug 2017, 9:51 pm

You have the synthetic stock??Looks cool
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gun-nut » 19 Aug 2017, 11:37 pm

I never really thought of storing items in the stock, but there certainly is plenty of space in there if one does so desire. And congrats on your new delivery. :)
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 20 Aug 2017, 7:49 pm

Cheers Gents
I was thinking something like a bore snake and some lube oil and such, the rifle could if necessary be independent of the workshop.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Seik » 23 Aug 2017, 1:27 pm

Sounds good.

Box of ammo fit in there maybe?

Handy while your wandering around for critters.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles